Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 22-10-2020, 02:17 PM
Evo5RS (Z)

Heya team! Hope all is well.

I have made some straps with some non slip grip inside makes moving the scope so much easier! Will post up some pics.

I currently have a straight finder scope which i HATE with a passion. Just so uncomfy to use.

Was looking at getting a telrad as seems pretty good.

My question was am i better off getting a telrad and pairing it with my straight finder scope or am i better off getting a telrad and a RACI or just getting a RACI with no telrad. If that makes sense.

So basically
Telrad with straight finderscope ($136NZD)
Telrad with RACI ($232NZD)
RACI ($130NZD)
Old 23-10-2020, 10:25 AM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hey mate, I would grab the telrad first and see how you go. I find that I rarely use my finder as you can find most stuff with a telrad and low power eyepiece. The telrad is one of the best accessories I've bought. Takes a lot of frustration out of finding things.
Cheers, Richard.
Old 23-10-2020, 11:20 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Hey Zed, $232 is a lot of dosh for what you are trying to achieve. I'd try to get a GSO 9x50 or similar RACI 2nd hand right here on these classifieds. The eyepiece end can be rotated to be within easy reach when you are positioned for the main eyepiece.

A Telrad is arguably the reference in 1x RDFs but also a very bulky device that does exactly the same as other types of less fancy red dot finders that cost half as much and are much smaller. Again, the classifieds is your friend (if you can afford to wait a little).
Old 23-10-2020, 01:47 PM
Evo5RS (Z)

Quote:
Originally Posted by croweater View Post
Hey mate, I would grab the telrad first and see how you go. I find that I rarely use my finder as you can find most stuff with a telrad and low power eyepiece. The telrad is one of the best accessories I've bought. Takes a lot of frustration out of finding things.
Cheers, Richard.
Cheers Richard for the reply will defs look into this as i get very frustrated and a sore back lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Hey Zed, $232 is a lot of dosh for what you are trying to achieve. I'd try to get a GSO 9x50 or similar RACI 2nd hand right here on these classifieds. The eyepiece end can be rotated to be within easy reach when you are positioned for the main eyepiece.

A Telrad is arguably the reference in 1x RDFs but also a very bulky device that does exactly the same as other types of less fancy red dot finders that cost half as much and are much smaller. Again, the classifieds is your friend (if you can afford to wait a little).
Cheers Mirko for the reply. $232 is a lot of money. I will defs keep an eye out for a 2nd hand RACI. Wish NZ had some good classifieds, I have been keeping an eye on trademe but I just need to be patient like I was with the dob. Im not very patient though lol.
Old 23-10-2020, 03:45 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

I pefer the telrad to a red dot finder (I have a rdf on my small scopes). I find the red circles better. If you the get the object inside the 4 degree circle it will be in your finder. Inside the .5 degree circle the object will be visible in a low power eyepiece in your main scope. The circles also help judge distance while starhopping.
Cheers Richard
Old 23-10-2020, 05:28 PM
Evo5RS (Z)

Quote:
Originally Posted by croweater View Post
I pefer the telrad to a red dot finder (I have a rdf on my small scopes). I find the red circles better. If you the get the object inside the 4 degree circle it will be in your finder. Inside the .5 degree circle the object will be visible in a low power eyepiece in your main scope. The circles also help judge distance while starhopping.
Cheers Richard
I've found a rigel quickfinder scope for $70. Am tempted to grab that since I won't need to buy a riser also. Have read that the telrad is better but is very close?
Old 23-10-2020, 08:29 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Rigel quickfinder looks pretty good. Haven't seen one before. Reviews seem pretty good. Maybe at that price try that.

Last edited by croweater; 23-10-2020 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Spelling