Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-04-2018, 07:37 AM
Stonius (Markus)

HA Rey Constellations a big improvement

For those who, like me have trouble remembering what is supposed to connect to what (lets face it, very few of these constellations really look anything like what they are supposed to represent), can I suggest changing to HA Rey style constellations? Re-concocted in the 30's it's an attempt to make those pesky stick figures actually live up to their namesakes, and I have to say he's been pretty successful for the most part. Argo Navis looks like a ship, Canis Major looks like a dog, Lepus looks like a bunny, Leo looks like a lion.

Since they're arbitrary anyway I think I prefer to think of the constellations his way.

In Ciel, go to Configuration/Display/Lines and click on the navigation box next to 'constellation figures file name'. In the same folder is a file called 'ReyConstL'.

In Stellarium go to View/starlore and in the left navigation panel find Western (HA Rey) at the very bottom and make it default.

Hope that helps others. I find them much easier to remember this way.

Cheers

Markus