Old 22-12-2007, 11:59 PM
NQLD_Newby
Clear Skys and Open Road

Olympus E410 DSLR

Ok newbie camera question. Is the above camera a good starting SLR? Not for astro photo's or anything like that, but a good starting camera to learn how to use an slr camera, and about the different settings etc?
Old 23-12-2007, 05:19 AM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQLD_Newby View Post
Ok newbie camera question. Is the above camera a good starting SLR? Not for astro photo's or anything like that, but a good starting camera to learn how to use an slr camera, and about the different settings etc?
G'Day Rex,

I am an Olympus fan (have been since the OM-1) so my opinion could be considered biased... Olympus makes some very good / excellent SLR and DSLR cameras. Of recent times I have been disappointed with some of their compact cameras, but I think they still have control of their DSLRs.

My short answer would be "yes", but have a look at some reviews on the web. www.dpreview.com should have one on the E-410.

I have an E-510 which I am very happy with, though for astro work it does suffer from noise compared to the Canons - at least that's my experience and opinion... I was a little confused when I read dPreview's review just recently which I think suggested the noise was equivalent to a Nikon or Canon (). I think if I had bought a Canon for it's low noise in long exposure High ISO astro work and it performed like my camera I'd be disappointed! I must read that review again more carefully one day. But that said, I'm very happy with the E-510 for everything else.

Al.
Old 23-12-2007, 12:51 PM
NQLD_Newby
Clear Skys and Open Road

thanks for your advise Al. I've been looking for a while now and value for money as a starting point they seemed very reasonable. My main concerns were in the quality, and from your info I can see that they are ok. I can get the E410 with a zuiko (i think thats how it was spelt), single lens kit for $699 from the local camera shop, so price wise its very cheap compared to any of the others I looked at. thanks again.