Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 15-12-2017, 06:31 PM
glend (Glen)

Open Cut Coal Mine near Gloucester NSW Stopped

It appears the dark sky gods have intervened to stop the plans for an open cut coal mine near Gloucester NSW. Thankfully, open cut mines are big light pollution sources as the pit haul and service roads, plus the wash plant, must be constantly lit.

http://www.theage.com.au/environment...15-h059jn.html

The visitors to Bretti will be grateful.
Old 15-12-2017, 07:04 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Good news.
Night vision for all and turn off the lights.
I see the future all have glasses like we have now do everything plus phone, net camera etc....with my idea of night vision, calling on miniaturisation here,, and turn if the lights, reducing emissions and saving the planet.
Alex
Old 16-12-2017, 03:19 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Good news.
Night vision for all and turn off the lights.
I see the future all have glasses like we have now do everything plus phone, net camera etc....with my idea of night vision, calling on miniaturisation here,, and turn if the lights, reducing emissions and saving the planet.
Alex
But all these electronic devices require more mining of exotic metals and the interconnection via internet requires more energy, so that won't solve the problem.

The key to all is less consumption of energy of resources which means that we should work much more efficiently.

EDIT: On the same page in The Age a link to the bleaching of the Great Barrier Reef, caused by ..... carbon which is also mined at Gloucester mine and Adani.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAge"
"And the cause of this? Carbon dioxide. The more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, the more acidic the ocean becomes," said Attenborough, raising the twin threat - acidification, along with warmer oceans - that is being triggered by changing the chemistry of the atmosphere.
It is a shame that well-civilized countries (like Australia and most EU countries like my own, but particularly the US under Trump) build new infrastructure for this. That should be treated as a crime against humanity.

Last edited by skysurfer; 16-12-2017 at 03:37 AM. Reason: extra link
Old 18-12-2017, 05:55 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Having past experience in OC coal mining, I can quite happily say that night operations are usually WAY OVERLIT and over the top. After leaving the lit areas, as we astronomers know, there is a period of adjustment. Critical areas of work, such as the dig face, need a good splash of light, but other areas do not. It would be more prudent to slow down just a little during night operations for the sake of safety, rather than expecting lighting towers to protect you from the perils of the night. Side effects of large lighting are disorientation in the work area as a result of shadowing and a distortion of depth of vision perception. But as they say in the industry.........."SAFETY FIRST - (AFTER PRODUCTION!)