Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2006, 09:02 AM
middy

Observing Session 5/5/06

A big thanks to Andrew [astro_south] for inviting me over to his place on Friday night for a visual session. That was the first time I have looked through a scope bigger than a 40mm refractor. Going from a 40mm refractor to a 12.5" Dob has plenty of WOW factor.

I should have kept a log of what we looked at but I was too busy soaking it all in. We observed Jupiter although the seeing was variable with the details on Jupiter coming in and out. GRS was around the back but I just caught a shadow transit. I saw Omega Centauri in considerable detail for the first time, Eta Carina, lots of nebulae, doubles etc. Damn, should have kept a list!!

Now I can't wait to get my 8" Dob ..... I just hope the 12.5" hasn't ruined the 8" for me.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:02 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Good to see your report mate even though a little short on detail, that will come with practice, look forward to more when you get your 20cm(8")
I hope to see you at one of our get togethers at Cambroon in the future cheers Ron.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:04 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

you'll like the 8"
much bigger than your 40mm
Old 08-05-2006, 03:09 PM
astro_south (Andrew)
No GOTO..I enjoy the hunt

No worries Andrew - it was nice to meet you and I'm sure it will be a regular get together since your only a short drive away.

Some other things we saw:

M20, M8, M6, Southern Pelaides, Nu Carina, Eta Carina + Homonculus + dark Keyhole area, Little Gem OC, Blue Planetary, Spiral planetary, GC near M Centaurus, Centaurus A galaxy, M104, M10, M12, M9 and a nearby NGC glob, Beta Crux and nearby Carbon star, Jewl Box, Alpha Crux, and probably a few I have forgot
Old 08-05-2006, 03:28 PM
middy

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_south
Some other things we saw:

M20, M8, M6, Southern Pelaides, Nu Carina, Eta Carina + Homonculus + dark Keyhole area, Little Gem OC, Blue Planetary, Spiral planetary, GC near M Centaurus, Centaurus A galaxy, M104, M10, M12, M9 and a nearby NGC glob, Beta Crux and nearby Carbon star, Jewl Box, Alpha Crux, and probably a few I have forgot
Yeah we saw those too. Who needs to keep a log when Andrew is around?