Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-10-2013, 05:27 PM
quantoid (Mike)

Question What to expect from 10" Dob

Hi I'm planning to get a 10" collapsible Dobsonian (e.g. Skywatcher or Saxon) as a first telescope. Has anyone taken photos that show how things will look to some looking through such a 'scope?

For example, the Orion Nebula or Andromeda galaxy just look like misty patches of cloud through a small telescope. Does 10" make a big difference? Or do you just see a larger patch of mist?
Old 14-10-2013, 05:32 PM
quantoid (Mike)

Smile

Maybe someone on the Central Coast has one I could look through?
Old 14-10-2013, 05:55 PM
glend (Glen)

Don't know how many people are taking photos through a 10" dob but you might ask about images through a 10" newt setup for astrophotography. Dobs tend to be visual observation instruments.

You could go along to the next Pony Club night and check out the view through various sized apertures.

Last edited by glend; 14-10-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 14-10-2013, 06:23 PM
omegacrux (David)

Hi Mike
A 10in Dob shows a lot of detailes of Orion and many other nebulas
On Tuc47 and omega great
Imaging through a Dob isn't easy , field rotation and being altaz
But people do get good pics with them
Visually a 10in Dob is very good

And welcome

David
Old 14-10-2013, 08:07 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

+ 1 from me as well , a 10 inch shows plenty.
A life times worth .
Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegacrux View Post
Hi Mike
A 10in Dob shows a lot of detailes of Orion and many other nebulas
On Tuc47 and omega great
Imaging through a Dob isn't easy , field rotation and being altaz
But people do get good pics with them
Visually a 10in Dob is very good

And welcome

David
Old 14-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Allan

A 10" Dob is a brilliant bit of gear. I spent years with a 4.5" as a kid, so 10 inches could keep you happy for ever.

As Glen says you should get along to the Pony Club at Mangrove Mountain for a look through different scopes. Next night will be in 2 to 3 weeks around the new moon.

One of the guys has a 10" Dob and I got to look through it recently. We where casually looking at galaxy clusters 65 million light years away. Rob does have some very nice eyepieces though, which is something you should budget for if you want to get the most out of your telescope. Orion nebula and the like will blow you away in a 10". Having said that, don't expect to see the bright, colourful images you see in astro photos, as our eyes are not very colour sensitive at night

Might I suggest you consider a solid tube Dob. A 10" is not too big to cart around, and there are some advantages to a solid tube.
Old 14-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Redshift13 (Rohan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Might I suggest you consider a solid tube Dob. A 10" is not too big to cart around, and there are some advantages to a solid tube.
I'm also considering a 10" dob as my first scope... but still being very new to all things astro, would you mind elaborating on the advantages of a solid tube (vs a truss design, I presume)?
Old 14-10-2013, 08:55 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift13 View Post
I'm also considering a 10" dob as my first scope... but still being very new to all things astro, would you mind elaborating on the advantages of a solid tube (vs a truss design, I presume)?
collimation holds considerably better then a truss design. easier to set up. if there is stray light .. you will need a shroud with a truss.

the only advantage of a truss is portability. imo... and probably reaching ambient temp quicker.

I have a solid tube 10" gso, it's easy to move .. but I only goto my backyard because the skies are fairly dark where I am. if you need to travel .. maybe a truss is better
matt

Last edited by noeyedeer; 14-10-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 14-10-2013, 08:58 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

You really do need to see through one first. Otherwise we may give the wrong impression since each of us experience the view differently.

As for myself, I personally find deep sky objects unimpressive visually. They all just look like blobs of grey/green smoke to me. That's why I got interested in deep sky astrophotography, so I could photograph what I can't see.

The planets are bright but usually tiny. The Moon is impressive. Big, bright and very detailed.
Old 14-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Allan

Hi Rohan,

Just as Matt has described, there are advantages to a solid tube in these sizes. Around 12" is the cutoff for solid tubes, sizes above this are dominated by trusses due to the shear size of the telescope. But at 10" the tube is still quite portable.

Additionally, truss tubes are heavier than solid tubes, and require slightly larger and heavier bases. The extra engineering and materials involved increase the cost of a truss design v solid tube.

My personal preference to solid tubes at smaller apertures are due to easier, more stable collimation, quick setup, and good contrast from a solid, flocked tube.

I know you can get to a dark sky with a 10" tube in smallish cars. With a 12" it becomes more problematic, and you can argue either way for tube v truss. So, this is only my opinion, but I don't think you need to give up all the benefits of a solid tube, and go and buy a truss Dob at 10" in aperture.
Old 14-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Redshift13 (Rohan)

Thanks for the responses to my question.
It's all good information (especially for a beginner such as myself) and hopefully adds some value to the thread.
Old 15-10-2013, 04:18 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoid View Post
Hi I'm planning to get a 10" collapsible Dobsonian (e.g. Skywatcher or Saxon) as a first telescope. Has anyone taken photos that show how things will look to some looking through such a 'scope?

For example, the Orion Nebula or Andromeda galaxy just look like misty patches of cloud through a small telescope. Does 10" make a big difference? Or do you just see a larger patch of mist?
Hi Mike,
welcome to IIS
I have a Skywatcher 10" collapsible DOB.
You are welcome to come and look through it anytime you like (preferably after dark). And I am not too far from you (Tuggerawong).

If you (or anyone else) want to talk off line, let me know and I will send you my contact phone and/or address.
Old 15-10-2013, 07:12 AM
quantoid (Mike)

Thumbs up Good advice, thanks

Thanks everyone for the helpful answers.

A solid tube would certainly be cheaper and simpler, so sounds like that might be better as a first 'scope. We might take pics of the Moon and planets through it, but I realise that deep space objects requiring a long exposure will be tricky.

I'm still surprised that retailers don't show photos of what things look like through each 'scope to the average human eye. It must be possible, with the right exposure and colour desaturation. It's all a bit vague otherwise.

I'll try to make it to the next meeting at Mangrove Mountain, if people bring things like 10" Dobs there.
Old 15-10-2013, 07:30 AM
quantoid (Mike)

Talking "Pony Club"?!

Why isn't the "Pony Club" listed under "Clubs and Society Listings"?

Do we have to bring a pony?
Old 15-10-2013, 07:42 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Why isn't the "Pony Club" listed under "Clubs and Society Listings"?

Do we have to bring a pony?
It is listed in the sticky section of the Star Parties .... forum.
Watch that forum for details of the next meet, as the new moon approaches.

It is not a Club.
It is a viewing session on the site of the Mangrove Mountain Pony Club.

Please do not bring your pony, unless he is house trained.
Old 15-10-2013, 09:15 AM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Quote:
I'm still surprised that retailers don't show photos of what things look like through each 'scope to the average human eye.
I don't think lining the box with photos of faint grey blobs would be a good marketing approach. Covering the small department store telescope box with colourful hubble photos tends to sell them better.
Old 15-10-2013, 12:42 PM
keni (Ken)

Hi Mike,
Have a look here as well.
http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/field-view-calculator

Here you can select a telescope(size and type), select an EP and an object to view.
Hope that helps.

Ken.