Old 10-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Moon (James)
This sentence is false

I have the same problem with a QHY9 / Maxim DL / ASCOM 64 bit drivers.
The only thing that sort of worked for me was to disable clamping.
James (biting my tongue)
Old 10-11-2011, 10:14 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Yes you do not need clamping with the 64 bit drivers. I have only had one problem with banding using a QHY9 but that was user error. I had the Svideo cable plugged in the wrong way. The emc ring needs to be on the DC102 side not the camera side. Live and learn

Mark
Old 11-11-2011, 06:21 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Well I'm all ears Peter. What do you have in mind? Using Nebulosity or EZcap? MAXIM DL will use ASCOM. I am not aware of any native drivers for the QHY8.
Try ezcap or Nebulosity with the native win drivers and see if the banding goes away. This would then point to a problem with the driver (or Maxim).

http://qhyccd.com/download.html
Old 11-11-2011, 08:45 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
Try ezcap or Nebulosity with the native win drivers and see if the banding goes away. This would then point to a problem with the driver (or Maxim).

http://qhyccd.com/download.html
Well it works with the native driver in EZCAP 64bit. Driver is QHY8 64/32bit winUSB Driver. So this rules out any cabling issues and points towards a driver issue. Still to try with Nebulosity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (EZCAP_bias_g1O120.jpg)
195.2 KB18 views
Old 11-11-2011, 09:03 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

No issue either with the native drivers in the latest Nebulosity 2. So far this tend to point to a driver issue (i.e QHY8 ASCOM StarSense Sci).
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NEB2_bias_g1o120.jpg)
110.4 KB12 views
Old 11-11-2011, 05:33 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

You could also try ascom driver in Nebulosity - if you get banding it is the driver. If you don't it is a Maxim issue.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:10 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
You could also try ascom driver in Nebulosity - if you get banding it is the driver. If you don't it is a Maxim issue.
Hi Peter, did that already. That's why I said it's probably the QHY8 ASCOM StarSense Sci drivers. MAXIM DL is fine and can be ruled out because the banding will also occur using Nebulosity 2 and the QHY8 as an ASCOM camera but not with the native drivers.

(See attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NEB2_ASCOM_QHY8.jpg)
79.7 KB14 views
Old 11-11-2011, 11:06 PM
midnight (Darrin)
Always on the road

This is indeed a very interesting thread Marc.

Looks as if you've narrowed it to the driver. I would not have thought of the driver being a potential source of problems so well done on finding this potential source of the problem.

I would never suspect the USB nor cable as there is error correction on the communication protocol. It's not like superimposing noise on an analogue line or whatever as it is entirely digital. Only speed would suffer due to interference I would think.

Darrin...
Old 15-11-2011, 10:43 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight View Post
I would never suspect the USB nor cable as there is error correction on the communication protocol. It's not like superimposing noise on an analogue line or whatever as it is entirely digital. Only speed would suffer due to interference I would think.
That's what I've figured too. I've started a thread here on QHYCCD so hopefully some others will chime in and we can move toward a solution. The rig is kept to a minimum so we don't confuse the issue: QHY8 -> USB 2.0-> Laptop running Win7 64bit 8GB RAM. Network disabled. No other cameras plugged in or any other USB device plugged in. Camera capture software is the only thing running - all background processes are killed.