Old 07-07-2013, 06:18 PM
stanlite (Grady)

Issue with QHY8L TEC cooler

Hello all was wondering if anyone here has had a similar issue or might know a solution.

My QHY8L CCD has stoped cooling. The TEC turns on and the fan in the device starts spining but one of two things happens. Either the temp control program states the the temp is 100 degrees and doesn't show the current draw. OR the temp shows as ambient but the current draw doesn't increase to increase the cooling (stays at 1%)

I have been using Sequence Generator Pro although the results are replicated in Ezycap.

I am always careful when unpluging the camera, always warm it up to avoid thermal shock and always cut power to the TEC before disconnecting from the laptop. Any clues as to what it could be, i have a sinking feeling that this meant the peltiar or TEC is fried.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Visionoz (Bill)

Probably best to contact Theo - from Gama Electronics - the Ozzie local distributor

HTH
Cheers
Bill
Old 09-07-2013, 08:53 AM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

qHY 8

Theo is very helpful. On the other hand if the TEC is gone (like mine did) he would sent it to QHY for a repair anyway ( I think)- so you could just contact them directly.They have a ticket repair system on the website and it worked well for my repair.
Hopefully it's not a grave issue!
Graham
Old 09-07-2013, 11:15 AM
nate_b (Nate)

I had the same thing happen with my original QHY8; failed TEC. I put in a help ticket with QHY and had a prompt response. I could send it back to China for repair or they would send me a new heat sink / TEC assembly and I could install it myself. I did the install without a problem and the cost was fairly reasonable.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:58 AM
cybereye (Mario)
Mozzies love me!

I'd contact Theo first - as an owner of a QHY8L I'll be watching this thread with interest...

Cheers and good luck,
Mario