Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 25-11-2020, 10:50 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

NGC 7424 - Spiral Galaxy in Grus

NGC 7424, a spiral galaxy located in the constellation of Grus approximately 37.5 million light years away. Data for this object was collected over two years, not because I planned to but because I forgot about the data that I collected in 2018 until I found it again in 2020 lurking about on my hard drive. By lucky happenstance it just happened to be the right time of year to start imaging the object again so I kept going to collect more data. This was fortunate because NGC 7424 is rather small in the field of view on my imaging set up and by capturing more data this enabled me to use drizzle integration in post processing. This allowed me to crop in to the main subject without losing too much resolution.

Because of my generous field of view (1.5d x 1d), I had the opportunity to try a slightly different composition here so have deliberately placed the galaxy in a commanding position in the corner of the frame. The remaining field is speckled with bright stars of various colours and numerous galaxies which contribute well to the overall scene. I have included a second annotated thumb nail image which shows some of the many small galaxies there are that populate this busy field.

Link to Astrobin image here.
Click and zoom on Flickr here.

CS,
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC7424_HaRGB_V4_1000px.jpg)
76.2 KB55 views
Click for full-size image (NGC7424_HaRGB_V4_Annotated_1000px.jpg)
85.7 KB37 views
Old 26-11-2020, 06:52 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Love the composition. The sharpness and clarity of the field is astounding. That combo meant lots of fun exploring the background.
Old 26-11-2020, 08:40 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

Really nicely framed. +1 its a fun image to trawl through
Old 26-11-2020, 09:29 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Considering the specs of your rig Rod, that's pretty darn good Pleasant surprise finding that data too, reminds me, I think I have a coupl'a old unfinished sets or false starts sitting arourd somewhere...better check my imaging log book

Mike
Old 26-11-2020, 09:42 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Love the composition. The sharpness and clarity of the field is astounding. That combo meant lots of fun exploring the background.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Really nicely framed. +1 its a fun image to trawl through
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Considering the specs of your rig Rod, that's pretty darn good Pleasant surprise finding that data too, reminds me, I think I have a coupl'a old unfinished sets or false starts sitting arourd somewhere...better check my imaging log book

Mike
Thanks team for your responses. It is probably a bit crazy going for small galaxies with my set up but fun all the same @Mike, yes - do make sure to check your records, you never know what may be lurking therin. I have no idea why I didn't go ahead with this two years ago as the data was hiding in plane sight in the imaging folder on my server