Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 21-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Logieberra (Logan)

Breaking News - Astro-Physics: 1200GTO Discontinued

Just received a notification from the AP Yahoo Group, '1600GTO with optional Absolute Encoders to replace 1200GTO. Details: http://www.astro-physics.com/product...to/1600gto.pdf

Enjoy,

Logan.

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, Marj <marj@...> wro
> To all,

> We are very excited to announce our new 1600GTO German Equatorial mount, which features optional Absolute Encoders available for both R.A. and Dec. - the pinnacle of precision. Absolute Encoders provide completely error-free tracking, software readable absolute position, homing and customizable limit functions.
>
> Additional features include: through-the-mount cabling, instrument carrying capacity of approximately 220 lbs. (100 kg), 0-78 degree latitude range and quick, automatic worm mesh. The 1600GTO includes the time-proven GTOCP3 Servo Control Box for reliable operation. When paired with Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC - scheduled to be released very soon), the 1600GTO is a robust imaging platform for remote observation.
>
> The 1600GTO was designed to grow with you as you explore new avenues of astronomy. It can be used in its basic configuration with the Keypad for simple backyard observing or you can add the optional Absolute Encoders when you are ready for the most demanding astro-imaging. The encoders are field-upgradable so that you do not have to return the mount to Astro-Physics to have them installed.
>
> This mount will have its debut at the Northeast Astro Imaging Conference (NEAIC) next Thursday, April 26 and be featured at our booth at the Northeast Astronomy Forum & Telescope Show (NEAF) during the weekend. If you are planning to attend, please stop by to check it out.
>
> The pricing and delivery schedule have not been finalized, however we plan to have more information next week. Please do not call the office. For the next few days, we will be packing our equipment for transport to NEAIC and NEAF. We will add more information to our website after we return.
>
> For those of you interested in the 1200GTO, we regret to inform you that it will no longer be available to purchase. Instead, you may want to consider this next generation mount in the same size class. Each person on the 1200GTO notification list will receive an e-mail today with this announcement. Their names will automatically be transferred to the 1600GTO notification list. If a smaller mount will suit your needs, consider our 900GTO. It is currently available for delivery within a few days of your order.
>
> Please check out this link for more information:
> http://www.astro-physics.com/product...to/1600gto.pdf
>
> Sign up on the notification list here:
>
> http://www.astro-physics.com/webdata/notify.htm
>
> Clear Skies!
>
> Marj Christen
> Vice President
> Astro-Physics, Inc
> 11250 Forest Hills Road
> Machesney Park, IL 61115
> Phone: 815-282-1513
> Fax: 815-282-9847
> www.astro-physics.com

Last edited by Logieberra; 21-04-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 21-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Logieberra (Logan)

They're calling it, "Sweet 16"... Ya got that right! I wonder how much... $15,000.00 ?
Old 21-04-2012, 09:10 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Guess the Absolute Encoders and Astro-Physics Command Centre are to compete with the Paramount ME in the remote observatory market.

DT
Old 21-04-2012, 10:07 AM
gregbradley

It sounds awesome. The Planewave Ascension 200 would be another competitor.

Greg.
Old 21-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Logieberra (Logan)

Videos of APCC in action:

http://www.astro-physics.com/index.h...ts/AIC10/aic10

http://www.screencast.com/t/oByq8nxVz5oq
Old 21-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Logieberra (Logan)

Perhaps my fav part about this release is that the optional Absolute Encoders can be added at a later date. That's my plan, get into one hell of a mount (barely, and by selling the cat...), with a superb precision update down the track. Merry Christmas!

After looking closely at the specs of the 3600GTO (or El Capitan!) for the last few weeks, I was left wondering when the high res encoders would find their way to the smaller APs. I almost emailed AP to confirm that. Talk about good timing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li1pU...e_gdata_player

Last edited by Logieberra; 21-04-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 21-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

You're going all out, Logan!

When do you get a 16803-based camera?

H
Old 21-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

H, come see me in 2 yrs once I've finished saving for the mount! I'll run a disposable point and shoot camera in the mean time
Old 21-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Rigel003 (Graeme)

Looks like a great product and brings their mounts into the 21st century. I just wish they'd spend more time making refractors.
Old 21-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Welcome to the waiting list
Old 21-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Speculation on price:

(Figures deleted... the speculation was WAY OFF and is therefore bad publicity for AP. Deleted)

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...l/fpart/2/vc/1

Some bitter-sweet sentiments out there, especially those who have been on the 1200 waiting list for some time, or for those who dropped 10k on a mount from the last 1200 production run! One guy has described it as being hit by a bus!

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ap-gto/message/36029

Last edited by Logieberra; 26-04-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 24-04-2012, 07:39 PM
gregbradley

Sounds great. If those encoders were able to be fitted to an AP1200 then the recent owners would not feel so bad.

As far as APOs go, Roland has posted he does about 200 scopes per year.

In the last year it seemed to be only AP130GT and RHAs.

Greg.
Old 26-04-2012, 07:30 AM
dvj (John)

I'll probably be age 70 by the time my RHA arrives.
Old 26-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Marke (Mark)

They will be announcing the release of a new scope and the APCC software at NEAF if not sooner
Old 26-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Looks like the cat is out of the bag:

'Tentative introductory price' for 1600 = $10,900.00

You may also like to check out the whopping new AP StarFire 175!!!

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ap-gto/message/36205

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ap-gto/message/36207

See AP 'What's New' for details on the new 175:

http://www.astro-physics.com/index.h...tsnew/whatsnew
Old 27-04-2012, 05:31 AM
dvj (John)

Wow! An AP 175. I had no idea they were making one. But then again, I have not been following their refractor product line that closely as I wait for the RHA. Good luck getting on the list for that 175. Seems they are going back to the old wait lists for the 180's - that lsit goes back to the mid 90's when I received my 180 f/7. AP has an interesting cadence of product launches. You never know what's coming out of the shop next. Marj told me once that you have to wait if you want Roland's personal attention to the final optics.

The other issue with the wait lists is that the "lists" are loaded with speculators, not actual users.

Cheers,
Old 27-04-2012, 06:34 AM
gregbradley

It'd be great if Roland trains up a bunch of trusted and bonded employees to do that lens work.

That way he could get his scopes out more enmasse.

I guess he is concerned he will create his own rivals like with TMB.

175 sounds good but there's already a TEC180Fl so not as exciting as say an AP RC or Cassegrain or CDK or something a bit larger.

Greg.
Old 27-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Logieberra (Logan)

More pics of the 1600:

http://astropolis.pl/topic/38268-nea...ost__p__454557
Old 27-04-2012, 07:29 AM
dvj (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
It'd be great if Roland trains up a bunch of trusted and bonded employees to do that lens work.

That way he could get his scopes out more enmasse.

I guess he is concerned he will create his own rivals like with TMB.

175 sounds good but there's already a TEC180Fl so not as exciting as say an AP RC or Cassegrain or CDK or something a bit larger.

Greg.
The Offician Stellari RH 200 and RH 300 models are shipping now. Many more excellent options then we had in the 90s. I actually had to manually guide my telescope back then.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:01 AM
Logieberra (Logan)

While we're at it, you may as well note that the AP 900GTO is also retiring. The current models on the shelf will be the last produced

Good news is that the Mach1 looks safe for a LONG time. Here is the extract from the AP Yahoo Group post:

"Re: Will an AP900 go upgrade like AP1600 but smaller size?"

You have the right idea regarding feature options, however the details are not final. It will widen the gap between the Mach1 and the 900, which was a bit too close.

The Mach1GTO will be around a long time. It was the first upgrade project when it replaced the 400 and600. Wehavetaken whatwelearnedfrom the Mach1 and 3600 and are moving the 1200and900 into thefuture.

Marj Christen

--- In ap-gto@yahoogroups.com, "dannysperry" <danny@...> wrote: > > I would expect it to be an updatesimilar to the 1200-to-1600 update... Increased weight capacity (maybe 80-90 lbs.), maybe slightly heavier/larger overall, repositioned and self-tensioning RA and DEC motors, through-the-mount cabling, etc. This will help draw a more solid line between the Mach1 and the current 900. > > An expensive encoder option may be a hard sell on a 900-ish size mount but, if it's an option, I'm sure thereare people out there who can put it to good use. > > Or, maybe the Mach1GTO gets a bit beefier and the 900 goes away entirely (I hope not, but ya neverknow). > > -dp

And another reply:

Yes, we plan to take the 900 GTO to thenextlevel withsomeof the same features as the 1600. Sinceitis smaller,itwillpresentsomespecial challenges. It will be awhile before they are ready.

Meanwhile, we have some of the current 900s in stock. If the current configuration meets your needs (and it will for most people), we encourage you to order. This is the last run. They will serve you well into future.

Marj Christen