Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 10-08-2020, 06:10 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

ioptron CEM70G. I am taking a risk a little on the inbuilt guider, if that is a dud I have paid an extra $900 for USB3 connectivity (Which they should put in all of them) and the convenience of an inbuilt USB hub that covers the three connectors on the puck, the mount connection and connection to the inbuilt polarscope. All going well I will need two cables to the mount, a 12VDC cable to power it and the camera and focus motor, and a single USB3 cable for everything else.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:37 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

One thing I have worked out already, I don't know if this carries across to DSS as I am using APP for stacking. When creating the master darks, APP has a setting "Adaptive pedestal" which is supposed to help avoid black clipping in cameras with strong glows (like my ASI294) but for other cams it is supposed to make no difference. What I did find was that it produced a spectacular and unfixable red cast in the last colour calibration steps when a master dark produced that way was applied.

With a big caveat that this was unguided and the spacing is not right, this is first light for my cam, 20 X 120 second subs with a master dark and no other calibration frames, minor tweaking in photoshop, it would stand being stretched a lot harder too. I didn't get much done last night as I spent most of the night trying to work out why the imaging PC would not connect and behave on the wifi (I use it headless normally and remote in to it) it seems my laptop interferes with it on the wifi. Time for a modern dual radio AP so I can put the imaging PC on one band and the laptop on another to make them play nice! As soon as I turned off the laptop the imaging rig sprang in to life. If I buy a new Unifi AP I can set it up with different networks on the different bands to force them apart from each other.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/os76ij/0/?nc=user
Old 10-08-2020, 09:03 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Paul
Just saw your image on Astrobin
Superb image with so much detail at your image scale / focal length
Colours are perfect
You must be super pleased with this result
Well done !!
My camera is arriving today via StarTrack
Martin
Old 10-08-2020, 09:42 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

The one linked above? Yeah, I am happy with that as a first light. I am not going to go any further until my mount arrives so I can go guided. The unguided tracking is not good enough to run 2 minutes so it is making it hard to work out the spacing with spacing and tracking both making for wonky stars.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:51 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Just received my ASI2600MC today, unpacked , powered up on kitchen table and connected to Laptop via 5m USB cable
ZWO Drivers loaded , updated Ascom platform to 6.5 , ASI drivers installed
Connected to APT , cooled camera to -10C , set a dummy capture plan and mapped pathway on my D drive for files , started plan and all files downloaded
All working perfectly so far in bench test mode
Fitted camera with adapters and spacers into focuser of newt , 55mm backfocus looks ok but won’t know until imaging

Now for some clear nights , although forecast is still ordinary , another east coast low pushing in on Friday

Give us a break !!
Old 11-08-2020, 05:44 PM
gregbradley

Congrats Martin. I look forward to seeing your images.

Greg.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:11 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Congrats, good to see they appear to have production ramped up with the batches coming a bit quicker. I am looking forward to getting mine dialled in properly now but I don't expect any suitable weather for a while. Hopefully my new mount arrives before good weather does so I don't have to steal the mount I gave to my son back.

Time for another pier block for me I think.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:18 AM
Spidy (Phil)

Dumb question Martin, but what do you mean by "bench test mode"?

Also, when testing the camera on the bench, did you need to connect it to a lens or scope?

In fact, if anybody has any tips or tricks on how to test a new camera I'd like to hear them. Dylon O'Donnell talked about testing prior to connecting but didn't really give any details.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:38 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Phil
I’m just bench testing the camera for functionality only so I know it will connect and operate when eventually installed in the telescope
The real optical test is out on a clear night in the telescope , if we ever get one !!
Cheers
Old 12-08-2020, 01:52 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Phil, pretty much what Martin posted, the only real testing you can do is to make sure that your software will connect, take exposures and actually get images back by way of shooting dark frames and perhaps removing the cap and shooting a few more short exposures to make sure it responds to light, test that the cooling is working etc. Much easier and less frustrating to test all of that stuff on the bench rather than doing it outside in the cold and dark.

In my case I did the above and shot a full dark frame library of the exposure times I expect to use before I looked at screwing it on to the telescope.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:10 PM
Spidy (Phil)

Thanks Paul and Martin for your replies. I might do what you both suggest.

In the mean time, I'm in "back focus hell" trying to find all the pieces I need to use with the Edge 9.25, COAG connected to an ASI071 and a 174mm guide camera and with and without the .7 reducer.

And trying to fit a 2" filter into the image train, well........