Old 05-03-2013, 04:06 PM
leon

To SBIG or not to SBIG

Hi Guys, well to cut a long story short, I miss my Takahashi imaging rig.

With that said i ponder about getting back to imaging, and although i did enjoy, and could handle DSLR imaging through my Tak, I was wondering if the SBIG was the go next time, or do I just stick with what i know

Is this a big learning cure for an old bugger like me.

Some comments would be much appreciated

Leon
Old 05-03-2013, 04:27 PM
cventer

Leon

Unfortunately the answer to hat sends on so many variables like what equipment you will use, what you want to image etc....

Also there are options in between dslr and mono ccd. Things like one shot color ccd's like qhy10.

It's never too late to learn anything so don't let that deter you. So long as whatever you choose to do you have realistic expectations as you start you will have fun along the journey.

Nowadays getting good data is really only 40 to 50 % of the effort. The rest is then is tools for processing like ccd stack, pix insight, maxim, photoshop etc.....
Old 05-03-2013, 04:53 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Hi Guys, well to cut a long story short, I miss my Takahashi imaging rig.

With that said i ponder about getting back to imaging, and although i did enjoy, and could handle DSLR imaging through my Tak, I was wondering if the SBIG was the go next time, or do I just stick with what i know

Is this a big learning cure for an old bugger like me.

Some comments would be much appreciated

Leon
Go for it Leon, you only live once.......so many great cameras to choose from these days, from many different manufacturers too .

Mike
Old 05-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

I just purchased an SBIG 8300c OSC from a fellow IIS member as a step up from my DSLR. It's early days yet but I love the idea of being in control, via the laptop. It's a steep learning curve but very good for ones neuroplasticity!
Old 06-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Mighty_oz (Marcus)

Having seen you images from before Leon I'm sure u will be able to cope with anything. The only diff is do u want one shot colour or mono, all the rest is stuff u know how to do
What scope are u thinking go getting ? Still widefield or longer this time ?

Marcus
Old 06-03-2013, 02:52 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Can't take it with you when you go Leon, and keeping the mind active has got to help longevity!

A monochrome camera with RGB and NB filters certainly opens up a lot of opportunities. NB certainly helps with light pollution and moonful nights!

Bintel had a good prices on a QSI683 in the latest AS&T.

DT

Last edited by DavidTrap; 06-03-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-03-2013, 08:18 PM
leon

Thank You, Thank You, I appreciate all your suggestions and your faith in my abilities to give it a go.

Leon
Old 10-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Peter Tan has a 'special' going on his SBIG gear at the moment. Love that guy!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:44 PM
gregbradley

Just to be the fly in the ointment I have to say the nicest Witches Nebula shot I have ever seen was done with a modified Nikon D800 and an AP130. Its a 2 image mosaic.

So there is life in modded DSLRs. The latest models are more sensitive than the previous generation. The Sony Nex 6 or Fuji XE1 also would make a very good astrocamera- APSc sized high quality Sony Exmor sensors.

I have just ordered a Nex 6 and intend to modify it. I'll be posting results with it soon. Although I will mainly be using it for nightscapes I do intend to use it for the odd deep sky - just to see what its capable of and how far these cameras have come.

http://www3.asiaa.sinica.edu.tw/~whw..._Head_2013.htm

Greg.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Nice. A useful listing of SLR QE, min readout noise and max saturation capacity: http://www.sensorgen.info/
Old 10-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Just to be the fly in the ointment I have to say the nicest Witches Nebula shot I have ever seen was done with a modified Nikon D800 and an AP130. Its a 2 image mosaic.

Greg.
I have an AP130, a very fine telescope......no spider vanes.

So what's with the diffraction spikes? Begging the question what else isn't right about that image? (No reflection on you Greg...just I get annoyed at other people who doctor images for no good reason)
Old 10-03-2013, 10:31 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
I have an AP130, a very fine telescope......no spider vanes.

So what's with the diffraction spikes? Begging the question what else isn't right about that image? (No reflection on you Greg...just I get annoyed at other people who doctor images for no good reason)

He's probably used that diffraction spike program - I forget its name - something like Star Master.

Still an impressive image for a DSLR no?

Greg.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
He's probably used that diffraction spike program - I forget its name - something like Star Master.

Still an impressive image for a DSLR no?

Greg.
Fake diffraction spikes are easy to pick (these are not fake)

...but.. duh... just read the equipment specs... wasn't an AP130.....

Nice image...but the noise and burnt-out stars still tell me a CCD would have done a better job.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:54 PM
naskies (Dave)

Quote:
This is a beautiful image (I would be very happy to capture something like this one day), but to be fair in the context of the DSLR vs CCD discussion this is basically the best case scenario for a DSLR:

* It was taken with an f/2.8 telescope that costs ~ $5400 USD, and mounted on a $10,800 USD mount.
* It was shot in Yushan National Park, Taiwan where 2/3rds of the park is > 2,000 m elevation - the Tataka visitor centre is at an elevation of 2,600 m.
* It was shot in winter: the night-time temperatures in Yushan for the nights in question were around 0 to 2 deg C.

If I had those conditions, I'd be a very happy camper with a DSLR too I think we've all seen the fantastic gallery of images by that guy in Namibia with just a modified 5DmkII.

At f/8, 25+ deg C ambient temperature, and close to sea level... I know which I'd much rather have
Old 11-03-2013, 05:57 AM
gregbradley

Ah yes its a Tak 180 F2.8ED.

Yes all you say is true. DSLRs are great fun but there still is a substantial gap.

Greg.