Old 09-08-2011, 10:45 AM
creeker (Ed)

Anyone using the Flea 3 CCD camera

Hello
Is anyone using the Flea 3 CCD camera from Point Gray? If so is it good for planet imaging? Does the fire-wire model get it's power through the fire-wire cable? The one I'm interested in is the color one with the Sony X618 chip. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
regards
Ed
Old 10-08-2011, 06:41 PM
tonybarry (Tony)

Yes mate there are a couple of people here using the Flea3, specifically for planetary work. They are all using monochrome sensors though.

Yes the camera does get power through the FW cable. It's quite a modest consumer - about 2.5W @ 12V

I am in line to purchase a Flea3 for myself, but it too will be monochrome.

Regards,
Tony Barry
Old 12-08-2011, 07:14 AM
creeker (Ed)

Thank you Tony
I guess I will be going with the mono version. In looking at the images posted on this forum and others it appears most are using mono. Thanks for your info on the power usage of the Flea 3.The product web site is lacking in some areas. I will be purchasing a camera as soon as I get a new laptop. This past week I've been getting the infamous Microsoft "blue screen". :-(
regards
Ed
Old 12-08-2011, 07:19 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hey Ed

If you want a colour camera, the DFK or DBK's are good. They've got models with the new 618 chip which is more sensitive than the older DMK21AU04.

The Flea3 is probably the most popular around the world right now with the experienced planetary imagers. But like Tony said, it's monochrome.

If you haven't done RGB imaging with a monochrome camera before, or any planetary imaging before, starting monochrome is a tough ask.

I'd be cutting my teeth on a one-shot colour camera and learning the ropes before diving into monochrome imaging. It just takes much more work in setup, capture and processing - that it can put you off if you're not sure what you're doing.
Old 13-08-2011, 07:07 PM
creeker (Ed)

Hello Mike
From what I have been reading on line, what you are saying is true. Mono imagining seems to be more involved than what I want to get into. I and shying away from mono since my other posts, as I have researched more on the web. I didn't realize there was so much of a difference between the capture and the processing of a mono and color.
thanks loads for your input
Ed
Old 13-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Paul Haese

Yep using the Flea3 monochrome. Great for planetary imaging. This is my fourth planetary imaging camera. Last one was the Lumenera skynyx2-0, before that the dmk21A and before that the Toucam 840K. My latest Saturn image was taken with the Flea3 monochrome in good seeing.

The monochrome Flea requires an 34 adapter which is powered via an 12volt AC adapter. The fire wire version will give you the faster download rates if you use the 800 34adapter.

However if you are wanting just a colour camera then you should do as Mike has suggested. No point in paying for a really expensive colour camera.
Old 15-08-2011, 12:41 AM
creeker (Ed)

Thanks for your input Paul. I'm learning it's not all that simple. Knowing now what goes into the excellent images I see posted here make me appreciate them a lot more. Where I have my telescope located, Jupiter will not clear my tree line until the middle of November. This will give me some time to sort out which camera I will go with. The help that I've gotten here will make it easier for me.
regards
Ed

PS
My wife will never agree to my cutting down those trees. I may sneak out some night and pour copper sulfate around their bases.