Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy > Observation Reports
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

a most enjoyable mellow night

Hi all I have been aggressively logging the Herschel 400 for the last 5 months and I have gotten to the point where there aren't any more in the sky right now!

Last night I took out the 8' and just slowed down to really look at a few goodies.

First up was NGC 5128, aka 'the hamburger'. Always before the central dark region was there but not really out standing. Last night I put in my new U.O. 6mm Ortho and there it was a big juicy hamburger with 2 stars in the top of the bun (using a reflector) for relish.

Next I swung over to the Sombrero galaxy and it was the same difference when I put in the 6mm. Suddenly it looked like a sombrero with a bright central core and just enough detail to give me a bit of aperture fever.

I have always had a slightly dark side so of course the Coal Sack was included in my mellow night. That is one big dust bunny.

Finally as I was just sweeping the southern sky and getting lost in all the stars I came upon NGC 5286. A nice big fuzzy ball at 40x which resolved into
a very nice cluster at @200x.

The special treat of the night was to use the 6mm on Omega Cent. I put it just at the side of the fov and let it drift through the ep. When one pass was complete I would swing back, move the scope down, and do it all again. Took 5 passes to see it all. Certainly allowed me to appreciate the immensity of that beast.

Great skies, beautiful objects, hot coffee, no mosquitoes, and all from my back yard. For me, that's about as good as it gets.
Brian
Old 15-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

sorry about the finger malfunction that should read 8" not 8'
B
Old 15-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Lismore Bloke (Paul)
Ad astra per aspera

Sounds like you had a good evening Brian. I love using the 7mm Nagler on bright globulars. Omega Cen and NGC 104 (47 Tuc) especially take on a stunning 3 dimensional aspect. Don't miss 6093 (M80) Scorpius and later on, when it is higher up, Ophiuchus is littered with globulars. Good luck with the rest of the Herschel 400.
Old 15-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

Thanks Paul, with 78 to go I am hopeful that it is just a matter of time and excellent nights. Although if there are any tougher than NGC 2371 and 2372 I could be in trouble.
Regrettably 47 Tuc is below my horizon.
Brian
Old 17-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Sounds a good night Brian. I find that there is a lot of joy in a mellow night with no particular list and getting lost in a few favourites.