Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-01-2015, 07:48 AM
Jemmo (Adrian)

These ones here look very similar to what I have except I have 3 eye pieces instead of two
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image.jpg)
73.8 KB19 views
Old 14-01-2015, 07:50 AM
Jemmo (Adrian)

Are these ones ok for a while. I'm only a younger guy so don't have a huge amount of money. But bang for buck are they good
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image.jpg)
133.4 KB17 views
Old 14-01-2015, 09:54 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Celestron eps won't be bad. However I wouldn't jump into a 6 ep set, esp if you see it as a stop-gap. I'd form a plan as to what I wanted my ep set to look like then prowl the IIS classifieds. There is, for example, a nice 9mm TMB clone going now. Second hand gear in good condition is normally 2/3 to 3/4 of the new price, so the accumulated savings can be considerable.
Old 14-01-2015, 09:59 AM
Jemmo (Adrian)

David I was just reading more about that set I put up and realized I dont really need that many I might just get 2 or 3 to start with and yeah great idea I got the dob off this page so I will look for some eps too. Since I'm a total noob could someone tell me good brands to look out for and just say I'm going to buy 2 or 3. What sizes should I go for
Old 14-01-2015, 12:18 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

My friend's 50mm guide scope with SSAG picked up jupiter (with cloud bands) and the moons the other night.
I think a 75mm Newtonian would be fine and would replicate that at least.
The focus does sound to be off - which could easily be caused by too long a light train using an erecting prism etc.
Old 14-01-2015, 02:58 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
are you sure you were looking at Jupiter? It doesn't rise until around midnight, and would not be high enough in the sky to be reasonably well viewed until around 1.30-2.00am.
Huh?

According to SkySafari, Jupiter rises at 8:17 pm in Brisbane tonight (14 January - 9:08 pm or so for the Southern states), and transits at 1:49 am in Brisbane (2:49 in Southern states), so definitely viewable in the mid-late evening.
Old 14-01-2015, 03:33 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemmo View Post
David I was just reading more about that set I put up and realized I dont really need that many I might just get 2 or 3 to start with and yeah great idea I got the dob off this page so I will look for some eps too. Since I'm a total noob could someone tell me good brands to look out for and just say I'm going to buy 2 or 3. What sizes should I go for
I suggest you start with the two eyepieces you have before buying ANY new ones.

You've probably got something like a 25 mm (low power), and a 10 mm (medium-high power), or something similar. They won't be great eyepieces, but they should complement the telescope reasonably well. (There's not a lot of point in buying $200 eyepieces to use with a $100 telescope.) The existing eyepieces should allow you to get reasonable views of the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn, etc. The low power eyepiece will probably be "easier" to use (more eye relief, bigger exit pupil, etc), so I suggest you use that one first. (You'll probably find that it's the eyepiece you use most of the time anyway.) The 10 mm may give a dim view under even good viewing conditions, and you will probably find that you need to place your eye "just so" (absolutely on-axis, and very close to the eyepiece) to get a good view.

If you're struggling to get a clear view of Jupiter at night, you might find it easier to experiment in daylight hours, targeting a distant feature, such as a building or tree on the horizon. It's generally a LOT easier to work out which way to adjust the focus and so on in daylight, when you can see what you're doing properly. (And you don't need to wait for a cloud-free night, or for the target to get high enough in the sky!) If you can't get a decent image in the daytime, there is something very wrong with your telescope and / or eyepieces, and it won't perform at night.

Once you get a good view with the low power eyepiece, try the high power on its own, then maybe a Barlow with the low power, and finally a Barlow with the high power. You will almost certainly need to refocus a bit each time you change the eyepiece set-up. Chances are that if seeing conditions are good, you will get an "OK" view with the high power eyepiece on its own, but it will look pretty ordinary if you try to use the Barlow and high power eyepiece together under any but the every best seeing conditions. Any combinations that won't yield a good image in the daytime are probably not going to be much use at night.

When you're ready to try Jupiter again at night, start with the low power eyepiece, and don't use any of the Barlows or erect-image accessories. Bring it to focus, and you should be able to clearly make out the disc of Jupiter. With a small telescope and low power eyepiece, it might initially look like a small yellowy-white disc with no obvious bands, but it should be well-defined, and you're making some progress. You should also be able to see several of the moons (up to 4) as points of light - they look like stars, except that they're in a row, and pretty obviously associated with Jupiter rather than being random background stars.

If the image is reasonably stable with the 25 mm, try the 10 mm - it will be quite a bit dimmer, but you should be able to see a bit more colouration and detail. If the image in the 25 mm is shimmering and wobbling all the time, it will just look worse as you increase the magnification, so you're probably better off giving up on the planets for that night, and try looking at some of the bigger targets that are best seen at low power / wide angle, like the Great Orion Nebula.

Hope this helps!
Old 14-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Jemmo (Adrian)

Very helpful Julian it's going to be cloudy for a week now lol but I'll try again when it gets better.
If I was only going to use the newt scope I wouldn't bother with different eye pieces. But I'm picking up a 10" dob on sat that comes with no lenses so I want to get 2 decent ones for it instead of the cheap ones I have now
Old 14-01-2015, 04:11 PM
raymo

Sorry about my poor old brain's stuff up.
raymo
Old 14-01-2015, 04:26 PM
Jemmo (Adrian)

Very helpful Julian it's going to be cloudy for a week now lol but I'll try again when it gets better.
If I was only going to use the newt scope I wouldn't bother with different eye pieces. But I'm picking up a 10" dob on sat that comes with no lenses so I want to get 2 decent ones for it instead of the cheap ones I have now
Old 14-01-2015, 08:07 PM
Jemmo (Adrian)

I was just playing round with my newt and put the collimating laser in it just to check. And the main sight mirror is out a bit I only collimated it last week but maybe that has something to do with not a great picture of Jupiter the other night
Old 14-01-2015, 08:50 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemmo View Post
I was just playing round with my newt and put the collimating laser in it just to check. And the main sight mirror is out a bit I only collimated it last week but maybe that has something to do with not a great picture of Jupiter the other night
Definitely not. If you are seeing a black spot in the middle of a disc, it is definitely a focus issue.

Malcolm
Old 14-01-2015, 08:54 PM
Jemmo (Adrian)

I did manage to lose the dot and I just got a orange dot.
I'm guessing it being windy and out of collimation wouldn't of helped