Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-07-2017, 04:17 PM
SimonA
Arnie017

Vintage POLAREX / UNITRON 4inch Refractor

I acquired the telescope, equatorial mount and pier around 20 years ago from the original owner, who purchased it new from an optical store in Hobart, Tasmania, I believe in the mid-1970s.

The telescope has had very little use over the past twenty years, partly because I purchased another more portable telescope at around the same time, but also because of other interests and commitments since then - starting a family for example!
OTA: 102mm objective, 1500mm FL

The optics (to my eye) are in very good condition with the objective lens free of any marks. Whilst the paintwork on the tube has some minor blemishes, these are mostly superficial, with no dents or serious scratches.
The original oak cabinet has some markings on the timber, but is in good condition for its age and is very solidly constructed.
Accessories:
Original Polarex Eyepieces: Ortho 4mm, Ortho 6mm, K 7mm, SYMACH 9mm, K 12.5mm, K 18mm, R 25mm
Polarex Star Diagonal, Polarex “Unihex” eyepiece turret
Original oak cases for the eyepieces, star diagonal and eyepiece turret

All in good condition for their age

Mount:

The custom-made mount has a 240V motor drive for the declination and R.A. axis, manual slow-motion controls and illuminated setting circles.
The mount comprises a clamp style cradle for the OTA which enables the telescope to be easily set-up but is also very secure. It has a threaded counterweight mounting bar onto which the counterweight is attached (see photos). This allows the counterweight and OTA to be easily balanced.
Please note that the telescope is currently mounted on a custom-made steel pier with small castors at the base of the three supporting legs. The pier is available at no cost, however it is likely to be prohibitively expensive to ship due to its weight. If a permanent pier set-up is required then I’d recommend having something similar manufactured to suit.
The asking price is as follows:

OTA and Accessories $3,250
Mount $ 750

Total (if sold together) $3,500

I can obtain quotes for freight and insurance as required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4624a.jpg)
68.1 KB232 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4626a.jpg)
65.0 KB252 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4661a.jpg)
59.8 KB203 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4620a.jpg)
69.3 KB249 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4634a.jpg)
74.1 KB195 views