Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-11-2014, 06:46 PM
orestis

Nostalgia

Hi Everyone,

Some of you might remember me. Its been over a year since I have done any "serious" observing and now that I am on break from uni. I decided to get back into this great hobby of ours. Being back under the stars particularly at a dark sky location is the best feeling.

It's good to know I haven't lost much of my knowledge of the stars, still being able to identify major constellations.

I forgot it was season for the Andromeda galaxy. So I decided to pin it down, still visible to the naked eye and a noticeable streak in the binoculars. Got me thinking what is the faintest object you have observed with the naked eye at a dark sky location ?, some say M83 should be visible. Also Managed to see some sporadic meteors which were nice, not knowing that the Leonids are on about this time.

Anyways its good to be back under the stars, and hopefully I will be getting a small more manageable dobsonian soon.

Hope all is well.

Clear skies
Orestis
Old 17-11-2014, 07:15 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Hi Orestis, it's ok, we knew you'd be back sooner or later. Noone escapes the event horizon on this 'black hole' ..
Old 17-11-2014, 09:18 PM
orestis

Indeed, its great to be back. Once an amateur astronomer always an amateur astronomer. Its just that life unfortunately gets in the way.
Old 17-11-2014, 10:47 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Good to see you back! Hope you can get a scope out again soon. Regards the faintest naked eye object, I believe I managed a glimpse of NGC 5128 one very good night up at Snake Valley a couple of years back. I know I was looking at the right spot and when I looked away there was something there.

Anyway, nice to hear from you again!

Malcolm
Old 18-11-2014, 07:17 AM
orestis

Yeah, definitely. Got to get back into those obs reports.

NGC 5128, that's interesting I shall try, I was thinking maybe NGC 253 may be visible as it easily seen in 10x50 binos as I remember it anyways.

All this talk is making me want to go and buy a telescope right now. Got the astro bug again.

Nice to hear from you also Malcolm.
Cheers
Orestis
Old 18-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Hi Orestis,

Good to see you back again. I've sometimes wondered about M83 and NGC 253, but I've not been convinced that I'm not seeing nearby asterisms.
Old 18-11-2014, 07:24 PM
orestis

Hi Patrick, good to hear from you again.

I guess it also depends on the seeing conditions also.
Old 19-11-2014, 07:49 AM
astronut (John)
2'sCompany3's a StarParty

Welcome back.

My society observes from The Belanglo state forest, not far from you.

A few years back with a particularly good night, we observed easily naked eye, The Helix Nebula.

It's rated at Mag 7.5, with a low surface brightness.
Old 19-11-2014, 08:49 AM
orestis

Yes, I've heard that Belanglo's skies are very dark indeed. Magnitude 7.5 is crazy, unfortunately I get some light from the nearby towns.

I would like to attend one evening, but do you have to be a member to come along ?
Old 19-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Rob_K

Knew it wasn't just a boyhood crush, great to have you back Orestis! Ignore the galaxies and nebulae, get into some comets!

Cheers -
Old 19-11-2014, 10:55 PM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronut View Post
Welcome back.

My society observes from The Belanglo state forest, not far from you.

A few years back with a particularly good night, we observed easily naked eye, The Helix Nebula.

It's rated at Mag 7.5, with a low surface brightness.
Belangolo. Been there to visit the memorial many times. And to do some 4 wheel driving. Always a dread and eerie place, made more so by the known macabre history and the silence broken by the cries of black cockatoos. Girlfriend and I will one day camp there overnight...when we're brave enough. Funny what your perceptions add to the feel of a place. Hard not to think of the horror experiences of the people of the past...known and yet to be known.
Old 23-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Orestis, I'm so glad to hear from you after all this time. I knew you hadn't left us though, I knew you'd be back soon enough after a break from Uni . Oh it's always such a pleasure to see you around buddy.

As to what Rob's said, get into those comets! There's a couple of southern sky comets now worth having a look at- one them is our Terry's! Yes, Terry Lovejoy got us another one . But comet C/2012 K1 is the brightest one at the moment around the mag. 7-8 mark.

If you're on facebook, come join Rob & I and many others from here in an excellent comet group that I co-admin. Message me if you're interested, I would love to have you on board and if you're into comets, there's a heck of a lot to be learned in that group, has many comet discoverers on it and also has a great bunch of guys there. Okay?!
Old 23-11-2014, 07:49 PM
orestis

Hi Suzy, I was actually thinking of you other day. I am always interested, however as of now, I don't have a scope. I am looking at getting an 8'' dob. Which wont break the bank and allow me to see most stuff. The 12'' I had needed a personal observatory.

Yeah some of these comets are amazing. What a history making moment that Philae lander was, awesome what humans can achieve if we put our minds to it.

Nice hearing from you again.
Added you on facebook, so you can direct me to the group. Thanks.