Old 11-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Dennis G
Dennis G

Toucam software and cooling the Toucam

*Toucam control software.* Is there a software control program available that will provide more accurate settings to the Toucam, that can be opened and adjusted over the top of the image?

*Cooling the Toucam . *Mechanically cooling the exterior of the Toucam case with a small fan, will this reduce heat noise?
I must point out that the rear section of the Toucam case is plastic and I have no knowledge of its heat transfer properties.

Your replies would be much appreciated
Dennis Greeve
Old 12-05-2008, 02:00 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Dennis

What sort of settings do you need to adjust? What program are you using at the moment, and what doesn't it do that you want it to?

Regarding cooling, it's unlikely that cooling a ToUcam will have too much effect. For planetary imaging, our exposures are so short that it wouldn't make too much difference. I'm sure the heat and noise builds up over a night but I'm not sure - I guess it's worth a try.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:51 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Dennis, if you do a google search you'll find there are some articles on Peltier mods to the Toucam, from memory, these are only effective for longer exposures as Mike says.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Dennis G
Dennis G

Thank all for your reply. I have submitted an article regarding cooling of the Toucam as an experiment to see if it reduces heat noise. My Toucam has not been set up for long exposures and is used for moon and planet recordings, but recording over a period of an hour (20 recordings) the case warms up.
Regarding the Toucam software. Camera settings are very basic and I hoped there was better software available.
Dennis G
Old 12-05-2008, 11:28 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

You should look at k3ccdtools version 1 (it's free). It's loads better than vrecord or AMCap.

It lets you have a "white level" histogram and it's much easier to change the framerate and other settings. It also has automatic file-naming which is a must, in my opinion.