Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 19-10-2019, 11:58 AM
casstony

Skywatcher AZ-EQ5 experiences?

This has come to my attention as a portable visual mount and backup/portable imaging mount, but I see mixed reviews online.

It seems best to get the regular tripod to avoid swaying and the worms need adjustment out of the box to stop the jiggles. Those are things I can manage but are there other issues aside from those?

Do the clutches hold well?

Thanks for any input.
Old 20-01-2020, 03:50 PM
casstony

I bought the AZ-EQ5 a while back and it went ok on the first imaging run but with a few jumps, so I adjusted the worm gears today according to this guide: http://www.astronomo.org/foro/index.php?topic=17215.120

The gear mesh was a little loose on both axes but the bigger issue was that the Dec axis worm end float needed adjusting too - the worm could be seen moving back and forth longitudinally.

Hopefully the next guided imaging run will be as good as my AZ-EQ6.
Old 23-10-2020, 03:35 PM
Baobab (Bohdan)

sorry to resurrect the old thread but how did you go with your AZ-EQ5?
I am thinking of getting one as even I know that heq5 or AZ-EQ6 would be better in the future once I succumb to an upgrade bug but for now I prefer not to kill myself houling it up and down stairs each time I want to do something - my observatory is my bedroom balcony and for some reason my better half might object to the permanent installation of my rig next to our bed.
There is a precious little about this mount on all forums and most of it old anyway. So how does it track and how do you see it now when you spent some time with it? Worth it - not...? Cheers
Old 23-10-2020, 04:11 PM
casstony

Hi Bohdan, the AZ-EQ5 is quite a nice mount once the worm gears are adjusted. If you're not mechanically minded ask the retailer to adjust the worms for you since most of the Skywatcher mounts require adjustment from new and it is a fiddly process.
My AZ-EQ6's (I've owned two) needed adjustment too, though the AZ-EQ6 is a little simpler to adjust.

My AZ-EQ5 and EQ6 mounts guide well and the 5 year warranty is handy to have (not that I've needed it so far).
Old 23-10-2020, 05:34 PM
Baobab (Bohdan)

Thanks Tony, appreciated. Now - I'll go and do dishes, vacuuming, dinners for a few day and then will try my luck with a wife approval process for this mount - will have to go for a full priced one as no-one seems to be willing to part with theirs in the classified section lately