Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 17-09-2010, 05:26 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Post Small Portable Generators

I was just pricing the cost of buying a sealed gel battery (50-100Ah) compared to a small generator. You can pick up a Homelite 720W 2 stroke generator from Bunnings for $150. Even a relatively cheap 50Ah gel battery will set you back over $200-$250!!!!!

You could buy a small generator, a small UPS and some extension cords for about the same cost as you'd pay for one of the smaller batteries and the what makes it even better is you'll have power for a lot longer. Buy some power supplies for your equipment or use the ones they come with and you're set!!!

No need to buy multiple batteries to run everything.

This would be great if you're running several scopes at the same time, away from home, plus all the add on bits.
Old 17-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Barrykgerdes

I have one of those GMC 750 watt 2 stroke generators from Bunnings. It cost $99 but other than testing it I have never used it. It is quite noisy at full load.

I bought a 2.7 KVA 4 stroke "quiet" generators off ebay for $600 it is a far better proposition. It is quiet 59db and has electric start/stop (remote). Runs everything and on a light load of caravan lighting, 2 Computers , G11, camera etc. It will run all night on 5 litres of fuel. Sure beats batteries. On a full load (SPSP at Wiruna about 1.5KW) it ran for about 5 hours before running out of fuel.

I must I am lazy and like the convenience of 240V AC in the field.

Barry
Old 17-09-2010, 06:05 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Generators are fine if you are working on your own, be careful an considerate if you intend using it at star parties especially a 2 stroke as you will more than likely be told to turn it off.

Not only light pollution is an issue but noise from generators is discouraged as well.
Old 17-09-2010, 06:35 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
Generators are fine if you are working on your own, be careful an considerate if you intend using it at star parties especially a 2 stroke as you will more than likely be told to turn it off.

Not only light pollution is an issue but noise from generators is discouraged as well.
That's why you have a long extension lead

It's either that or pay through the nose for sealed gel batteries. I think $340 for a 75-80Ah battery is a bit much, and if you want or need more power you can go buy a 180-220Ah battery for $820-$950. As long as your generator isn't too noisy (60-70dB isn't too bad if placed strategically) then I think they can put up with it.
Old 17-09-2010, 06:39 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post

I wish that some of the people at Star Parties who whinge about light pollution, would have the same zeal when it comes to Noise pollution.
It gets right up my nose when you have four or five different observers playing different music, and loud to boot, with no consideration for others
Silence is Golden
Old 17-09-2010, 06:42 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Carl, How loud is the Bunnings Frdge, and would it power a couple of small camp Fridges
Cheers

Last edited by astroron; 17-09-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 17-09-2010, 07:00 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Honda genies are more expensive but only produce 52dB of noise and will run for 8 hours on 2L of fuel producing 1kVA. If 52 dB is too loud then you had better not fart or breath while you observe.

Mark