Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2015, 07:47 AM
Cazamoline (Caroline)

Hello From A Newbie

Hello everyone!

Complete newbie here who has just received her brand new telescope from Astro Pete's (8" Dobsonian that comes highly recommended for beginners). I'm very much looking forward to exploring and learning more about this wonderful solar system of ours and everything else beyond.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:13 AM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Old 04-02-2015, 08:51 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Hi Caroline and to IIS.
Good start, an 8" DOB should give you some awesome views. If you haven't already downloaded it I suggest you get Stellarium (Free) on your PC so you start identifying the things you want to find and see. You can set it up to show the sky from your location. If you want to start with something spectacular have a look for M42, Orions Sword. It is just above the three stars that form his belt and in a good position for viewing at this time of year.

Ask plenty of questions, we're all here to help and hopefully give good advice.

Cheers
Brent
Old 04-02-2015, 10:01 AM
Sconesbie (Scott)

Welcome Caroline. You'll certainly enjoy it. I'm only fairly new to Astronomy too but absolutely loving it. Orion Nebula (M42) is fairly easy to find. Have fun, I'm sure you will.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:01 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Caroline
Well done on getting an 8" dob. There will be a few things you will learn as you go along, finding targets, collimation, dew prevention, eyepieces. etc.
If you have any queries, just ask!
First thing you have to do is align the finderscope so you can find stuff and then take it out and have a go at the moon and later in the evening, Jupiter (Jupiter is the very bright object in the north east at the moment)
Do that will get you used to moving the scope and finding objects.
Start of with the lowest power eyepiece you have (the one with the longest focal length)
Does the scope come with much in the way of instructions or did Pete help with setting it up?
Which make scope is it?

Malcolm
Old 04-02-2015, 12:44 PM
chiaroscuro (Luke)

Welcome Caroline.
The first object that really blew my mind was 47 Tucanae (NGC 104) and you'd get great views in your Dob. There are lots of people on this forum willing to give patient advice and guidance on any subject.
All the best.

Luke
Old 04-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Eden (Brett)
Registered Rambler

Welcome to the forum, Caroline! Enjoy your new telescope!
Old 04-02-2015, 06:39 PM
creeksky (Pete)

Hi Caroline,
Welcome to IIS! Congrats on your 8 inch Dobsonian, (I have one too
Plenty of help here from wonderful people, don't hesitate to ask.
Have a look at my threads here
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=130205
And here
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...=130715&page=2
They may help.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:42 PM
Cazamoline (Caroline)

Thanks for all the warm welcomes.

I got the Dobsonian set up last night and managed to view the moon however it was quite blurry and I just could not get it to focus. Thankfully another user on IIS had the same problem and was advised to remove the 2" scope and to just have the 1.25" scope in. I did that this morning and was hoping to test it again tonight but we have cloud cover here

Malcolm - The telescope came with basic assembly instructions that have a part at the back on aligning your finder scope. I am yet to attempt it as I only tried collimating it -which by the way I nailed!

Brent - I've never heard of Stellarium but am in the process of downloading it now. That's one of the things I really wanted to view was the Orion Nebular so I can't wait to try and find it.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:10 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazamoline View Post
Thanks for all the warm welcomes.

I got the Dobsonian set up last night and managed to view the moon however it was quite blurry and I just could not get it to focus. Thankfully another user on IIS had the same problem and was advised to remove the 2" scope and to just have the 1.25" scope in. I did that this morning and was hoping to test it again tonight but we have cloud cover here

Malcolm - The telescope came with basic assembly instructions that have a part at the back on aligning your finder scope. I am yet to attempt it as I only tried collimating it -which by the way I nailed!

Brent - I've never heard of Stellarium but am in the process of downloading it now. That's one of the things I really wanted to view was the Orion Nebular so I can't wait to try and find it.
When you say "2" scope" do you mean the 2" eyepiece adaptor? Sounds like it is a Skywatcher scope which have a slightly odd system with their adaptors. I don't use one so am not 100% sure but I think it wont work if you have both adaptors in.

Cheers
Malcolm
Old 04-02-2015, 09:40 PM
Cazamoline (Caroline)

Yes I did mean the 2" eye piece adaptor.

Oops
Old 04-02-2015, 11:44 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazamoline View Post
Yes I did mean the 2" eye piece adaptor.

Oops
Thought so!
With aligning the finder, simply way is take it out in daylight, select a distant target (top of a tree, telephone pole or TV antenna are good).
Be VERY careful not to point it anywhere near the sun, in fact I used to do it under the shade of my veranda so I couldn't accidentally point it at the sun!
Then find your target in the main scope using your widest lowest power eyepiece, then use the screws on you finder to align the same thing and you are done!!

Well done on collimating also, it is something that intimidates many beginners, but once done a few times becomes very easy.

Also I meant to let you know with finding Jupiter, if it is clear it would be very easy tonight as it is just next to the moon!

Malcolm