Old 21-04-2018, 09:34 AM
Scorpius (Dave)

Talking Old Member Returns

Hi. I originally joined IIS back in 2006, when I took up the hobby after a somewhat traumatic year of 2005, when I went through 3 major craniotomies, where they removed my brain put in a metallic one then removed it as they realised my old brain was much better (Joking).
But seriously yeah, It was a horror year at the local hospital (see My Story**) To prove to myself above anything I was not really round the bend, I decided to look upwards and decided my eyes needed some assistance so built my first scope, an 8" dob as an el cheapo EBay 3" I bought, even had trouble seeing the moon!

Since then life has continued to be a bit rough at times, something was obvious wrong way back in 1989 when they took out a huge tumour from between the frontal lobes. I was only 54 at the time and ended up on Disability Support Pension. But I never gave up (**)

I have been absent for some time and see a lot of new faces on the forum and not too many of the old crew, something I have noticed recently I appear to be surviving somewhat longer than my old colleagues.

Anyway, this is to invite everyone to visit my web site "The Smithdale Pages" which is a sort of rehab blog about how to keep yourself occupied for some 30 years of disability. My Astro page is small, but has some engineering mods I have done and comparison photos of the Moon from a single shot to a small registax print only using a few frames which shows a great improvement.

I also like using film still and managed to get hold of a mint condition Canon 1nS Film cam from Japan.

My blog is now on my own server at http://dsmithdale.net/ You are very welcome to contact me on any thing you see either by the info given on site or by PM on this forum.

Have a great day - Clears skies
Dave
Old 21-04-2018, 09:43 AM
JA

Good on you Dave. Welcome to (back to) the forum. I'll check your link, thx.

EDIT: I just checked : SCRATCH Built !!! Great Job/s

Best
JA
Old 21-04-2018, 11:01 AM
PCH (Paul)

Hey Dave,

Welcome back mate, - and wow, what a story that is! I read it from start to finish.

You're very special mate, you've come thru a lot.

Just one thing remains to be done... And that is....

Put Wordpress on your site buddy! It's totally free and will enhance the look and feel of your website enormously. Plus it will make future updates much easier

I wish you all the best for continued good health and happiness, - if anyone deserves it mate, you do
Old 22-04-2018, 12:14 AM
Scorpius (Dave)

Word Press

Thanks Paul, It scares me at times to read it again. But we are are still here! Mind many bits appear to be failing in recent times.

My son put Word Press on my server, but to be honest I just could not make out Head nor Tail of what it does, how it does it etc. I have never used Web Page Makers. All my web stuff was written up in Notepad, though now I use Notepad ++
I deleted WP from the server ages ago. My web was on the TPG site and over the years it got corrupted in places so I transferred it back home and my son set up an HP Proliant Server Box and I have been in the process of repairing my pages in Notepad ++

I have just downloaded WordPress again, but for the life of me I just cannot see what one is supposed to do with all those PNP files. There does not appear to be any "Help" files or any guidance as to what you are supposed to do with it.
Probby why I avoided "Make yourself a web Page apps" in the first place.

I have written programs for Commodore and the TRS80 (edit assembly) and wrote many W. Australia airports for Flight sim 95/98 etc in FASM and Beos Graphic Language.(BGL) Including a completely new and very accurate Learmonth which included the Tower Zero at NW Cape which was accurate to 1 metre. I was a member of OZPACK FS creation team. I still have all my files on Floppy Disks massive storage of 1.44m wow...

On second thoughts I think I will stick to my Notepad++ having read this https://smartblogger.com/wordpress-hosting/

Cheers Dave

Last edited by Scorpius; 22-04-2018 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Change of mind :)