Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 27-02-2014, 10:45 AM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilbabi View Post
Guys, I am a complete noob!
I have read it is best to grab a good pair of bino's before a telescope, I have no idea what any of the lingo I have just read means, can some one link me to a good starter page to read so I understand better what I should be looking for?
Links to good binos would be appreciated too!
Thanks, Amanda
Lots of guides out there. You could try: http://www.ozscopes.com.au/guides/binoculars-guide
- of course they link to binos they sell as "examples"- but they give you a fair bit of information too. They have a big variety of binos on their site, as do Procular: http://procular.com.au/

A good place to start is to look for "7x50" or "10x50" binos: ie 7 or 10 magnifications and the front lenses are 50mm in diameter. If your budget is limited, look for "porro prism" binos (these are the "normal" looking ones that you see everywhere). The other type, "roof prism" binos, require more manufacturing steps and are generally more expensive for comparable quality. This size is a good compromise in terms of power, weight and light-gathering ability, and are good for day-time or night-time use. It would be best to go to a specialty shop and check out what they offer so you find something that you can hold easily and feel comfortable with.

There are big mobs of brands out there too, but if you look around the $150-200 mark you should find something nice. Pentax PCF, Olympus DPS I, Nikon Aculon are all good starter binos that you can't really go wrong with. You can also go for good quality "generic" ones that are re-branded by lots of people, like the "HG" series that Andrews sell (see their site: http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-11.htm )

Have fun!

- Dean
Old 27-02-2014, 12:15 PM
ManUtdFans (Alan)

I just got a 20x50 binocular, able to focus on each eye.
BUT the problem is I cannot get both eye piece overlap. No matter how I adjust the distance of both eye piece still no luck, is it because the distance between my pupils does not match the binocular?

And also it is very easy to get myself to look through the binocular by one eye only with a tiny move.
Old 27-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

The interpupillary distance should be adjustable for all eyes. Try getting it right during the daytime, on a distant object.

If you can't ever get a single image, then it suggests your binoculars are out of collimation (they may have been dropped/jarred). Most units can be recollimated, if you remove the cover and turn the collimation screws:
http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=416
Old 27-02-2014, 01:48 PM
ManUtdFans (Alan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
The interpupillary distance should be adjustable for all eyes. Try getting it right during the daytime, on a distant object.

If you can't ever get a single image, then it suggests your binoculars are out of collimation (they may have been dropped/jarred). Most units can be recollimated, if you remove the cover and turn the collimation screws:
http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=416
I can "see" both images are moving towards each other when I manipulate the individual ones (fold and unfold) but both images hard to merge.

So far I could only get one time to merge them successfully.
Old 27-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

Then I suspect the prisms are miscollimated.
Old 27-02-2014, 02:01 PM
ManUtdFans (Alan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
Then I suspect the prisms are miscollimated.
Oh...
I don't know how to do the collimation. How about I just use one eye?
Old 27-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

See the link I posted above for advice on how to collimate. It is not always possible, however. I had to 'retire' my trusty Jason Empire 7x50 pair after they got knocked out of collimation. Even manipulating the prism screws couldn't fix the issue.

So it will depend how badly yours are out. I tried using the one eye approach with my Jason pair for a while, but quickly got tired of it and bought a new pair, which I'm very happy with (but they really need to be tripod mounted).
Old 26-01-2016, 09:04 AM
dredove

Really nice job helped answer a lot of questions
Old 16-09-2016, 04:10 PM
haroon132 (Haroon)

Thanks for the great advice I will go binocular hunting on Sunday.
Old 31-12-2016, 04:44 PM
JackieP (Jackie)

Hi, I know this is an old conversation, but I have similar problem with binoculars. They are just fine during the day, looking at general scenery, which is crystal clear, and I think I have properly culminated them. But when looking at the heavens at night, I see 2 of each thing I look at! I don't know if maybe it is just my eyes/brain not processing those little pinpoints of light very well.
Old 31-12-2016, 10:39 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Hi Jackie,
I have the same problem. Day time terrestrial viewing is fine but trying to view a point source of light, such as a star or planet, produces two images. The gap between the two bright objects is relatively small for me in low power binoculars and with a little concentration I can merge the two images. However, the gap is significant and a real problem using binoviewers on a telescope. No matter how hard I try I am unable to successfully merge the two images. At medium power, I have found that I can merge the two images of the moon but my eyes soon tire. If I then concentrate on an individual crater, the two images quickly diverge again.
I mentioned this to my optometrist. After a few measurements and tests, he confirmed that I have a slight muscular misalignment of my eyes which is sufficient to prevent my brain merging the two images. There is nothing that I can do about it.
So, I have reluctantly sold my binoviewer and matching eyepieces and have resigned myself to mono observing.

Cheers

Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieP View Post
Hi, I know this is an old conversation, but I have similar problem with binoculars. They are just fine during the day, looking at general scenery, which is crystal clear, and I think I have properly culminated them. But when looking at the heavens at night, I see 2 of each thing I look at! I don't know if maybe it is just my eyes/brain not processing those little pinpoints of light very well.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:01 PM
JackieP (Jackie)

Hi Steve, yes that does sound like me - I can concentrate and merge them up, too. I wear contact lenses for short sightedness so that might also be a contributing factor. Like you I might be stuck with it . Or I might try with my glasses, rather than my contacts. I am using binoculars to get to know the night sky a bit in preparation for using a new telescope my husband bought me for Xmas, luckily it has only a single eyepiece.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:32 PM
AEAJR (Ed)

An excellent article on binoculars. I will add a link to this article when trying to help newbies interested in binoculars.
Old 25-03-2018, 05:25 PM
N5SE (Sal)
33.8 S, 151.1 E