Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 19-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Whizgig (Eugene)
Galaxy Gazer

Also it gets worse with the zoom the more zoom the more the 2 images are apart, so I guess that make things even worse.

Eugene.
Old 19-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Whizgig (Eugene)
Galaxy Gazer

Ok I did a bit more playing with it and I now have it very close to perfect what I did was to take off the the two front lenses and but them back on nice and tight you can barely make out a very slight image but not to bad but it still needs correcting to get it perfect. Thanks Eric for all of your help I will PM you to make arrangements for a time ect.
Eugene.
Old 22-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Whizgig (Eugene)
Galaxy Gazer

A Big thanks to Eric for helping me with the binoculars, I have done what you said and I have now fixed the left & right viewing so they are now perfect. Thanks Eric. As for the telescope it is still no good the image is flared like a comet and very hard to focus it so I have decided to get a 6" dob from Bintel and mount it onto the EQ mount for the time being until I can afford to get the 12" Dob later on. But thanks for trying to mke it better but alas I think its ony fit for the bin so thats where its headed Thanks for all of your help it was much apretiated.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:32 PM
lostnumber

Current recommendations

Hi

this is my first post here. I've been looking around at various websites for binocular reviews but have come up lacking on any good current recommendations for astronomy binoculars. The guide provided here is excellent but for someone who hasn't looked at a pair of binoculars for many years I don't know what the good brands are, what people are using etc.

I am interested in getting a good quality set to start up, something with good sturdy build quality to last many years and with suitable magnification and aperture for star gazing. I am thinking 7x50 or 10x50, these seem to be the minimum specs for beginner stargazing.

So I would like to know if anyone can recommend a few models to check out at the local optical store. I work right near a York Optical shop, would I be best served going straight to them and seeing what they recommend?

My dad had a pair of Nikon 7x35's through which we saw the moons of Jupiter one year. He's had them for many years. I have seen a pair of Nikon 10x50 but haven't found much information or reviews on the specialty of each model range title e.g. Monarch, Action. Do these titles mean much? would you recommend a particular brand/model? Are there any brands to particularly avoid?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:15 PM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

Hi, if you work close to the store, go in and be honest with them and just ask them straight out to show you the best ones and explain why, then ask if you can go outside (in the company of a salesperson) and try them on something a few kilometres away, that way you will get a feel for the weight, grip etc. and see how the focusing works. They work just as well in the daylight on Earthly objects, if you feel good during the little test on the footpath, then they will work just as well at night on heavenly objects. That's my very humble opinion anyway

Last edited by DobDobDob; 10-03-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Spell check
Old 12-03-2009, 07:26 PM
PCH (Paul)

... or if you don't want to spend too much, yet still be reasonably assured of getting a good chinese pair and great service, you could go here ...
www.aoe.com.au/binoculars.html

I bought the 20x90 giants with the associated stand for a very reasonable $400, although they're a bit more now I see. Still great value though.

Cheers,
Old 12-03-2009, 08:16 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

lostnumber, what sort of price range are you looking at? can yougive a range like 0-100, 100-250 etc.. I like 7x50 but you need to have eyes which can take in the 7mm exit pupil & relatively dark skies to take in all the light. 10x50 is now afar more popular size i think.Also you might want to consider whether waterproof/nitrogen purged is important to you, obviously it adds to the price.
As for the nikons you mention - their binos come in a huge range from relative cheap to expensive. The action is at the lower end but expensive in Australia compared with the US price.As an example I bought some celestron regals 10x42 (which retail in Aust for about 1000) in the US for about 330 shipped here - they are well worth it,crystal clear views, & a joy to use
My last pair were bought from AOE, 15x70 ultras - am happy - their site states they check binos before selling which is a big plus in my book
Old 12-03-2009, 09:46 PM
salt3d (Al)

Hi all

I found this site via a link to the excellent article at the top of this thread. I've only been interested in astronomy for a short while, and one of the best bits of advice I found once I decided to spend some money on it was to start with binoculars before purchasing a telescope.

The article and other threads in this forum have answered most of my questions, but a couple remain. Firstly, at about what age does one begin to lose the advantage of a 7mm exit pupil? My 32nd birthday is approaching, so if I only have a few years of youthful vision left (or if my time has passed already) should I get a pair of 10x50s?

Secondly, I'm happy to spend anything from $150 to about $350. Before I go buying the most expensive binoculars I can find, does anyone have advice along the lines of 'don't spend more than $X unless you're willing to spend $Y, because...'

Finally if there's any general advice anyone wants to share, I'd love to hear it. Cheers!
Old 13-03-2009, 08:02 AM
lostnumber

Thanks for the pointers.

I would be looking to spend $200-300. Those 10x90s look good @ $300, would anyone else recommend the AOEs? I would almost certainly need a stand for them for the sheer weight of them right? What do they weigh?

What are the advantages of waterproof / nitrogen purged? Less susceptible to changes in temperature and humidity?

Thanks for the pointers. Any other recommendations would be much appreciated.

matt.
Old 13-03-2009, 09:04 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostnumber View Post
I would be looking to spend $200-300. Those 10x90s look good @ $300, would anyone else recommend the AOEs? I would almost certainly need a stand for them for the sheer weight of them right? What do they weigh?

What are the advantages of waterproof / nitrogen purged? Less susceptible to changes in temperature and humidity?

Thanks for the pointers. Any other recommendations would be much appreciated.

matt.
Matt, if you are looking at the AOE products, email them and ask the questions. Then come back here if you would like comment on the answers you receive.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:12 AM
scottdmann (Scott)

Binoculars, Tripod Mounting and High Altitude Viewing

Hello IIS,

This is a very beginner question.

I have a 10x50mm set of binoculars, which I mount on a camera tripod. It's great and its definitely helps viewing, however I have the following problem.

When trying to view objects of high altitude (high up in the sky), the stage gets close to 70 degrees and its really uncomfortable on my neck to virtually get underneath to view the object.

How do others get around this issue?

Thanks, IIS is a great forum.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:20 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I have a deck chair and blanket .
Old 09-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Scott

The way that I addressed this problem was by building a binocular parallelogram mount or, just using a camera tripod, by viewing the object either before if got to approx 70 degrees, or after it had passed the zenith and was on its way down, past the 70 degrees altitude “pain-in-the-neck” limit.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 09-05-2009, 12:12 PM
PCH (Paul)

Hi Scott,

this is my answer to that, - but they're a bit more than a pair of 10x50's Definitely worth the extra though
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0895_4.JPG)
79.6 KB203 views
Old 09-05-2009, 03:30 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

if you only have 10x50's then the deck chair is the cheapest & most comfortable option - any reclining chair will do, once you go bigger than 12-15x60 then the p-mount or something else is the way to go..I use a large video tripod but sit in a stellar observing seat (gets me to about 85deg)
Old 10-05-2009, 08:55 AM
scottdmann (Scott)

Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks Daniel, PCH (nice setup you have), Dennis and Malcolm.

I'll try the seat option and timing to get a more comfortable view.

Thanks again,
Scott.
Old 27-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Lumen Miner (Mitchell)

Any updates? I only ask as my bino's are acting up similar to yours. I'm not sure if I have cross threaded, as the threads are so so damn fine and aluminium.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:01 PM
scottdmann (Scott)

Update

I've been able to solve most of my issues by persisting with the tripod and timing my observing for more comfortable positioning, i.e. objects are lower in the sky.

I suppose a reclining seat or bean bag would work.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Esseth (Alan)
Worse or better?

G'day I pretty much new to this, but I’m already getting rather into the whole scene. Reading everything I can find about starting up an interest in astronomy. This site has been great in that regard.

So after much much reading I have decided against rushing out and buying a telescope (as much as I want to do it lol) and going to get a decent pair of binoculars either some 12x60's or 11x56's.

So I have two questions that I can’t find the answers to online.

1, I have seen some binoculars with the tag 10x50 HR, what if any is the difference between standard 10x50's and HR ones.

2, I've looked around at several dealers and "Aquila Optical & Electronics (AOE)" seems to be the best value (I found it on the "Binoculars - A Basic Guide for Astronomy" on this site *Awesome guide BTW*), considering I have no experience with it and although I feel a passion. I want to be sure it lasts before I really invest into it. Has anyone had any experience at dealing with AOE?

Old 14-08-2009, 10:29 AM
PCH (Paul)

Hi Alan,

sorry there's been no other replies, so I'll offer my 2c worth. Firstly I don't know what the HR means - sorry. Normally, bins and scopes are described as multi-coated or fully multi-coated. The first means just the lenses are coated while the FMC means all surfaces that light could bounce of are multi-coated. So FMC is the best of these two clearly. And most binocs are fully multi-coated these days anyway, - but worth checking.

AOE have always been really good to deal with in the past, but more than once I've read about people having much trouble getting thru to them. And now seems to be one of those times according to another thread on here right now. Bintel or Andrews have very similar ranges at similar prices.

As for advice about which pair - hmmm !

Bigger is often better, but then you need a mount to keep them steady. So for mininal outlay, I'd probably start with a pair of hand-held 10x50 or similar. And a deck chair and blanket to aid in the viewing process, as you'll need to be comfortable and warm if you're to give this hobby the chance it deserves.

When you're hooked, a pair like this will further enhance your enjoyment of star-gazing .... hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0895_4.JPG)
79.6 KB115 views