Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-01-2015, 09:15 PM
Sconesbie (Scott)

Setting circles for Dobsonian.

Hi all. Me again.

I have 10" collapsible dob.

I don't have Goto or Argo Navis.

Is there something that I can put on my dob to assist with navigation? I saw something online that had a setting circle for the azimuth setting (360 deg) for the base and a 90 deg setting for the up and down part. Looked like a really good idea. This would certainly help in locating objects a lot easier instead of aiming in the general direction and thinking I'm on target.

I even thought about getting a measuring tape and marking 360 even marks on the base but not sure how accurate this you be.

Hope all that makes sense.
Old 27-01-2015, 09:46 PM
glend (Glen)

There are heaps of threads on seting circles here on IIS and on the US forum 'Cloudy Nights'. They include pdf files you can download and print locally for various size dobs. Learn to use the Search function on either site and you will find them.
Old 27-01-2015, 09:54 PM
Sconesbie (Scott)

Cool, thanks Glenn. I didn't search this site in depth but did a quick look. I'll check cloudy nights too.
Old 27-01-2015, 10:56 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
There are heaps of threads on seting circles here on IIS and on the US forum 'Cloudy Nights'. They include pdf files you can download and print locally for various size dobs. Learn to use the Search function on either site and you will find them.
That would probably be this thread
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...etting+circles

Scroll right through all the posts, there are a number of PDF files for different brand dobs.
I had one produced for a SW10"collapsible, that may suit you.

Take the pdf to a print shop and have them print it on A! paper.
Laminating it is also highly recommended
Old 27-01-2015, 11:45 PM
creeksky (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesbie View Post
Cool, thanks Glenn. I didn't search this site in depth but did a quick look. I'll check cloudy nights too.
I am trying to do this too, but finding it hard to find an azimuth print out for 8 inch Dob,
I could just use skyeye on scope as a goto,but want to learn charts and avoid electronics, net apps, wrecks night vision

Malcolms advice sounds true, sky charts , may even try by hand drawn ALT AZM.
Old fasioned compass protractor.Always wondered how to use a sextant to navigate by the stars!
Old 28-01-2015, 07:45 AM
glend (Glen)

Don't bother about Alt scales, its much easier to buy a small inclinometre off ebay ( maybe $30). They have a magnetic base and can stick to your dob tube and accurately give you the Alt angle. I think Bunnings has them as well ( a more complicated version).
Old 28-01-2015, 11:36 AM
geolindon (Lindon)

i've been considering the same issue and now i'm on the look out for an android tablet, see IIS discussion link below.

IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions Mobile phone finderscope mount - any good?
Old 29-01-2015, 11:54 AM
WynneP (Peter)

Dob setting circles

As mentioned previously, for alt scale, a magnetic digital inclinometer is the best. You can buy one from Bunnings, but these are professional tradesmens' tools at >$100. Alternatively, you can order online from the US. I sourced an small LED-lit inclinometer that works fine, for less than $30 delivered.
Old 29-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Sconesbie (Scott)

Awesome. Thank you. Just printed one for 10" and will take it to get blown up and laminated.

I like some of the images on the other link where the scale was placed on the bottom section of the dob base and and a piece cut out of the "turning section" so the scale can be read.

All I need to do now is get the altitude bit (easily done) set up and away I go.

As the other forum says: find a star with known alt/az and set scale to that direction. Also check alt and if ok, good to go.

Looking forward to getting it all done and putting it to the test. That will certainly make my viewing experience even better as I can now find things much easier instead of wondering where on earth (or space) things are.