ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2014, 01:31 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometcatcher View Post
That last Moon episode was... well totally stupid, even for science fiction.

But it would be nice to blow it up, or at least push it a bit further away.
Which raises the question of which show was stupider,
Dr. Who's "Kill The Moon" or
Space 1999, where the whole moon went flying off into interstellar space without any difficulty, after some nuclear stuff blew up on it.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 08-10-2014, 07:38 AM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Cynics.... Of course the idea of the moon being an egg is ridiculous but all Dr. Who plots are. You have to look at the conundrum.... and that was well done.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:39 AM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato1 View Post
Yes I'm finding Clara extremely annoying - I think she votes Green.
Cheers,
Renato
Spoken like a true Dalek.....
Old 08-10-2014, 08:29 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Actually yeas, the inside a Dalek ep was one of the better ones, hinted at something much darker, but they seem to have hurriedly backed away from that.

I liked Clara in the previous season but she does not seem to work with the new Dr. The whole thing seems to lack cohesion, you are not sure if he is going to act like a petulant teenager or a cold hearted mongrel, I live in hope that they will pull it together.

I baulked at the moon gaining mass too, was hard to suspend disbelief on that one, but then this is probably the wrong forum for that to fly :-b
Old 08-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

I think the new Doctor is quite good, it was always hinted at the he was not going to be Mister Nice Guy.

I think the real problems are the crap scripts and that stupid companion Clara and the other 2. Have never been been a Clara fan. Bring back Donna Noble.

And Danny Pink...give me a break.....
Old 08-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Actually yeas, the inside a Dalek ep was one of the better ones, hinted at something much darker, but they seem to have hurriedly backed away from that.

I liked Clara in the previous season but she does not seem to work with the new Dr. The whole thing seems to lack cohesion, you are not sure if he is going to act like a petulant teenager or a cold hearted mongrel, I live in hope that they will pull it together.
:-b
You're right - he did seem much darker, and I was hopeful of something interesting developing to.

Time will tell.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 08-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post

I think the real problems are the crap scripts and that stupid companion Clara and the other 2. Have never been been a Clara fan. Bring back Donna Noble.
I agree. And Donna Noble who I was unsure about at first turned out to be a real class act, with ultra-strong scripts and an ultra-memorable exit.
Regards,
Renato
Old 08-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

I suppose it's the old case of "if you don't like it, don't watch it" no-ones forcing anyone.

I can't stand Big Brother, so it doesn't mean I'm going to watch it so I can complain about it later.

I've got better things to do with my life.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:20 PM
leon

I am amazed that so many people actually watch this stuff, I struggle to find a decent show to watch occasionally with all the rubbish that is broadcast as entertainment.

Leon
Old 08-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I suppose it's the old case of "if you don't like it, don't watch it" no-ones forcing anyone.

I can't stand Big Brother, so it doesn't mean I'm going to watch it so I can complain about it later.

I've got better things to do with my life.
Your Big Brother example has no applicability to this discussion.

Fans and watchers of a show are perfectly entitled to express disappointment when the perception of many is that the show isn't currently up to it's old high standard of quality.
Regards,
Renato
Old 08-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
I am amazed that so many people actually watch this stuff, I struggle to find a decent show to watch occasionally with all the rubbish that is broadcast as entertainment.

Leon
Dr. Who is the only program I watch on free-to-air TV, where the choice is between commercial riddled commercial stations which destroy continuity, or the very left of centre government stations trying to choke social agendas down my throat, coupled with their Abbott-Is-Evil agenda.

Much better is Foxtel, especially SkyNews, where they let conservatives and lefties verbally bash each other over issues on an ongoing basis. Also, Foxtel is now the home of all BBC entertainment programming apart from Dr. Who. Curious how the BBC dumped the ABC after a relationship of many decades.
Regards,
Renato
Old 15-10-2014, 03:09 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Doctor Who Gets Better.

I must say that last Sunday's Dr. Who about the train in space with the invisible mummy, was a distinct improvement on previous episodes.
Regards,
Renato
Old 15-10-2014, 11:30 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

I agree Renato. That one was worth watching, even if it was with a train in space.
Old 16-10-2014, 10:12 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Again, showing a darker character too. It was no "blink" but not bad.
Old 16-10-2014, 10:38 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

We need the weeping angels back to scare the daylights out of everyone.
Old 17-10-2014, 03:32 AM
sn1987a (Barry)

Bring back Sutekh, let him kill Sarah Jane and then unleash the Doctor.
Old 17-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

I thought we were going to see Clara moving on, but no, she had a "bit of a wobble" and Danny is OK with her hanging out with the Doc.

Definitely a better episode, but still to much "banter".
Old 17-10-2014, 09:30 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato1 View Post
Foxtel is now the home of all BBC entertainment programming apart from Dr. Who. Curious how the BBC dumped the ABC after a relationship of many decades.
Regards,
Renato
probably got more money from Foxtel - I guess that Foxtel realised that the best quality entertainment comes from public service media organisations, rather than the commercial drivel. If there is anything that people want to watch, Foxtel will buy it.

Thankfully we still get Dr Who on our ABC, even if it is taking a bit of time for the writers to come to terms with a rather geriatric doctor. Hopefully they will eventually make the most of their excellent cast - after all they managed to get some exceptional work out of David Tennant, who seems to have drifted back into relative obscurity. We really need R.T. Davies back at the helm, but I guess that won't happen.
Old 17-10-2014, 10:27 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
We need the weeping angels back to scare the daylights out of everyone.
I reckon not myself. You would not want them to over use them and spoil the menace they had in the couple of stories they have been in.

I think they are a much better to use as a threat now than actually putting them in a new ep. How many people were expecting them to be what popped out form under the dropsheets in "Day of the Doctor"?
Old 17-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Again, showing a darker character too. It was no "blink" but not bad.
It is interesting to compare the train/mummy episode to the "Mark of the Rani" episode with the sixth Doctor currently on ABC I-view.

In the train/mummy episode, the Doctor is concerned about the impending deaths but can't get empathetic or emotional, else he won't solve the problem and save others. And there is real menace behind the unknown powerful psychopath controlling the train. In the end, a fairly moral show.

In the Rani episode, the Doctor seems pretty indifferent or detached to the fate of the half dozen or more villagers who wind up getting killed by the Master and the Rani - sort of like they are all minor characters in the script, so don't matter. And there is no great menace surrounding the two psychopath Time Lords - you know that when the Doctor has the drop on them, he won't do them in, so that they will be free to continue on their psychopathic killing sprees in later episodes. An amoral show?
Regards,
Renato