Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-06-2011, 09:22 PM
kitsuna (Adam)

advice on global rent-a-scope

Hi yall.

I've recently been looking at the global rent-a-scope website as a possible stop gap solution to astrophotography. It caught my curiosity.

Fact is, right now I can't afford to spend the money required to get involved in astrophotography, and frankly, even if I did, the idea of going through all that hassle to collect data makes me tired just thinking about it.

The idea of sitting in my nice comfortable room and imaging during the day because the scope in question happens to be on the other side of the world, where it is dark, prepped and ready for my use has a certain appeal.

I fully realise that renting a scope in this way will not allow me to tweak and fiddle with the hardware component of astrophotography the way those in the IIS community can and do to produce some of the fantasic images seen here, but it might at least be enough for me to dip my toe in and whet my appetite somewhat.

I guess I'm really asking if anyone has used this service, and if so, was it good, bad, indifferent? What sort of results did you get from it? Any hassles that I should be aware of?

Much obliged.
Old 19-06-2011, 09:29 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Then this will be no different than an image processing exercise. To get started you could download already made FITS files and brush up on processing techniques, calibration, stacking, etc... Then spend some money on a rental scope to acquire data on your choise of DSO.
Old 19-06-2011, 09:34 PM
kitsuna (Adam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Then this will be no different than an image processing exercise. To get started you could download already made FITS files and brush up on processing techniques, calibration, stacking, etc... Then spend some money on a rental scope to acquire data on your choise of DSO.
That's some sage Yoda-like advice there. Worth pondering.

That said, I'm also curious about the service provided by the site itself. Anyone got first hand experience with it?
Old 19-06-2011, 11:08 PM
bartman (Bart)
1 of 7 of 9

I had some fun with it on the free side of things.
However......cause I wasn't using my scope, it didnt feel right.....
Sure, I asked it to center on a dso, chose it and told it to take X pictures..... It just didn't feel the same as doing it myself ( on my own mount and scope).
Its not the fact that I am remote controlling a scope that is the problem ( cause I could do that at home) but the fact is....... " it's not my scope"!
I realise that a lot of professional astronomers use scopes around the world to do their research via the net on scopes that are not theirs but.....it just feels wrong for me as an amateur. Especially when I have a scope at home.
Just my thoughts.....
Cheers
Bartman
However I think it is a great back up if you have a long spell of cloudzzzz
Old 19-06-2011, 11:28 PM
kitsuna (Adam)

I can see your point there bartman, but that isn't really an issue for me. if I had the equipment to do astrophotography and wasn't using it because I was using a GRAS system, then yeah, I'd probably be in the same boat as you. fact is, I don't have astrophotography gear (or at least, not completely) so that wouldn't be a problem.

When you did use it though, aside from the sensation of unease due to not using your own equipment, how was it? Good/bad? easy to use/hard to use? etc.
Old 20-06-2011, 12:32 AM
bartman (Bart)
1 of 7 of 9

Very easy Adam! I'm sure they still do a 'free trial'.
The pics I got back were not that great due to the fact that I was using the free version. I did however try and use my time to gather data on the same object ( with the limited resolution) and try and stack them.
Not the best results....but that is from my end ....not theirs....
I'm still at the beginners stage of processing the pics.
I am 100% sure that GRAS can deliver some amazing pics from the comfort of your desk/lap top. Please do a search on this forum for GRAS pics.( I cant remember who has recently posted pics from GRAS but I'm sure they will chirp in soon!!!!
Bartman
Old 20-06-2011, 12:49 AM
kitsuna (Adam)

much obliged Bart.

I had a quick forum search for GRAS shots. Not too shabby given what options are available (i.e. not much with the free trial).

I'll see if I can take some shots during the day from work. That should be an odd conversation with my co workers;

Them; "Hey Adam what are you doing?"

Me; "Taking some photos of DSOs"

Them: ".... How? It's midday, and you're inside an office block..."

Me; "I'm just that awesome..."

Them; "... ooookay" *backs away slowly*

Old 20-06-2011, 01:05 AM
bartman (Bart)
1 of 7 of 9

HEHEHE,
I have the same reaction when I tell my fellow staff what I do with my 10" mounted on a moterised GOTO!!!!!!
Bartman
Old 20-06-2011, 01:08 AM
bartman (Bart)
1 of 7 of 9

It's actually quite interesting watching the GRAS computer/scope do its stuff....
Love to have that setup my self!
Bartman
Old 20-06-2011, 09:25 AM
higginsdj
A Lazy Astronomer

These rent a scopes wouldn't exist if they didn't pay for themselves. This sort of implies that they do what they advertise! Most will have introductory packages (lower rates). Try it out and see.

Frankly, for the pretty picture taker who only goes out now and then, the Rent-A-Scope option is, in my opinion, your best option (unless you like fiddling with hardware). For most of these people, a Rent-A-Scope is going to produce better and more reliable results far quicker and with less hassle than you will be able to achieve with your own gear.

If you are taking a lot of images over a great many hours then in the long run, it will be far cheaper to set up your own observatory.

Cheers
Old 20-06-2011, 09:55 AM
kitsuna (Adam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by higginsdj View Post
These rent a scopes wouldn't exist if they didn't pay for themselves. This sort of implies that they do what they advertise! Most will have introductory packages (lower rates). Try it out and see.

Frankly, for the pretty picture taker who only goes out now and then, the Rent-A-Scope option is, in my opinion, your best option (unless you like fiddling with hardware). For most of these people, a Rent-A-Scope is going to produce better and more reliable results far quicker and with less hassle than you will be able to achieve with your own gear.

If you are taking a lot of images over a great many hours then in the long run, it will be far cheaper to set up your own observatory.

Cheers
I see you title yourself "the lazy astronomer." A man after my own heart.

let me just say that fiddling with hardware in the dark, damp and cold is certainly not my cup of tea.

To give you an idea of just how lazy I am, let me tell you this:

I admire the crocodile, not for its killing efficiency, but for the fact that it spends most of it's time lying around doing nothing, at a resting heartrate as low as 6 bpm.

I eat soup (when I bother to eat at all) so I don't have to waste time and energy chewing.

If they ever held a competition for laziness, I'd win, if not for the fact that I wouldn't bother to turn up.

But you've basically captured what I was trying to find out. For basic images on the (relatively) cheap, I was thinking GRAS might be an ok idea.

I'm not looking for astronomy publication quality (yet), but I figured that instead of spending thousands on a setup I'd hardly use (read: lazy), I could take some reasonable quality snaps for not much cash.

That said, maybe one day in a fit of madness I might have the time, energy and money to get into astrophotography and do it properly with my own gear.... but I doubt it.
Old 20-06-2011, 11:16 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

I've used GRAS before and it's a good service. Join up and have a go at it. They do have a free, introductory trial run using the GRAS03 scope and what you get out of it is a number of piccies consisting of 10 minute exposures. After that, you can pay (via paypal) for various terms of access. You only have to pay monthly, but you can subscribe with a yearly payment.
Old 20-06-2011, 07:45 PM
DaveO (David)
In Search of Photons

Thumbs up

Adam

I have been using the GRAS service for several years now, and generally speaking it is very good. They have had the odd equipment failure which can be frustrating, but I suspect that was due more to the very remote location than other factors. They are about to relocate to Siding Springs, which will only be a good thing.

Their service is absolutely top notch, the equipment is easy to use, and the pricing (while not cheap) is realistic and achievable. And you can try it for free and then only commit to what you want.

I personally use the equipment for scientific purposes - astrometry and photometry. So my images are pretty boring - no Malin awards for me I'm afraid!

However I've seen lots of blokes doing brilliant images using the equipment. You can also use the network to image stuff you'll never see from this country.

I do agree with Marc's comments - GRAS only replaces the equipment, not the image processing factors, so it might be good to start with some skills development first, before investing in imaging. I had a go as some image processing when I was bored one day, and was so disheartened, I haven't tried since! No patience I'm afraid!!

As to the issue of "owning" the equipment, I have no qualms. I could never afford the equipment or have the dark sky location to make use of it that is available through these rental networks. I know the purists might disagree (sorry Bartman ), but I wouldn't waste a moment on the issue!

If you want any more information, PM me directly and we can talk more.
Old 20-06-2011, 08:49 PM
kitsuna (Adam)

Much obliged David, that pretty much answered my question and resonates with my opinion on the matter.

I'll keep that offer of more information in mind.
Old 20-06-2011, 10:17 PM
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

Adam, I seem to recall that there was an article on rent-a-scopes in AS&T last year. Might be worth tracking down.

Chris
Old 20-06-2011, 11:02 PM
alistairsam

Hi,

i'd been contemplating this for a while, but finally tried out the demo today. I imaged m51. i'll be signing up for a plan for sure.

The equipment they use and the dark skies are out of reach for a lot of amateurs so it is a great option for when you can't take your scope out or if you dont have an AP setup but are keen to get started.
I think it can complement your setup if you do have one.

One thing that'd be great is if they had webcams pointing at the scope you're controlling so that way when you slew or its adjusting, you can watch the scope slewing and that'd enhance the experience.
without it, just watching the script sort of leaves the experience incomplete, atleast for me.

I know what the others mean by the experience or feel of using your own setup.
just my 2c.