Old 10-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Carl

focus and guiding nightmare

Anyone else out there in Victoria having a hell of a time focusing and guiding at the moment? I can't believe how bad the skies are, I'm lucky to hold focus even just using an bahtinov mask. HFR in Nebulosity focusing mode is all over the place.

Think I'll skip Summer and just head on back to winter, even that's been bad this year.

Merry Christmas to all

Carl
The grumpy back yard astronomer
Old 10-12-2012, 10:40 PM
lepton3 (Ivan)

Not just Victoria. Here in Adelaide, it is abominable too. Pretty much a waste of time for imaging I would have thought. I expect I will still get some useful photometry, however.

-Ivan
Old 10-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepton3 View Post
Not just Victoria. Here in Adelaide, it is abominable too. Pretty much a waste of time for imaging I would have thought. I expect I will still get some useful photometry, however.

-Ivan
Hi Ivan
Yep shocking but I'm still giving it a go tonight, It's clear but that's about it

Carl
Old 10-12-2012, 10:59 PM
blink138 (Pat)

since i have had my first "serious" telescope i cannot believe how few nights are actually available each month!
not happy jan!
pat
Old 10-12-2012, 11:11 PM
swannies1983 (Dan)

I thought it was just me (south of Adelaide). Guide star going all over the place. Mind you, I'm getting nice round stars so I will continue imaging the Horse with my new RC8.

The major problem at this time of year where I live is strong gully winds. Last night was shocking with winds gusting up to around 50km/hr. The same was supposed to happen tonight but it's pretty calm. I'm actually quite surprised at how well my subs turned out last night. If the guiding I experienced last night was with my 8" Newt, the subs would have looked terrible. The RC, with a longer FL, is performing really well.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Carl

Night goes from bad to worse

Just went out to move my dome and had a peek at the images. All 20 shot at 800iso not 1600, no wonder they looked different from the subs taken the other night. Mind you my focus has improved a bit now.

I'm going to get this bloody nebula if it kills me. If Mother nature doesn't get you stupidity does.

Carl