Old 13-08-2010, 10:39 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Question Digital photo storage while on the go

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations on devices/methods of storing large quantities of digital photo's while away from home computer for an extended period of time. My wife and I are expecting to take about 80-100GB of pics between us while in UK/Europe for 45 days. Being on the go all the time whatever option I buy it'll be in my backpack 100% the time so needs to be light.

Requirements:
- small as possible, light as possible.
- minimum 80GB, pref 160GB+ storage.
- have enough functionality for me to see what files are on the device.
- AU$500 or less.

For example, options I'm considering:
- My Cowon Q5W (pro: easily transfer from CF/SD to it, see the files are there. Cons: only 80GB, can't display newer format RAW files)
- Epson Multimedia Storage Viewers (pro: compact, works. cons: cost - too much)
- netbook: (pro: full functionality, ample storage. cons: size & weight)

I have wondered if there's any kind of USB device that can act as a bridge between camera and 500gb pocket HD - that would be nice.

I'm considering upgrading my Q5W by getting a new HD off eBay and swapping it over, apparently can be done and give me 120gb, but slight risk involved.

Any ideas???

Thanks,
Roger.
Old 13-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Tallstock (Peter)

I have decided on multiple SDHC cards. As an example, Harvey Norman had Verbatim Class 6, 4 GB cards for $17. For around $400-00 you could get 25 of these. Light weight and you don't have to worry about hard disk crashes. Evidently, experienced travellers resort to posting their full cards to their home address in case of theft.
Peter
Old 13-08-2010, 11:16 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallstock View Post
I have decided on multiple SDHC cards. As an example, Harvey Norman had Verbatim Class 6, 4 GB cards for $17. For around $400-00 you could get 25 of these. Light weight and you don't have to worry about hard disk crashes. Evidently, experienced travellers resort to posting their full cards to their home address in case of theft.
Peter
Thanks Peter,

I should have added information on my situation with cards..

We have 48GB of cards each (2 x 16GB + 2 x 8GB), and that's no problem. I'm lucky enough to get them cheap through work. What I'm after is a backup of that data. If I had a backup of the data I would probably post the cards back home as we fill them up, like you suggest.

Thanks,
Roger.
Old 13-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Roger,

Do either of you own iPod's?

When I went around Europe, I borrowed a mate's iPod (which had photo viewing capability). He also loaned me an Apple connector which plugs into the iPod, and the other end into your camera, and automatically downloads all the images on the card to the iPod.

It might be an option.

The last few trips to New Zealand, where I've shot quite a lot of data, I took a netbook with me and a USB CF card reader. At the end of the day, I transfer everything from my cards to the netbook.

I also use this technique at weddings, when I have a spare moment or two, I set up a netbook in a nice quiet corner somewhere, and purge the cards to the netbook's storage.

H
Old 13-08-2010, 03:06 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Do either of you own iPod's?
Not directly, but my Q5W is a competitor. It just happens to have a 80gb HD instead of larger. Upgrading that HD is looking more appealing, I can put a 250gb in it.

The ipod functionality sounds nice, apple things tend to "just work" rather than with the windows interface on the Q5W I plugin the card reader then open explorer and copy & paste files. View would be nice. Hmm.

Thanks for the heads up on that capability of the iPod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
The last few trips to New Zealand, where I've shot quite a lot of data, I took a netbook with me and a USB CF card reader. At the end of the day, I transfer everything from my cards to the netbook.
Certainly is an adaptable and good solution. Just need to carry it around. Probably work easier when you have a hire car like in NZ where as we're walking/trains/tours.

Thanks for your thoughts H.
Old 15-08-2010, 05:44 AM
gbeal

When we did Europe three years ago I simply filled the cards that I had up (quickly) then found a place where the info could be burnt to a DVD. We did this in Paris, and also in Rome. Made two copies, posted one back, travelled with the other.
Worked for me.
Gary
Old 15-08-2010, 10:47 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
When we did Europe three years ago I simply filled the cards that I had up (quickly) then found a place where the info could be burnt to a DVD. We did this in Paris, and also in Rome. Made two copies, posted one back, travelled with the other.
Worked for me.
Gary
Thanks Gary .. it is an easy option providing I'm happy to sit there copying 16gb of data on to DVD's while in the photo lab .. that seems the only catch.. was easy with my 350D where each file was 8mb but with our current cameras each file is 20-25mb.

After checking out netbooks on the weekend and thinking about how heavy and big they are (relatively) I think the DVD option is #2 on my list though, above netbooks. Hmm
Old 19-08-2010, 07:34 PM
ScopesNC (Jim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
Hi all,

Requirements:
- small as possible, light as possible.
- minimum 80GB, pref 160GB+ storage.
- have enough functionality for me to see what files are on the device.
- AU$500 or less.

Any ideas???

Thanks,
Roger.
Not sure if your taking a notebook or not , but you might try one of these
I have found it works with my heads up display and it may work with other USB devices like the camera.After all these type drives are really like large USB flash drives Not sure, but something to look at.
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/adet.to?poid=443329

Jim
ScopesNC
Old 19-08-2010, 08:12 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopesNC View Post
Not sure if your taking a notebook or not , but you might try one of these
I have found it works with my heads up display and it may work with other USB devices like the camera.After all these type drives are really like large USB flash drives Not sure, but something to look at.
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/adet.to?poid=443329

Jim
ScopesNC
We're hoping to not take a notebook/netbook, so this kind of thing doesn't work for us really I wish I could just plug my camera directly in to a HDD like this and use PictaBridge type technology to backup files.

Thanks,
Roger.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:16 PM
ScopesNC (Jim)

Quote:
We're hoping to not take a notebook/netbook, so this kind of thing doesn't work for us really I wish I could just plug my camera directly in to a HDD like this and use PictaBridge type technology to backup files.

Thanks,
Roger.
Rodger

I didn't think it would work with my heads up display either , but it did.
I will test it when I get home with one of my cameras and see. It's free to try right. I doubt it works at all, but you never know. I didn't expect it to work with the HUD either yet it did. I'll let you know if it does.
I did find this one though. Don't know if you have seen it.
http://www.digitalfoci.com/photo_safe.html

Jim
ScopesNC

Last edited by ScopesNC; 19-08-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:37 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Thanks Jim, I hadn't seen that digitalfoci device. It's quite affordable compared to ones I have seen.

These are very nice ones, just a bit expensive:
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-...-UDMA-s/64.htm

Roger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopesNC View Post
Rodger

I didn't think it would work with my heads up display either , but it did.
I will test it when I get home with one of my cameras and see. It's free to try right. I doubt it works at all, but you never know. I didn't expect it to work with the HUD either yet it did. I'll let you know if it does.
I did find this one though. Don't know if you have seen it.
http://www.digitalfoci.com/photo_safe.html

Jim
ScopesNC
Old 20-08-2010, 04:12 AM
ScopesNC (Jim)

Ouch!

Quote:
These are very nice ones, just a bit expensive:
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-...-UDMA-s/64.htm

Roger.
OUCH!! That would hurt the wallet for sure. Well I hope it works out which ever way you go.
Old 20-08-2010, 04:18 PM
rogerg (Roger)

I have hit on a whole bunch of similar products now. These are what I was after. It seems you just need to know where to look and what to search for.

Here's a reasonable wrap-up of what's available:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/St...9/N/4287966885

I'm unsure what I'll do at this stage. I am considering how worthwhile it is gettting either a 160GB "Hyperdrive COLORSPACE UDMA" or a "MermoryKick SI", both of which are available from some online Australian retailers also. Both are quite impressive, compact, useful devices for what I want. Both are reasonably expensive.

Roger.
Old 21-08-2010, 10:37 PM
ScopesNC (Jim)

Quote:
I have hit on a whole bunch of similar products now. These are what I was after. It seems you just need to know where to look and what to search for.

Here's a reasonable wrap-up of what's available:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/St...9/N/4287966885

Both are reasonably expensive.

Roger.
Rodger

B&H is a pretty good store. I have ordered from them a few time.
Always shipped fast and I had no problems.

Jim
ScopesNC