Old 09-07-2020, 10:34 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Bob
Not the best start with trying out a new scope; a 4" F11. I saw Calistro in transit torwards the end, but missed the shadow.[/QUOTE]

That's a nice looking gear, quick an easy to set up by the looks of it, pity about the raindrops spoiling the session though.
Did manage to get a long look at the transit with my 127mm F8 achro and alt /az mount when the cloud thinned out for a while. Could clearly see the Red Spot and the shadow of Callisto but not the disc of the moon itself at 125X. Seeing didn't warrant pushing the mag much higher, just got fuzzier.
Now the S.E. coast is set for a drenching next week so no more astro for a while it seems.
I have noted that there will be another chance to watch a Callisto and shadow transit, in August 28th / 29th. Ingress at 22:50 and egress at 03:07 EST.

Cheers
Old 10-07-2020, 08:52 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

We had a fabulously clear sky here last night and I was fortunate to be able to view the Callisto moon and shadow transit once Jupiter had reached a reasonable elevation.
Callisto was at about mid transit and presented as a tiny dark disc standing out against the bright Jupiter surface. The shadow was a sharp black spot preceding Callisto as they transited across the face of Jupiter. The background detail on Jupiter was stunning.
I spent time at the eyepiece watching the shadow approach Jupiter’s limb, touch the limb and then form a notch in the limb. This notch slowly reduced and then disappeared. I tried for the same with Callisto but it became very difficult to see as it got very close to the limb. I could clearly see Callisto emerge from the limb as a small bright bulge. Eventually there was separation and the event was over.
This event has been a missing piece in my Jupiter observations. I have now seen all four moon+shadow transit events at last!
Vixen NA140SS on TRex mount and LVW5 - 160X.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:35 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
We had a fabulously clear sky here last night and I was fortunate to be able to view the Callisto moon and shadow transit once Jupiter had reached a reasonable elevation.

This event has been a missing piece in my Jupiter observations. I have now seen all four moon+shadow transit events at last!
Vixen NA140SS on TRex mount and LVW5 - 160X.
Very nice report Steve, enjoyed reading that you had great views of the transit. Something that I can say as well is that I've now seen all 4 Galilean moon transits and imaged, though not good quality.
Am looking forward to the late August transit, from rough calcs. the planet should be about 50 deg altitude in the west at the start of the transit and getting lower to about 10/15 deg toward the end. Not ideal but they don't happen very often so gotta take what you get given, clear skies a must, of course.

Cheers
Old 10-07-2020, 12:31 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Nice work Steve.