Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 22-10-2018, 08:46 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoges View Post
The '45 was from Col (Flashdrive) if I remember right. Nice bit of kit. It's the Williams Optics 2" barrel but 1 1/4" on the eyepiece side.
Yes you did ...glad to see you have put it to good use ...!!

Old 22-10-2018, 09:34 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

ive bought the dedicated flattener thats a bit pricier than usual flatteners just because it covers a full frame sensor (if its anything like the ed80 flattener). I'll report back once its been delivered and tested!
Old 22-10-2018, 09:56 PM
Jeff
Starry Eyed

I purchased an Evostar 72ED about a month ago, and have no complaints at all. Purchased mainly as a guide scope, but have used it for some widefield using a full frame sensor. It definitely needs the flattener, especially at full frame. Much lighter than the ED80, and lovely smooth little focuser.

Only small limitation I see is that the focuser does not have much load carrying capacity. Not an issue for me, as I am using mainly as a guide-scope or with as OSC ZWO camera. But would definitely need the focuser "brake" on if using a filter wheel on a mono camera … pointed up near the zenith.

Purchased the scope from Astro Pete's in QLD (good price), and got the flattener from FLO in the UK:
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro...-72ed-pro.html
Old 22-10-2018, 11:02 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

if its anything like the ed80, the tension of the focuser can be adjusted by tightening the screws on the bottom. I had an ED80 prior to this that seemed to have a weak focuser until i tightened these, afterwards it held a 2" CFW + QHY9 no issues even pointing zenith. might be worth having a look.
Old 23-10-2018, 07:27 AM
Jeff
Starry Eyed

Quote:
if its anything like the ed80, the tension of the focuser can be adjusted by tightening the screws on the bottom. I had an ED80 prior to this that seemed to have a weak focuser until i tightened these, afterwards it held a 2" CFW + QHY9 no issues even pointing zenith. might be worth having a look.
Yes, that was the first thing checked. Adjusting the grub screws does help somewhat, but these can only be tightened so much until the focus knobs become a tad difficult to turn. Still a great little scope - would buy again.
Old 24-10-2018, 01:21 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

A little peeved atm. I just received my ED72 reducer from astroanarchy and.... It's just the ED80 reducer and has a separate ring adapter for the ED72 focuser. It costs $75 dollars more for that little ring. The 2" adapter for the ED80 reducer is only $39 and it gives you the choice of adding a 2" filter while the adapter that comes with the "ED72" reducer package doesn't have inner threading to allow filter mounting. I'm going to try asking for a refund and just buy the adapter separately. Can't believe they'd market this as a separate item and charge extra.
Old 15-11-2018, 12:06 PM
Icearcher (Chris)

For anyone interested in the performance of this little champion (yes, Im a big fan), here is a star test report:

https://www.teleskop-spezialisten.de...APO::3724.html

It looks to be a very well corrected little scope, the optics look to be excellent.

Regards
Chris
Old 28-11-2018, 06:18 PM
chris lewis

I have had my new S/W Evostar 72 ED for a week now and its one impressive telescope. I purchased it from Astronomy Alive in Melbourne.
I use it purely for visual use.
CA is marginally less then all the Synta ED doublets scopes with the FPL-53 glass I have owned and that includes the 80, 100 and 120mm versions
It also has noticeable less CA then my now sold S/W Equinox 80 mm F. 6.2[Which was really a semi-APO].
CA is only noticeable on 100x magnifications + and only on bright hi-contrast day time situations.
On bright planets and the lunar limb really is CA is non existent in normal use.
There is some mild field curvature esp. on wide angle EP's as to be expected.
It star tests perfectly.
It is light and portable, far more so then an ED80 with 8mm more aperture.
I have it at present on a basic HD camera tripod.
Fit and finish is excellent for this price point.
The only minor negative is the limited focus travel on some of my EP's. Using a 1.25 in prism diagonal some do not reach focus due to lack of back focus travel.
Otherwise the 2x speed focus unit is very smooth to use.
This is a very cost effective scope and a definite 'best buy'.
What ever glass S/W are using now, it works very well.
I have been observing for nearly 50 years and this is my 'retirement' quick look night and day scope. A Televue 76 mm would have been nice but at less then a 1/4 the price this will do nicely.

Chris
Old 28-11-2018, 06:34 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Chris ...sounds like a great little Scope
Old 03-12-2018, 03:03 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Another image from the ED72 on the star adventurer. 10x 3min guided. One thing that urks me is that with the QHY8L i need 30mm additional spacing for the flattener BUT this means that i don't have enough in focus to get perfect focus. Without the spacer, I dont have enough out focus. Either i need to suffer from incorrect spacing or small focus error. :/ Whyd they make the draw tube so short?!Did they really save THAT much by making the draw tube 5cm long?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ple2.jpg)
200.4 KB114 views
Old 03-12-2018, 04:46 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icearcher View Post
For anyone interested in the performance of this little champion (yes, Im a big fan), here is a star test report:

https://www.teleskop-spezialisten.de...APO::3724.html

It looks to be a very well corrected little scope, the optics look to be excellent.

Regards
Chris
Chris I love mine ..use it over my BIG 130mm TS Triplet on most doubles about 1.9" or wider etc ..Sooo portable 2kg?.
OVERPERFORMS VISUALLY

bigjoe

Last edited by bigjoe; 03-12-2018 at 05:45 PM. Reason: add