Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 AM
waterrat (Greg)

There's a fraction too much sticktion...

Hi all. I'm kind of getting over the sticktion on the azimuth of my Dob mount (8" Saxon collapsible). There's some hefty slabs of teflon on the base with a circular piece around the centre and wondering has anyone ever replaced, lubricated (in some way) or adjusted these to create a little less "stick" and grip. Loosening the bolt introduces a bit of lateral 'drift' between the two halves of the mount so it just needs to be a bit slipperier...

Any ideas would be most welcome!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:45 AM
astro_nutt

Hi Greg.
You can try and gently scuff the teflon pads with steelwool or a fine grade of wet and dry. (Make sure you rub the Teflon pads in the direction of rotation) Give the pads and the friction surface a good clean with metho. You can then give the friction surface a coat of car wax and buff off. I hope this helps. Cheers!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Barrykgerdes

What is the surface that the pads bear against. The standard coating on the particle board of the cheaper DOB mounts is not a good surface for the teflon pads to rub against I used a sheet of formica that never gave any problems and the base rotation was smooth as silk.

Barry
Old 04-08-2013, 01:18 PM
waterrat (Greg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrykgerdes View Post
What is the surface that the pads bear against. The standard coating on the particle board of the cheaper DOB mounts is not a good surface for the teflon pads to rub against I used a sheet of formica that never gave any problems and the base rotation was smooth as silk.

Barry
Good idea! where can you get single sheets from? It is just laminated chipboard I would say. Thx for heads up!!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:20 PM
waterrat (Greg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_nutt View Post
Hi Greg.
You can try and gently scuff the teflon pads with steelwool or a fine grade of wet and dry. (Make sure you rub the Teflon pads in the direction of rotation) Give the pads and the friction surface a good clean with metho. You can then give the friction surface a coat of car wax and buff off. I hope this helps. Cheers!
Aha! I rotate in both directions, so haven't done any scuffing yet. However I grabbed some spray on furniture polish containing silicone that I thought might not react with the teflon. Just going to spray and buff a couple of times with that and see what happens! Thx!
Old 04-08-2013, 03:37 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCM9ACDB94w

I've tried a few , and find mr sheen in the squirt bottle is easily the best , clean surfaces with metho as mentioned and I rub it on lightly with a chux cloth it doesn't bother the Teflon.

You'll also find mention of a product called sailcote, I drove round in circles for ages in east Brisbane to get my hand on some and found it no better than silicone spray.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Barrykgerdes

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrat View Post
Good idea! where can you get single sheets from? It is just laminated chipboard I would say. Thx for heads up!!
That's a good question. My EX used to work at Formica and brought some home about 25 years ago.

Barry
Old 04-08-2013, 04:10 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

kitchen manufacturers will often keep offcuts of the textured laminates
,as its upwards of $300 a sheet I was told , you may not get a choice of colours but I bought a 40x40 square for $20 or less.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:07 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

You can get a lazy Susan bearing, screw one piece to base & 1 to bootom edge of top piece -slides around fairly easy then
Old 04-08-2013, 07:15 PM
waterrat (Greg)

thx all...seems a bit smoother grabbed some cheap stuff called "Glitz" from Bunnings - I'll give it a few polishes more but I like where its going so far.