Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 03-03-2021, 04:49 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,846
Do the Funky Chicken

in 1969 Rufus Thomas wrote -
"You flap your arms and your feet start kicking
Then you know you doin' the funky chicken".


Which is possibly what the guys at the AAO were doing when they named the 'Running Chicken' nebula!

I've presented NB versions of this timeless classic target here with and without stars, as I'm still waiting for the clouds to clear to capture some RGB ones.

6 Hrs HA x 900 sec
2 Hrs O3 x 900 sec
3 Hrs S2 x 900 Sec

Taken via Stellarmate (while sleeping ) from my light polluted suburban Backyard in Melbourne.

PS: Just for comparison - Here is a version I did 6 years ago, been much water under the bridge since then!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IC-2944-HaO3S2-stars_WB_iis.jpg)
198.3 KB173 views
Click for full-size image (IC-2944-HaO3S2_Starless_WM_iis.jpg)
175.1 KB132 views

Last edited by Andy01; 03-03-2021 at 04:51 PM. Reason: photo size
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-03-2021, 05:17 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,505
Well, I haven't done a roll over to check whether the detail is real or not but have to say, very nice indeed Andy...both of them (did I say that?)

Mike
they still don't really count though cus yer were asleep while they were taken
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-2021, 05:43 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Well, I haven't done a roll over to check whether the detail is real or not but have to say, very nice indeed Andy...both of them (did I say that?)

Mike
they still don't really count though cus yer were asleep while they were taken
Thanks Mike, pretty confident that the details are real on these.
Oh, and although I didn’t have to, my internal alarm went off & woke me around meridian flip time, so I found myself hopping out of bed just to check all was well with the ‘scope- which of course it was, (loving this automation thing!)just force of habit I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-03-2021, 05:48 PM
AdamJL
Registered User

AdamJL is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 381
yeah that's gorgeous. Lovely soft pallette.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-03-2021, 05:55 PM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 7,295
Excellent chook.....in fact, Finger Lickin' Good.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-03-2021, 06:05 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 16,815
Love it. I like the starless best.

You really have the narrowband gig down pat.

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-03-2021, 06:18 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Placidus is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Euchareena, NSW
Posts: 3,638
This one is superb.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-03-2021, 06:20 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
yeah that's gorgeous. Lovely soft pallette.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Excellent chook.....in fact, Finger Lickin' Good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Love it. I like the starless best.

You really have the narrowband gig down pat.

Greg.
Thanks very much Adam, Peter, Greg, Mike & Trish for the good vibes.
This is my fourth visit to this wonderful target, each time using a different telescope!
I’ve done wide, ultrawide and tight closeup and each ‘scopes FOV shows a pleasantly different perspective. Nice easy bright target too

Last edited by Andy01; 03-03-2021 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Missed one!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-03-2021, 07:46 PM
AUST2000 (Andrew)
Registered User

AUST2000 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Australia
Posts: 42
I really like this too Andy. It is interesting to look back 6 years and see that was a wonderful image also. Technology and processing techniques have added a lot. I look forward to looking at what you come up with in 6 years time.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-03-2021, 09:05 PM
Nikolas's Avatar
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Nikolas is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,013
I really like it Andy the starless image has a real ethereal quality to it a little bit different but really lovely
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-03-2021, 08:55 AM
markas (Mark)
Registered User

markas is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 325
Superb renditions! Guess I prefer the stars to anchor the image, but the starless version is a great photographic abstract.


Mark
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-03-2021, 09:40 AM
marc4darkskies's Avatar
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

marc4darkskies is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Quialigo, NSW
Posts: 2,921
Very nice indeed Andy! Palette is pleasing to the eye and the large details are smooth but detailed.

Nothing much to pick on but some of those small Bok globs look a little forced and unreal though.

Now, how about some natural palette = less "funky" images!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-03-2021, 09:56 AM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUST2000 View Post
I really like this too Andy. It is interesting to look back 6 years and see that was a wonderful image also. Technology and processing techniques have added a lot. I look forward to looking at what you come up with in 6 years time.
Ha Ha, cheers Andrew - yes my processing skills & optics have gradually improved over time, mind you so has the software!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
I really like it Andy the starless image has a real ethereal quality to it a little bit different but really lovely
Cheers Nik - I prefer the starless one too - ethereal eh, I like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by markas View Post
Superb renditions! Guess I prefer the stars to anchor the image, but the starless version is a great photographic abstract.


Mark
Thanks Mark, something for everyone then

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
Very nice indeed Andy! Palette is pleasing to the eye and the large details are smooth but detailed.

Nothing much to pick on but some of those small Bok globs look a little forced and unreal though.

Now, how about some natural palette = less "funky" images!
Hi Marcus, thanks for your detailed comments. Here is a closeup of the original captured Ha Bok globule detail straight out of APP vs. the finished image for your reference.

As to natural palette, nah, you're a master of them but that's really not my thing and sadly my suburban skies are rubbish anyway. If we ever have a star party again, I'll look forward to attempting LRGB targets, but until then it has to be NB for me
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 9.49.32 am.jpg)
79.4 KB48 views

Last edited by Andy01; 04-03-2021 at 11:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-03-2021, 10:38 AM
JA
.....

JA is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,942
Nice image Andy. I really like the way the colours graduate almost as if a rainbow, most evident in the top left.

Best
JA
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-03-2021, 12:13 PM
matlud (Mathew)
Registered User

matlud is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NZ
Posts: 15
Awesome, I like the starless best for this one. Nice that there is still a smidge of green tones visible and has some nice 3D depth to it.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-03-2021, 12:34 PM
The_bluester's Avatar
The_bluester (Paul)
Registered User

The_bluester is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kilmore, Australia
Posts: 2,905
Really nice image AC. Maybe we will get lucky this month weather wise and you can come and do RGB from here.

Really interesting to see the comparo back to the old WO scope. It was a nice scope but just seems to lack that last little bit of sharpness. I wonder how it would do if it was brought in to the current era with automated focus so it could be kept as well focused as possible through the whole night.

Last edited by The_bluester; 04-03-2021 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-03-2021, 12:57 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Nice image Andy. I really like the way the colours graduate almost as if a rainbow, most evident in the top left.

Best
JA
Thanks JA - there's some interesting structures in the Hydrogen gas there, it's almost like a barrier holding in the swirling maelstrom of O3 & S2 within.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matlud View Post
Awesome, I like the starless best for this one. Nice that there is still a smidge of green tones visible and has some nice 3D depth to it.
Cheers Mathew, I'm leaning towards the starless one as well, interesting that a few have picked up on the 3D appearance, wonder what it would look like from another viewpoint, say side on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Really nice image AC. Maybe we will get lucky this month weather wise and you can come and do RGB from here.

Really interesting to see the comparo back to the old WO scope. It was a nice scope but just seems to lack that last little bit of sharpness. I wonder how it would do if it was brought in to the current era with automated focus so it could be kept as well focuses as possible through the whole night.
Thanks Paul, who knows with the weather? Must be almost time for the clouds to disappear when the moon is new for once

Have to agree about the sharpness. At risk of a bad pun, the 'Tak sharpness' from this big Takahashi 130's optics is really noticeable, (now the tilt & spacing have finally been corrected!) when compared to the WO FLT110.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-03-2021, 05:23 PM
CoolhandJo's Avatar
CoolhandJo (Paul)
Registered User

CoolhandJo is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,425
Exceptional colours, clarity, depth and soooo close!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-03-2021, 06:24 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,846
Thanks Paul, did you mean close as in only 5,000 LY distant or tightly framed? Lol thanks for the nice comments
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-03-2021, 10:25 PM
mswhin63's Avatar
mswhin63 (Malcolm)
Registered User

mswhin63 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Para Hills, South Australia
Posts: 3,493
:thum bsup:
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 05:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Limpet Controller
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Testar
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement