Old 08-12-2015, 07:11 AM
kon1966 (Kon)

Diagonal spacing

Hi guys,
have 8se and always use a 6.3 reducer with a standard 2 inch diagonal. When I image with my 1100d, I cannot reach focus with my 2 inch so need to use my 1.25 diagonal. I do not use straight through as you want to be comfortable.

I want to remove the front tube on the 2inch diagonal and use a shorter tube to reach focus with the camera. Is there anything available.

Regards
Kon
Old 08-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Kon, Celestron make a T-adapter for the C8 that should give the correct back focus distance... http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop...ain-telescopes

I'd suggest you connect your 1100D to a computer and use EOS utility (that came with your camera) or another tool such as Astrophotography Tool (APT) or Backyard EOS to get around the neck bending problem.

Just a heads-up though, due to field rotation with an alt-azimuth mount you will only be able to take relatively short exposures...unless you're using a wedge, or put your C8 tube on an equatorial mount.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:43 AM
kon1966 (Kon)

Spacing

Thanks Dunk, already have tried and have the adapter and software. I tend to keep the equipment minimal. All I use is the telescope, starsense camera, 1100d camera and android tablet with full version of skysafaripro full version.

Regards
Kon
Old 09-12-2015, 07:45 AM
glend (Glen)

As someone with issues with vertigo I have been through trying to find a solution that does not require neck/head gymnastics to see a dslr screen. I moved to full BYEOS control and can sit in my observatory chair now and manage the camera. Forget the diagonal would be my advice, just set it up straight through (less weight than a diagonal as well). Works well for any rear mounted camera, or top/side mounted newt focuser.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:36 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Using an SCT diagonal rather than the standard 2" version will reduce the backfocus.....
I use the old Meade SCT flip mirrors rather than diagonals - gives me more options.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:08 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Yeah a 2" diagonal eats up a lot of back focus.

You might also find that you need to rack the focuser from one extreme to the other to find the focal point.