ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-08-2016, 09:53 AM
Jocksquin (Ron)

50mm findersope rings

Looking for a set of rings and mount for a Skywatcher/Bintel 50mm right finderscope(short version) which I am converting to a guidescope.

If anyone can help,please PM me

Rgds
Ron
Old 16-08-2016, 10:22 AM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

What is the FL of your imaging scope Ron?
If you are imaging around 700mm, then the existing Vixen holder will be just fine. If you want a bit of extra rigidity, you can cut a small "ring" of rubber band from a bike inner tube and stretch it over the scope before sliding the lot into the Vixen ring. Very snug!
This is my setup http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=147882
Cheer
Bo
Old 16-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Jocksquin (Ron)

Hi Bo,
glad to see you sold your Powermate(I was the low bidder).
I have bought a new Explore Scientific 5x tele extender and might be regretting it - don"t know yet and am in discussion with Astroshop. I have imperfections/dust specs INSIDE the elements of the unit that are clearly visible to the naked eye so don't know if it is affecting the optics/astropics. Don't think it should be there anyway.
Still,I'm learning and don't know much and will wait for Steve Massey to get back to me.

As for your finder/guider setup,it looks pretty good. I will mount my guider on an 8" Newt,focal length I think 1000mm.(so plenty of room). I was also hoping to get the guider to fit a 102/500 travel scope on a Star Discovery goto mount but that might be expecting too much.
I was aware of the setup in your pics but was thinking I needed a more secure mounting and alignment method for the guider as i find those little twiddly knobs on the standard finder/guider ring don't hold alignment too well. Just a slight touch is all it takes to bugger the alignment.
Still,I have all the bits that you have used incl 2 straight thru finders and a right angle finder - all with brackets.Just need the "twin" base mount.
I will mod the short right angle finder with a camera adapter/helical focuser bought from astroshop and convert one of the straight finders back into a right angle guider - can do it the other way but apparently the Prostar guide camera I have won't come to focus when I fit the adapter/helical focuser unit on the back of a standard straight 50mm finderscope.
So,good to know I can get a mount bracket to hold "twin" guider size scopes off the shelf but would like your comments on firmly holding alignment of guide scope with those twiddly knobs(maybe that is the rubber band thing??

Rgds
Ron
Old 17-08-2016, 10:51 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

http://www.astroshop.com.au/products...sp?id=MAS-017F

I bought the last one in stock, but they should be back soon.
Old 17-08-2016, 11:52 AM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Ron, I am sure Steve will sort the barlow issue out for you.
If you are imaging at 1000mm (if your 8" is f/5), then maybe off axis guider set up may be the way to go, a bit tricky to set up (for me anyway) but once set, it works.
My setup is not as rigid as a proper guidescope with rings, but work 99% of the time. There is no danger of guidescope moving unless I bump it or cable snag.
My guidescope is a modified stock 8x50 straight through finder. I unscrewed the rear "eyepiece" and adapter, grind off the inside of the tube OTA, then pushed a 2"-1.25" self centring adapter into it with some silicone. Rough focus is achieve through moving the QHY guider in and out of the adapter and fine focus done by adjusting the front objective and the locking ring. Once done, they are all locked in and you are all set.
Lewis's suggestion is another way to go, better, but cost a few more dollars.
Bo
Old 17-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Jocksquin (Ron)

Thanks Bo and Lewis...,

The item Lewis purchased is what I want to end up with. It is a finder with the helical focuser fitted in a good set of rings. I have all the parts to make it (at a good price) except the rings and Mount. I am hoping for a second hand set of rings and was too late for a couple of sets in the classifieds. Don't want to buy them new if possible. If I can't get them,I am open to Bo's solution which looks good.
Still got some time yet as still away on hols.
Rgds
Ron