Old 13-07-2018, 12:42 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

SW 180 Mak ?

There is a Skywatcher 180mm Maksutov listed over here at a 'reasonable' price. I am thinking of adding it to the stable to cover galaxy\planetary imaging. Probably the last scope I'd need now.
Reviews say optically they are very good, up near APO level but mechanically they are a bit basic. Anyone here with 'hands on' opinion on how good\bad they are ?
Old 13-07-2018, 01:53 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I had one for a while living in the UK....
As you say optically very good, and it was pretty stable and easy to use.
I didn't have rings for it, just the built in dovetail and couldn't figure out how to fit a finder without doing damage!

I also bought the conversion adaptor to allow the use of my SCT fittings. A good investment.

All in all a nice scope with no major issues.
Old 13-07-2018, 03:26 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Thanks Ken, this one comes with finder shoe and finder (8 x 50), on a vixen rail with 1.25" diagonal. Must be a later version.
Old 13-07-2018, 08:19 PM
Bushy69 (Justin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Thanks Ken, this one comes with finder shoe and finder (8 x 50), on a vixen rail with 1.25" diagonal. Must be a later version.
I have the older model than the one Philip is selling in classifieds (ie.. the gold tube version). Have to say I am very happy with it for Planets and moon, and double stars.

Mine has 8x50 finder, but I also added a Telrad Red Dot, and its hassle free finding planets.

Upgrades that I did immediately...

MAk to SCT Adapter (which Philip is also selling in accessories I think). This allows you to fit items made for an SCT onto the visual back. I added a 10:1 Crayford Focuser... as the standard focusing on the MAK (and most SCT's) is seriously a *****. The 10:1 is a dream in comparison. Also allows 2" eyepieces (and visually a Panoptic 27mm has been so enjoyable). Though 15mm is my sweet spot for visual on planets.

My experiences...

Its pretty heavy, mainly due to the Corrector thickness (meniscus lens). This in turn adds to cool down time. I am just in the habit of putting the OTA outside a couple of hours before observing, then slide it onto my EQ mount when I am ready.

The factory dovetail is dodgy as all hell for such a heavy scope, and I will be doing exactly what Philip did to his, and remove it and fit tube rings... this is a good upgrade that has already been done to the one in classifieds.

2700mm Focal length, so don't expect to be doing DS Photograpy, and unlike 8" SCT, a focal reducer/Flattener is not really suitable. Thats not to say you cant still enjoy many DSO's... Orion Neb in 27mm Pan is really stunning, as are items like the Jewel Box and many Globular Clusters.

On an EQ6 and a piggy backed 60mm - 80mm APO, you would end up with the best of both worlds IMO.

Best of luck.

Justin
Old 13-07-2018, 09:32 PM
Wavytone

Brent I've had two over the past 12 years and seen a few more...

An early one (OK but not perfect) and a later one that was as near to optically perfect as you could expect from a budget scope, 9.5 out of 10. The latter scope was IMHO the perfect scope for casual lunar & planetary observing and the others I've seen were all good, definitely better than the equivalent 8" SCTs.

- they are the smallest scope I know of that is fitted with a 2" back, although the central baffle limits the light cone somewhat they will fill most 2" eyepieces if you have a 2" diagonal.

- at f/15 the central obstruction is smaller than in SCTs giving a refractor-like view - enough aperture and perfect resolution easily exceeding all the 8" SCT's I've seen in 40 years...

- ideal size - big enough but not too heavy, for casual observing;

- with a big 2" eyepiece (I used a 38mm UWA) they can do quite nicely on DSO's if you have a dark sky site, though an 8" SCT will have more light-grasp;

- focussing is by the primary sliding along the central baffle driven by a micrometer screw much like Celestron/Meade, however the mechanism is good and image shift nothing to fret over;

- with an aluminised spot secondary there are no adjustments at that end. The only collimation adjustment is at the primary mirror cell - with 3 pairs of push-pull screws. Be very very careful with these as a fraction of a turn is all it takes to send the collimation totally skew-whiff if you are unsure of what you are doing.

Only reason I sold mine was to fund the replacement.. which is (drum roll...) a bigger mak, and one with an impeccable pedigree. But at 228mm aperture it is a LOT heavier !

Only word of warning - be prepared to rethink your eyepiece collection. You will need a big 2" low power one, around 40mm. In these scopes eyepieces around 15..13mm are definitely a sweet spot for medium power and if the seeing permits, 8mm is useful on the planets. I doubt you will need anything shorter, ever.

As Justin indicated the factory dovetail is somewhat unsatisfactory and you may notice the OTA flop a bit. I left mine as-is and for visual use its OK, but if you to add heavy accessories then consider either rings, or obtaining custom-machined curved blocks to fit (from Losmandy or Farpoint) and fitting a Losmandy D plate to the OTA
Old 14-07-2018, 08:18 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

The money has been spent, the clouds are already here.
The buy is not Phillips, this is a local purchase in NZ but I will check out his SCT fittings.
Temp won't be a problem as it will live outside in the Ob on the EQ6. I will be making up a side by side plate to mount it to so I can get guiding through the 80F5 working. Solar system imaging is part of the plan but I'd like to get better galaxy imaging as well. Imaging will be at 1'25" with either the 120mc or the 1600 mm-c, more options to experiment with.
I have a 32mm 2" EP and a selection down to 6mm & 9mm TMB Planetarys plus 15 and 20mm Superviews. Also a Lanthanum 8-24 zoom. Should give me some options, with my dud eyes imaging is more the plan than visual.
Rings, I'll make my own, I have the equipment and time.

Last edited by ZeroID; 14-07-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 14-07-2018, 10:09 PM
netwolf

I have the gold one and visually it’s just awesome, I have acquired two more maks since I just love maks now. the smaller two are mead etx125 and super visually and trying planet imaging now and results are very promising. I also got a c6 and it’s very good and am keen to try a 150 mak.
The 180 converted me to do more visual , spent some memorable nights behind the eyepiece with no laptop or camera in sight. You have got yourself a good unit based on images that have been posted from it.
Old 15-07-2018, 05:59 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

You're all just making me rather impatient now .. should arrive Thursday. maybe Wednesday. Just in time to spot Mars, Jupiter and Saturn.
Old 16-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

And.........
Old 17-07-2018, 04:54 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Venus maybe, my western horizon is somewhat limited from the Ob, about 35* maybe. Mercury is never an option and solar during winter is just a couple of hours after noon. I really only have a slice of sky from about 80* East to 35* West and a northern limit of about 40*. It's only in the South that I can get any near horizon. And even that has been compromised by the lights from the motorway overbridge to the SW which used to be my best sky away from the CBD.
Old 18-07-2018, 05:10 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Arrived early this morning as I was about to hop into the shower. Didn't expect till either later today or more likely tomorrow. And of course the weather has turned into custard, what did you expect ?
So spent the day working on a side by side saddle system. If I can carry the Lunt beside it and the guide scope on top I have all the options covered.
Other than a few external scuffs & marks the scope is excellent, optics look pristine.
Old 19-07-2018, 07:20 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Photo

And up on the EQ6.
While the planets are aligned (that sounds a bit astrology like ) I've just put it up to have a play and try some planetary imaging. You gotta love ZWO, fittings for the back of the Mak are only 1.25" unless you find\buy special bits but amongst the extenders, adapters and various bits that came with the ASI1600mm-c was a fitting that fitted the retaining ring from the Mak. So now I can mount either the 120mc ( as in the pic ) quite solidly or the 1600 as well. Would have loved to have been able to fit my 2" flip mirror in there as well but couldn't find a suitable mixture of fittings. I'll keep looking or the lathe might have an answer.
Visual tests on the Mak are brilliant and both cameras show no vignetting. Very happy, now I'll just go outside and get my Anti-Cloud gun working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180719_093920small.jpg)
170.7 KB51 views
Old 20-07-2018, 05:55 PM
Bushy69 (Justin)

After seeing your pic, I am gonna rummage through my shed for some old dumbell weights. Haha... great idea.

It took me a while to warm to my Mak180, but the more I use it, the more I am convinced I won't part with it.

I find the 10:1 Focuser/Flip Mirror setup to work really well (pictured).

Clear skies to you.

Justin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SWMak180_VB.JPG)
41.6 KB33 views
Old 20-07-2018, 09:05 PM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushy69 View Post
After seeing your pic, I am gonna rummage through my shed for some old dumbell weights. Haha... great idea.

It took me a while to warm to my Mak180, but the more I use it, the more I am convinced I won't part with it.

Clear skies to you.

Justin
Which 10:1 focuser do you have on the mak? And where did you get it from?
Old 20-07-2018, 09:50 PM
Bushy69 (Justin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlzburg View Post
Which 10:1 focuser do you have on the mak? And where did you get it from?
GSO SCT from Bintel. You just need a Mak/SCT adapter. Allows you to use 2" eyepieces as well. A budget GSO 30mm 2" EP is a nice addition (I use a 27mm Panoptic for personal viewing, and the 30mm for family).

Cheers,

Justin
Old 21-07-2018, 11:59 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushy69 View Post

Clear skies to you.

Justin
You'll need to sleeve the weights as the hole is larger than the shaft diameter. I had some alum tube that did the job. I've already changed the setup to a side by side saddle, Lunt with the guide scope piggy backed on one side, the Mak on the other. Seems to be quite well balanced and I can now swap cameras around to suit the target. I may buy another small mono as a permanent guide camera and leave the 120mc available for planetary.
Clouds are still holding up 'First Light' ...