Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Poll: what do you shoot?
Poll Options
what do you shoot?

Old 19-07-2007, 11:11 AM
avandonk
avandonk

For astro I always shoot raw & jpg at highest setting. Sometimes I get lazy and shoot auto for terrestial which only gives jpg. This is more for happy snaps not serious imaging. I never erase any images. I have everything backed up onto hard drives on multiple computers four desk and a remote Netgear network disk(s) 1TB. The only problem is finding things fast.

Bert
Old 19-07-2007, 11:36 AM
RB (Andrew)

I always shoot in RAW and highest jpg too.
My only regret is that I didn't start shooting RAW from the start when I first started in astro.

Shooting in both modes (if you can) gives you the most flexibility.
I can quickly view/download all my shots in jpg and go back and select the RAWs I want to work on.

Do yourself a favour, shoot in both.
If you don't have enough experience working in RAW then use your jpgs but at least you'll have the RAW file if one day you want to go back and re-edit once you acquire the knowhow.

Memory is cheap now, LOL a 4gb CF Sandisk is around $100, even cheaper if you shop around, this is huge storage.
When I got my 300D, a 256mb CF was considered large !

Old 19-07-2007, 11:45 AM
avandonk
avandonk

RB is correct. You can always go back later even if you don't use the raws straight away. One thing I am doing more on these cloudy rainy nights is going back and reprocessing earlier data as you will be surprised how much better you get with more experience and practise.

Bert
Old 20-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Ingo

I only use Raw now (NEF). I used Raw at a play at school shooting ISO1600 @ F2.8. I was amazed to find that there was very little monochromic noise, and absolutely NO color noise. Raw takes off all the extra settings and just shoots a plain image straight from the sensor.

I love my D50!