Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 14-07-2015, 09:57 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Nope, never have, never will .. if they want to throw ads at me I'm not going to pay for the 'privilege'.
Old 14-07-2015, 10:20 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

I'm really missing the F1 now, but $60 per month ($720 per year) to watch the ten races that aren't on One / Ten is WAY too much for me. (I know you can get it for as "little" as $50 per month / $600 per year in SD, but I reckon once you've paid that much, you'd be a mug to not pay the extra $10 for HD.) Yes, there's no doubt that the Sky coverage on Foxtel is a LOT better than the One / Ten coverage, but at the end of the day, I'd settle for just the races in SD if I could get it for a reasonable price.

I'd sign up to a live streaming F1 subscription in a flash if it was a reasonable price. What's "reasonable"? Well, everyone has their own measure - for me, it's probably around $200 per year for a full season. I'm seriously not interested in the rest of the bundle that you have to take with Foxtel to get access to the Sports package, which is the only way to access F1 in Australia.

And F1 wants to know why TV audiences are falling away?!

(We're on ADSL2+, with a synch speed of "only" 12 Mbps, but it handles streaming HD TV services such as Netflix without any trouble.)
Old 14-07-2015, 10:40 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
It is a service, and they charge a fee.
What is the problem with that?
Do you pay a fee for your internet access?
If it provides something you want, (content, audio/video quality, convenience {like pause record and scheduling} then you decide if it is good value or not.
I use the internet a lot, but I get more "entertainment" from Foxtel per month for around the same fee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Stefan07 View Post
Totally agree. It's another service provided just like the internet. Same as a mobile phone!
Completely correct, but it misses the point IMO.

Yes, Foxtel is a service, but it is one wanting to charge monopoly rents to access that service, and it is STILL using a decades old delivery model, one that no longer has the benefit of watching no ads. Given we can get everything else we ever would have watched on Foxtel for under $200 per year and watch it when we want not when they decide we can, I am not going to support the creaking old model of stitching up content monopolies so that you can then charge an arm and a leg for it by paying at least triple that amount so that I can watch content they have whisked away from free to air purely in order to make a profit on it. not to mention the careful packaging of heaps of dross in the packages with the good stuff just so they can sell advertising into "The voice Antarctica on the "Obscure and unwatchable content channel" because it has 100,000 subscribers, 3 of which actually watch it.

I am with Julian, if they created an F1 streaming service at around $200 per year and made it one worth having so HD, choose your camera feed at will, or just sit back and watch what the director thinks, stream, pause, rewind and retain access to past races for a reasonable period (Like perhaps keep an entire season available so you can watch live if you like but can also watch the whole lot later on) it would be a "Shut up and take my money" situation.
Old 14-07-2015, 01:29 PM
scagman (John)

No, I'm totally against paying $50 a month for adds and repeats. Enough of them on FTA tv.
I haven't missed a race for 20-25yrs and was very p'd off when it was decided to go to foxtel.
Still haven't missed a race. Download the Hola extension/plugin for your browser and use the BBC's Iplayer. They sometimes have qualifying and practice sessions too. Streams well.
Sofar all the races have been shown live except 1 I think.

Cheers
Old 14-07-2015, 02:04 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagman View Post
Still haven't missed a race. Download the Hola extension/plugin for your browser and use the BBC's Iplayer. They sometimes have qualifying and practice sessions too.
But the BBC only gets half of the F1 races live as well (although it's a different mixture to One / Ten http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/30704154 ), under a similar deal as we now get in Australia.

Personally, I refuse to sign up to Foxtel just to get my F1 fix, and I regularly write to formula1.com and respond to fan surveys etc to make sure they know WHY the fans are turning off. I don't expect Bernie to suddenly have a change of heart, but he can't last forever (can he?), and maybe the next generation of managers will see the sense of a direct subscription option for the real fans.
Old 14-07-2015, 02:06 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

It's actually $50 for the Sports combo which includes the base pack.

You do understand that paying extra for the sports channel doesn't just give you Formula 1. It gives you all the sports under the Sun. That's $50 per month to watch any sport you desire.

That includes 4-5 channels dedicated to the Formula 1 during a race. You can choose standard commentary stream, pure sound, onboard and telemetry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
I'm really missing the F1 now, but $60 per month ($720 per year) to watch the ten races that aren't on One / Ten is WAY too much for me. (I know you can get it for as "little" as $50 per month / $600 per year in SD, but I reckon once you've paid that much, you'd be a mug to not pay the extra $10 for HD.) Yes, there's no doubt that the Sky coverage on Foxtel is a LOT better than the One / Ten coverage, but at the end of the day, I'd settle for just the races in SD if I could get it for a reasonable price.

I'd sign up to a live streaming F1 subscription in a flash if it was a reasonable price. What's "reasonable"? Well, everyone has their own measure - for me, it's probably around $200 per year for a full season. I'm seriously not interested in the rest of the bundle that you have to take with Foxtel to get access to the Sports package, which is the only way to access F1 in Australia.

And F1 wants to know why TV audiences are falling away?!

(We're on ADSL2+, with a synch speed of "only" 12 Mbps, but it handles streaming HD TV services such as Netflix without any trouble.)
Old 14-07-2015, 02:13 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Stefan07 View Post
You do understand that paying extra for the sports channel doesn't just give you Formula 1. It gives you all the sports under the Sun. That's $50 per month to watch any sport you desire.
Yes, but I'm an F1 fan, not a Sports fan! (I'm not even interested in the V8 Supercars.)

Foxtel is good value if the content offered matches your viewing tastes; it doesn't make such good sense if you want to watch 2 hours every couple of weeks, which is what it would amount to for me.

As Bruce Springsteen says:
"57 Channels (And Nothin' On)"
Old 14-07-2015, 02:26 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

No worries.

You might need to find a live stream just for F1 online.

Think someone posted it in a reply earlier before.

Quote:
Yes, but I'm an F1 fan, not a Sports fan! (I'm not even interested in the V8 Supercars.)

Foxtel is good value if the content offered matches your viewing tastes; it doesn't make such good sense if you want to watch 2 hours every couple of weeks, which is what it would amount to for me.

As Bruce Springsteen says:
"57 Channels (And Nothin' On)"
Old 14-07-2015, 03:58 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Personally, I refuse to sign up to Foxtel just to get my F1 fix, and I regularly write to formula1.com and respond to fan surveys etc to make sure they know WHY the fans are turning off. I don't expect Bernie to suddenly have a change of heart, but he can't last forever (can he?), and maybe the next generation of managers will see the sense of a direct subscription option for the real fans.

Unfortunately, Foxtel did what Foxtel does and stitched the rights to half of this seasons races up for five years (While the Ch Ten contract had another year to run too, would it be any great surprise to find they pay some more next year and stitch up the lot and the only non pay TV option was delayed highlights?) so any new F1 rights holder is four and a half years away from being able to launch a live streaming service in Australia unless of course Foxtel allowed that in the contract, which I would find very unlikely.
Old 14-07-2015, 06:23 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagman View Post
No, I'm totally against paying $50 a month for adds and repeats. Enough of them on FTA tv.
I haven't missed a race for 20-25yrs and was very p'd off when it was decided to go to foxtel.
Still haven't missed a race. Download the Hola extension/plugin for your browser and use the BBC's Iplayer. They sometimes have qualifying and practice sessions too. Streams well.
Sofar all the races have been shown live except 1 I think.

Cheers
For me I use filmon.com, they show most free to air UK channels live and between the races that are shown locally and the bbc I haven't missed a race yet unless you count having a snooze every now and then missing it. Plus there are no IP restrictions to slow the computer down and it has survived various legal challenges to still be operating legally for those that may have that concern.

I do agree with others though that were F1 to release a season pass subscription fee for a full on HD streaming experience then I would be in, my internet may not be able to cope though.
Old 14-07-2015, 11:07 PM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanerSA View Post
I fought it and fought it, but when F1 and V8SC went, I really felt I had no choice. They were pretty much the only things I watch on TV full stop! The coverage is excellent, but Murdoch can still go and **** himself, which I tell them everytime I do a customer engagement survey.
Pretty much sums up my sentiments esp regarding Rupert, except I am still fighting it.

Tip, if you know someone that has foxtel, they can watch it on up to 3 mobile devices such as pc's / tablets via Foxtel Go app... I get to watch F1 now on my pc without having to pay for it