Old 21-08-2014, 11:06 AM
jase (Jason)

FocusMax v4

What's everyone's take on FocusMax becoming a commercial product? In some ways I believe it was inevitable but does it warrant the USD$150 price tag for software that just does one thing, albeit it does it exceptionally well.

http://www.ccdware.com/products/focusmax/

Steve Brady, lead developer advises he's no longer providing support for FocusMax v3. Tough call given the cult like following with FocusMax. So if you want support, you need to upgrade.
Old 21-08-2014, 11:09 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

As I mentioned in another thread the other day, I'm happy to pay for the software, but, $150 does seem rather steep.

Having said that, it fits in with the pricing of all the other CCDWare offerings.

It never ends, does it? *sigh*

H
Old 21-08-2014, 11:12 AM
jase (Jason)

True H, If you get premium support then its likely worth it but if you trawl the focus max yahoo groups, its full of people complaining the software doesn't work when in reality they've got a lousy focuser or some other mechanical issue.
Old 21-08-2014, 12:09 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

I'd happily pay for FMv4 right now if Steve would finally get around to fixing PoleAlignMax so it knows about JNOW

Given the amount of effort he has put into FMax he'd be lucky to get the equivalent of minimum wage from product sales at that price (even without whatever cut CCDWare takes) so I don't begrudge him the amount. I probably won't buy a copy myself until it has features compelling enough to move from the free version.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 21-08-2014, 12:11 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

The ability to plate solve with the filter of your choice is one compelling reason! Not having to wait an eternity for a narrowband filter to plate solve would be awesome.

H
Old 21-08-2014, 02:26 PM
alistairsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
The ability to plate solve with the filter of your choice is one compelling reason! Not having to wait an eternity for a narrowband filter to plate solve would be awesome.

H
don't most automation software do that already? ccdAP does, I'm guessing its easy in CCD commander as well. you specify the L filter, exposure, bin for plate solves, once done, change to your narrowband filter and expose after focus.

Alistair
Old 21-08-2014, 02:37 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Hi Alistair,

In CCD Commander, I select to choose to focus with a filter. Then, when control is passed to FocusMax, it uses that specified filter to do the AcquireStar function (find appropriate star to focus on based on user specification). In my case, I select a magnitude 4-5 star, above 65 degrees, and, a minimum of 3 degree slew away from my current object. I used to focus at zenith, but, have chosen to focus near my object now, instead.

Once you select AcquireStar, it uses the filter that was specified with CCD Commander. I suspect all other automation software does the same.

Now, with FocusMax version 4, it allows you to select a filter to perform the plate solves and then use the actual filter you wish to focus with.

If you were using a very small bandwidth narrowband filter, the AcquireStar plate solving feature could take a very, very long time, because it needs to expose and plate solve, then move the scope, and perform another solve to centre the star (if pointing accuracy is an issue).

The new feature allows you to select a filter for the plate solves, and, then, choose the filter you wish to focus with. This should have always been made available.

H
Old 21-08-2014, 02:50 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Sorry, H, not a problem with ACP I always focus with L and use filter offsets.
Old 21-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

CCD Commander allows offsets, too. However, with my RoboFocus-centre-position-number-changing problem, I can't make use of them.

I need to invest in a proper focuser.

I'll be going down the ACP route eventually.

H
Old 21-08-2014, 03:23 PM
alistairsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Hi Alistair,

In CCD Commander, I select to choose to focus with a filter. Then, when control is passed to FocusMax, it uses that specified filter to do the AcquireStar function (find appropriate star to focus on based on user specification). In my case, I select a magnitude 4-5 star, above 65 degrees, and, a minimum of 3 degree slew away from my current object. I used to focus at zenith, but, have chosen to focus near my object now, instead.

Once you select AcquireStar, it uses the filter that was specified with CCD Commander. I suspect all other automation software does the same.

Now, with FocusMax version 4, it allows you to select a filter to perform the plate solves and then use the actual filter you wish to focus with.

If you were using a very small bandwidth narrowband filter, the AcquireStar plate solving feature could take a very, very long time, because it needs to expose and plate solve, then move the scope, and perform another solve to centre the star (if pointing accuracy is an issue).

The new feature allows you to select a filter for the plate solves, and, then, choose the filter you wish to focus with. This should have always been made available.

H
hi H,

In CCDAP, you set the desired filter and bin and exposure you want in the global options for plate solves, it always uses that when a plate solve is required. this is my understanding.

with CCDcommander, assuming you're starting from park, can't you slew to your target, set filter to L, pick a star to focus, do a focus run, then do the plate solve, centre routine, then change filter to Ha, focus and then start imaging? surely this would work as you're already centered?

unless you're talking about platesolving for focusmax for the focus routine's star selection?

and isn't there an autofocus routine in Maxim with V curves? why use focusmax for autofocus?

Cheers
Alistair
Old 21-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Hey mate,

Yep, CCD Commander also allows you to choose which filter, binning and exposure duration you wish to plate solve with (individually, for each time you enable the action; so, if you wanted, you could add two plate solve actions, and, perform the solve with different filters).

As for picking a star to focus on -- I let FocusMax do that. I can't be bothered picking relevant stars and then programming them in. It's easier just to use AcquireStar and let FocusMax deal with the vagaries of selecting an appropriate star to focus on (magnitude, altitude, minimum distance from target, and so on).

I've never used MaxIm DL's focus routine. From memory, you needed to input how far the drawtube travels for a given distance. It would then use that for calibration. It's so much easier just to use the First Light Wizard in FocusMax and let it perform its own V-curves.

I'll pony up the $150 for a couple of reasons; one of which is that I believe the authors deserve some kind of compensation for their (almost 15 years of incredible) generosity.

H
Old 21-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase View Post
What's everyone's take on FocusMax becoming a commercial product? In some ways I believe it was inevitable but does it warrant the USD$150 price tag for software that just does one thing, albeit it does it exceptionally well.

Steve Brady, lead developer advises he's no longer providing support for FocusMax v3. Tough call given the cult like following with FocusMax. So if you want support, you need to upgrade.
Hmmm mixed feeling on this Jase. I can see why Steve should be getting a buck or two for his efforts. However, the price is too steep at $150USD. Personally $100 is all I would be prepared to pay.

One thing that I really liked was that this software was free and it showed a level of altruism that is rare for astronomy equipment and software.

Like I said mixed feelings.
Old 21-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase View Post

I'd pay that if it worked on Mac...
Old 22-08-2014, 12:06 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Initially I saw the price and also thought it was a bit too high. But, then I remembered all the years of effort Steve has put into all these versions of FM, and how exceptionally well the software performs. I think he has earned this fee and I hope he is successful.

I'm excited to try V.4 since it has the potential to solve a major issue for me in that it will run two different focusers and work with TSX. I've had to resort to running virtual WinXP along with Win7 just to use FM V.3 on my two TECs. It just wasn't pratical to change profiles and hubs on two scopes for every focus run.

Peter