Old 10-12-2005, 08:37 AM
Thiink

Camera tripod - ideas?

My birthday and xmas are coming up, so between them Im sure I can scam a new tripod from someone (parents, or SWMBO). What should I be looking for, or any suggestions for tripods at, around or less than $150 (including links to stores online if possible?).

ps. Its going to be used for the 350D.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:50 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Manfrotto brand is really solid, but it will probably blow your budget.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

I saw a Velbon brand tripod at Teds camera last weekend at about $140 which should do nicely for a camera. It was rated at 3.5kg, sadly not enough for what I want.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:05 PM
beren

While back I was going through the same thing , i ended up with a manfrotto 190CL with a manfrotto 141rc 3 way tilt/pan head through a little searching and haggling for 245AU {full price ranged from 265-311/tripod 220/head 120}.This is over your budget but in the short experience Ive had mine i reckon its worth it to spend a little bit more . Its quick to set up , versatile with positions and rigid {even use my 20x80s binos on it {pushing it though but usable}}.

http://www.dvdreamtime.com.au/catalo...cPath=30_35_57
Old 10-12-2005, 02:40 PM
rumples riot
Who knows

Go the Manfrotto. To hell with the budget. Great tripods and good in high wind.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:22 PM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

yer go the '6 footer' Manfrotto I have an 055CL with the famous 141RC head - a little pricey at the time, but it would last a lifetime or two very easily. Used a few cheaper plastic ones before I got this one - what a difference! I would never go back to the cheaper ones - would rather die!!) too short (I am a 6 footer too - believe me it is nice to stand upright occasionally) and too flimsy (specially fully extended) and unusable in the dark - i use it to mount binos as well occasionally - including my 25x100's - no problemo (would like a more suitable one for large bino's though eventaully )
Old 11-12-2005, 10:10 PM
rowena

My best tripod isnt a brand tripod. The manfrotto's are great because they are light... but when it comes to a bit of a wind... and long exposures... that doesnt mix!!!

I picked up a tripod at Wollongong's Computer Fairs for $90. It is a aliuminmum frame, but with wide legs, and the mount that the camera goes on not only goes around 360degrees, i can also move it up and down plus i can mount the camera at a 'right angle' so to speak. It is a heavier tripod to lift, but i wanted a heaver tripod purely so that it wouldnt move at all if a bit of a breeze hit it (if you know what i mean). Unfortunalty its a no name brand, so i cant even give u a starter where to look.

Ohh something else to look for.... The mount u actually attach to the camera can either use a screwdriver or there are ones that you just flip up and use the flippy up part to screw the mount onto the bottom of the camera. the flip up ones are great, no need for a screwdriver, its attached to the mount itself so no losing bits. (if i have confused u.. i can get a photo! )
Old 11-12-2005, 10:19 PM
rumples riot
Who knows

Rowena, not all Manfrotto tripods are light. When you get up to the 1k mark these tripods are pro quality and very wind resistant. I have been in strong winds with my manfrotto and done long exposures of buildings at night with a 80-400 Nikon VR lens and never lost a single frame. Like everything you have to spend the bucks to get the best results.
Old 15-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Thiink

Hm searching around for Manfrotto tripods and heads online, as there is nothing available locally. Would the 190D tripod with the 141RC head be adequate? I need a multi-purpose tripod that can be used for macro/close-ups, as well as for bushwalking etc. So it has to be somewhat light, but still stable. Do the Manfrotto tripods normally come with a carry bag for bush walking etc as standard, or is it an accessory?
Old 15-12-2005, 04:09 PM
rumples riot
Who knows

This looks very similar to the 155D tripod, so would be pretty sturdy. Manfrotto has tripod bags, however they don't come with the item. You need to purchase them separately.
Old 15-12-2005, 04:23 PM
Thiink

They arent cheap either!
Old 15-12-2005, 04:29 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

How about the one from AOE? Good excuse to buy a big bino as well .