Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy and Amateur Science

Old 25-10-2011, 11:41 PM
madbadgalaxyman (Robert)

Supernova science - some resources

We are all recoiling in "fear and awe" at the sight of the recent type II-P supernova recently discovered by Greg Bock.

So....
Here are some some useful resources about supernovae, mostly at a fairly high readership level (physics/mathematics is required at some level, or, at the minimum, the reader will need to have the ability to follow graphs & physical argument & technical material as well as having a good background in astronomy)

Here is a webpage by M.Montes, which details the various types of supernovae:

http://rsd-www.nrl.navy.mil/7212/montes/snetax.html

Attached below is a (moderately technical) year 2003 review of the light curves of supernovae. It is not particularly complete, so perhaps some of our "SN hunters" can come up with a better resource that characterizes the light curves of the various types of supernovae.

SNe__optical light curves of sne__0304112v1.pdf

A comprehensive discussion of type II-P supernovae and their light curves can be found in Kasen and Woosley (2009, Astrophysical Journal, Vol. 703, p.2205).
The pdf file of this paper can be obtained at:
http://www.ucolick.org/~woosley/ay220-11/papers/kasen09.pdf
This paper explains in detail how this type of supernova varies in luminosity and color, as it evolves. This paper is "a must have" for the hard-core supernova enthusiast! (Fair bit of maths in this paper, but the conclusions are easy enough to understand)

A recent comprehensive review chapter about the physics and evolution of Massive Stars and Supernovae is the preprint known as arxiv: 1008.2144
To find this paper, just go to http://arxiv.org and put "1008.2144" into the search box at the top right of the webpage.
This paper is a good one for the "physics types" in our community. (While I do have a few university physics units under my belt, there are some sections of this paper that I do not understand)

Last edited by madbadgalaxyman; 25-10-2011 at 11:43 PM. Reason: trying to fix an attachment
Old 26-10-2011, 02:05 AM
Greg Bock (Greg Bock)

Thanks Robert, i'll peruse Kasen and Woosley when I get a chance.
Old 26-10-2011, 09:54 AM
rally

Marcos Montes has a library of SN resource links here for those who have a few weeks to spare !

http://rsd-www.nrl.navy.mil/7212/montes/sne.html

There are over 100 links.
Old 26-10-2011, 07:20 PM
PeterM

Robert fantastic links. You continually amaze me. Your knowledge and enthusiasm for all things astronomical and in particular galaxies is second to none. I don't think either of us has been to Leyburn for a while so maybe we should get out there and catch up. Always love reading your posts, I remain humbly a big fan!
Thanks!
PeterM
Old 27-10-2011, 01:01 AM
madbadgalaxyman (Robert)

Thanks, Pete,
it is very good to know that my posts are interesting to others.
Actually, I am equally impressed with your enthusiasm for astronomy.
I think it is probably my curiosity about the physical world that drives me....for instance, I only occasionally read about supernova science, but the recent type II-P event spurred me to dig a little deeper regarding supernovae.

This intense scientific curiosity is both a help and a hindrance, because my astronomical efforts often suffer when I spend large amounts of time investigating other (non-astronomical) sciences, instead of being self-disciplined and sticking with my galaxy studies all the time.....

cheers, Robert