Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 2.22 average.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Just interested to know if some people are having issues with BOINC running on their systems? There appears to be a whole pile of us who have suddenly dropped to 0.0 credit average...

Can I ask if you fellas that have stopped running predominantly Win/PC or Mac/Unix/'nix environments?

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by Omaroo; 11-09-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:03 PM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Chris, I've been running it on Win/PC XP since Feb 05 a nd never hand any issues with it. I know h0ughy found it was conflicting with some S/ware he was using so he deleted it.
I think you'll find with most it's probably more a power issue than a s/ware one, or they've tired of running it.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:34 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstream
Chris, I've been running it on Win/PC XP since Feb 05 a nd never hand any issues with it. I know h0ughy found it was conflicting with some S/ware he was using so he deleted it.
I think you'll find with most it's probably more a power issue than a s/ware one, or they've tired of running it.
still a software issue for me John. System locks after 4 hours running
Old 01-02-2007, 11:15 AM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
still a software issue for me John. System locks after 4 hours running
G'day everyone, just wanted to let you know I signed up for the IIS team and am crunching my first lot now. It's sad to think I am two years behind some of you
Old 01-02-2007, 12:06 PM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailwag View Post
G'day everyone, just wanted to let you know I signed up for the IIS team and am crunching my first lot now. It's sad to think I am two years behind some of you
Every little bit counts.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:40 PM
vindictive666 (John)
KeyboardNotFndPressAnyKey

nah no worries here crunching 24/7
Old 02-02-2007, 10:44 AM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

How savage is it on HDD space?

Does it chew up your HDD space or does that takes ages? I don't mind the CPU speed, but don't have a huge amount of disk space left on this laptop.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:07 AM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Hi tailwag, you allocate how much disk space it will use under your preferences.
From memory without going to check, I think I allocated about a 100MB and it seems to use about 65MB on my HD on average.

The WU you d/load are only held till you have processed them then they are sent back.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:10 PM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstream View Post
Hi tailwag, you allocate how much disk space it will use under your preferences.
From memory without going to check, I think I allocated about a 100MB and it seems to use about 65MB on my HD on average.

The WU you d/load are only held till you have processed them then they are sent back.
Cool, just checked all the options, it's a pretty neat software program, aside from the actual science I mean. Now I have to wait to see if I get a credit, I have a unit pending: http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/results.php?userid=243454

Once I get the hang of this and know exactly how it all works, i'll turn it loose on my half a dozen other computers, in an effort to catch you guys
Old 02-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Tailwag - G'Day

It may take a day or two for your first credits to appear. When you do units of work for the project, they are waiting for a result of another machine that they have sent the same unit to - for comparison. If the results of the other system match your own, then the result is considered reliable and you are then credited.

Good to see another contributor!

Cheers
Chris
Old 02-02-2007, 02:03 PM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

Thanks Chris

When you are in Sydney, what part are you in?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Hey Tailwag

We actually live in Sydney (down past Campbelltown on the way to Appin) and only have a property in Cooma that we use on weekends and holidays.

Any you? I take it you're near Paramatatta somewhere...

Cheers
Chris
Old 02-02-2007, 03:04 PM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
Hey Tailwag

We actually live in Sydney (down past Campbelltown on the way to Appin) and only have a property in Cooma that we use on weekends and holidays.

Any you? I take it you're near Paramatatta somewhere...

Cheers
Chris
Yep, not far from Parramatta, but closer to Blacktown. I am on a bit of a hill and believe it or not, the nights (when the moon permits) is quite dark, and I have been able to do a bit of binocular observing from my backyard with what I consider amazing results. I can't wait to get to a truly dark site.

Out where you are would be perfect I suspect.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

It's not too bad at home, no. It's much better out at The Oaks or Belanglo Forest where our astronomy club (Macarthur Astro Society) goes though. You should come along one night and have a peek!

Cheers
Chris
Old 02-02-2007, 06:18 PM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

Quote:
It's not too bad at home, no. It's much better out at The Oaks or Belanglo Forest where our astronomy club (Macarthur Astro Society) goes though. You should come along one night and have a peek!

Cheers
Chris
That is not as easy as it sounds, I have every Sunday night off and then if I know something special is happening, I can reorganize my roster to have either a Wednesday or Thursday night off, but never a Friday or Saturday night.

I have been scouring the astronomy clubs looking for one of them that has dark site observing night on either Wednesday/Thursday nights but there are few that are close. I noticed that North Sydney follows the lunar calendar in having dark nights on days when the moon is at its smallest, however their site does not really spell out the exact days i.e. a mid-week as opposed to a weekend after the best lunar conditions.

Most of the clubs have their non-observing meetings at times that I might be able to get to, but observing, field work is what it's all about for me. I need to use a range of telescopes to make a firm judgement on what I like before spending lots of money on my telescope. No point in purchasing something that is not matched to my interests and observing style.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

We observe at a moments' notice - any night of the week. An email amongst a few MAS friends and away we go!
Old 02-02-2007, 08:50 PM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

Quote:
We observe at a moments' notice - any night of the week. An email amongst a few MAS friends and away we go!
Thanks for the info, I also just went through the MAS website, didn't see any images by you, could it be that you are not into astrophotography but rather just visual astronomy?
Old 02-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailwag View Post
Thanks for the info, I also just went through the MAS website, didn't see any images by you, could it be that you are not into astrophotography but rather just visual astronomy?
At this stage - yes.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:21 PM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

Hmnnnn astrophotography sounds both contagious and expensive, I better take things one step at a time: eyes -> binoculars -> 1st telescope -> 2nd telescope -> CCD camera
Old 15-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Karls48 (Karl)

I just noticed this tread and I joined for IIS team. I leave my computer running and idle sometimes. This way it can do something useful.