Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-07-2017, 10:21 PM
blinky (Leigh)

jupiter 24-7-2017

Hello folks,
this is my first contribution image to PVOL. Feels good to be able to to try and give something back to the science community in this small way.
Seeing was around 5-6/10. Still not sure on how to judge transparency.
There was a nice close grouping of the Galilean moons so posted a pic of them too.

PVOL Link: http://pvol2.ehu.eus/pvolimages/jupi...westerland.png

Thanks for looking
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2017-07-24-0805_6-leigh ps3.jpg)
20.2 KB110 views
Click for full-size image (2017-07-24-0756_0-leigh-RGB crop.jpg)
10.6 KB61 views
Old 26-07-2017, 03:44 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Very good Leigh, Id be stoked with something like that
What aperture scope you use mate ?
Thats very decent in any terms, grouse work
Old 26-07-2017, 08:23 PM
Quark (Trevor)

A nice result Leigh and good to see you have uploaded your data to PVOL.

Cheers
Trevor
Old 27-07-2017, 08:30 PM
blinky (Leigh)

Thanks Trev and Bob. I used a c11 with 2xbarlow
Old 02-08-2017, 03:41 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Keool Leigh, Im envious,
Been trying every clear night here, but the seeing is total rubbish lately, for months, must be a seasonal thing ??
Had three scopes out last night, 12"meade, 10"Newt and the C8" swung the camera between each of them and all the same view, fuzzy & dull, ?
Tho glad in a way, thinking something went wrong with optic's somewhere, but now confirmed, just shocking conditions, Grrrrr
Old 02-08-2017, 06:00 PM
blinky (Leigh)

Yeah Bob, I've been struggling with the same thing. Not knowing when its seeing or somthing I've not done right. I think im getting better at judging it slowly. You can't beat the value of experience. I keep trying to get better at the things you can control which is cooling, collimation, and focus. Focus is particularly harder in poor seeing. I've notice lately my c11 takes quite a while to cool down(2hrs+). Ive been putting my c11 upside down to let warm air out the focus tube. I'm sure you'll crack it if you keep at it Bob
Old 02-08-2017, 08:56 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Nice catch Leigh

I always look at a star first...you can get a good idea of the seeing by watching one, apply a little defocus so you can see the rings, then watch how much fire there is...if it's a little too fiery, I don't bother, although you can sometimes still get some interesting data at f/10.

FWIW in my limited experience, I've found the nights of better seeing in Brisbane to be hot summer nights. Sounds counterintuitive, but that's just what I've noticed.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:48 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
Yeah Bob, I've been struggling with the same thing. Not knowing when its seeing or somthing I've not done right. I think im getting better at judging it slowly. You can't beat the value of experience. I keep trying to get better at the things you can control which is cooling, collimation, and focus. Focus is particularly harder in poor seeing. I've notice lately my c11 takes quite a while to cool down(2hrs+). Ive been putting my c11 upside down to let warm air out the focus tube. I'm sure you'll crack it if you keep at it Bob
Thx for vote Leigh, ,
The seeing and weather, jet stream etc on charts are just Not Right these days, what I reckon anyway Been watching & monitoring and what happens at the scope is almost opposite to what the charts say
I do roll-away, my Cosmo-Caboose, just as the sun goes down, so scope is in open for a few hours cooling, I may need look at collimation more, but it is rather close, Tho, with your practices on what can be controlled, I could try collimating with scope whilst pointing high at Saturn, incase of mirror flop, but then there is focus movement, I need to get the motorised Moonlight working so can Lock the Mirror, maybe. Hmmm, sorry mate, jacking your thread
I just go out there every clear night, & when I get a half decent Juup on screen, the charts say it completely rubbish, 150+k jet, loads of moisture & wind directions all over the place ?? Go Figure

I could go on, but - Any-the-who, keep at it they say

By The Way Leigh, what camera are you using - a Zwo Asi if my memory serves ?
Looking forward to more images from you
Rgrds