Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 22-10-2020, 04:58 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

I've got both but started with an ed80 type scope. Recommend the ed80 - so much easier, given there's so much other stuff to figure out with AP
Old 19-11-2020, 09:50 AM
cjpops (Craig)

Ended up ordering a 8" newt and a NEQ6 Pro now getting a bit nervous learning this new curve. Hopefully it all works out over time.

Thanks everyone.
Old 25-11-2020, 02:14 PM
cjpops (Craig)

Hi all, just wondering if this would be ok to power the NEQ6?
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...=aw.ds&start=3
Old 25-11-2020, 02:42 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpops View Post
Hi all, just wondering if this would be ok to power the NEQ6?
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...=aw.ds&start=3
That is a very high price to pay for what exactly..looks fancy but I could not find the battery capacity...anyways why not just buy a good deep cycle battery? It will be better than that thing I bet...so what to do ...put a switch in line and permanently wire the eq6 power lead to the battery...plus by a $25 2 amp battery charger from Kmart ...with all the money left over you could buy a 200 watt inverter to charge your lap top...and with all the money you still haven't spent get take a ways pizza for dinner and a six pack.

Addition edit..it says 2400 amps ??? I can't figure that out?.? I recently paid 5 k from memory for 1300 amp hours so something does not seem right...anyways check out deep cycle batteries...do you know anything about battery capacity and working out what you need? I use 120 amp hour battery and change everything to 240 volt via a 200 watt inverter...if just to power your mount a $150 battery will do the job.
Don't forget a fuse.
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 25-11-2020 at 03:00 PM.
Old 25-11-2020, 03:07 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
That is a very high price to pay for what exactly..looks fancy but I could not find the battery capacity...anyways why not just buy a good deep cycle battery?
Very good point Alex. Digging a little deeper (in the User Manual, linked below) it contains TWO 12V 22Amp.hour batteries. i.e: 44 Ah Storage.
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on...ets/562418.pdf

That it contained TWO such batteries really surprised me knowing the size of the unit and of a typical battery around that size, UNTIL I saw the back of the thing it is double the typical depth of such devices and weighs in at ~16kg, but at $350-ish, I take your point: no. Just buy an appropriate deep cycle battery

Best
JA
Old 25-11-2020, 03:35 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Here is a battery of greater capacity (although it says one amp more I bet it will be further ahead of what supercheap unit actually rates at ..).. and I expect just superior quality for a lot less...just add a cigarette plug ..forget my wire idea it's just that I like good connections...I think there is a fuse in the eq6 lead..I will check mine later...but please don't buy that thing it's for mugs..in my view.

This company is the place to get your batteries ... this is where solar power started and if you have a problem they are not going anywhere..I buy from them and you must know how demanding a customer I am...

https://www.rpc.com.au/catalog/ritar...ah-p-2443.html

What we should do is for you to list what the battery will power..maybe only the mount now but if you are going to do photography there is a camera, maybe a cooler, and a lap top, and a dew heater perhaps...

Alex
Old 26-11-2020, 09:00 AM
cjpops (Craig)

Thanks everyone. Will look into it.

In the meantime, I have a external power point - was wondering if this would be powerful enough to support the NEQ6?
https://www.jaycar.com.au/12vdc-7-5a...ocket/p/MP3575

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the size and weight of the NEQ6, hopefully i can work this out soon.

Cheers

Last edited by cjpops; 26-11-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 26-11-2020, 10:48 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

7.5 amps is more than enough so it should be fine.

Don't be overwhelmed ..I can manage it.. I am 74 and pass for a cripple..the handle makes all the difference and just move slow and deliberate.

I will get one of those 240 to the cigarette lighter plug...although everything comes from a 12 volt battery I want a 240 volt system...I have my reasons.

Anyways $50 is a far better solution than $350 off grid power is really not that romantic..if you have grid be happy and use it..much cheaper in the long run.

There must be a 240 volt to 12 volt unit that you can plug straight in...I can understand their (Skywatcher) approach however as just picking up a 240 to 12 volt is not the answer if you don't ensure correct amps an the mount wants it's correct power.

Good luck...just get it going and enjoy it..I have had an eq6 since they first came out and very happy with my new one...pier mounted so I don't have to worry about carrying it...but in moving it about I was surprised how the handle made it much more managable..haven't pulled it down yet as it runs rather well.

Alex
Old 26-11-2020, 01:18 PM
cjpops (Craig)

Thanks Alex.

Looking at my NEQ6 - it doesn't seem to come with a handle - not sure why it doesn't have it considering the weight.

Will get that socket and start to have a play with it.
Old 26-11-2020, 06:45 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

You can make a handle that fits where you put the scope.. hold it in place the same way as if it were a scope...it really helps..I had such on my old eq6...don't know where it is these days or I would post a photo...two bits of wood forming a t section..one part is held by the mount the other bit you have a hole for your hand...
Alex