ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-07-2014, 03:56 PM
speach (Simon)

Get the cheapest of the size you want, they all fail just some quicker then the other. So if you say spend $300 and it lasts 5 years, or pay $700 and it lasts 12 years with the dear one your $20 in front but and its a big but your tv has 7 year older technology.
Old 13-07-2014, 05:01 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by speach View Post
Get the cheapest of the size you want, they all fail just some quicker then the other. So if you say spend $300 and it lasts 5 years, or pay $700 and it lasts 12 years with the dear one your $20 in front but and its a big but your tv has 7 year older technology.
Doing it your way will only lead to ' buyer's regret ' . . . because going cheap will lead to ... poor colour balance / average contrast / inferior screen / low audio quality / less inputs / and usually a ' garden variety ' Brand.

I'd rather buy ' Top Shelf ' with good warranty on both Parts and Labour... then be happy with my purchase from day 1.

Sony and Samsung are both in the running .......

Thanks for your input.

Col . . . . . .
Old 03-09-2014, 11:04 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Well .... finally bought a new ' TV ' ... looked at all decent Brands available... and walked out with a .....

Samsung 50'' 4K Ultra HD LED Smart TV ...
4 x HDMI
3 x USB Ports .... 1 of which is USB3
1 x Optical Input .... running my Bose Theater System through this input.
1 x Component Input
....and other various RCA connectors.
1 x Ethernet Port and on board Wi-Fi

According to the Hi-Fi experts ( Digital Guru's ) we are behind Japan who are running 8K Visual Devices and even have .... get this....start of the art 21k Cameras for Motion Picture Capturing......we will eventually catch up but as always we lag behind as it ' trickles ' on to our shelves in AU.

In about 1 to 2 years no one will find a ' Full HD ' TV on the shelves of the likes of Harvey Norman / Good guy's / or other Electronic Business......it will all be ' ULTRA HD 4k ' or better..... you can see the Ultra HD's on sale now....I'm sure you have seen them .... I'm very very happy with my purchase.

Watching ' Time Lapse ' content on the Ultra HD Screen is just beautiful....especially Astronomy related videos .... I have a lot of ' Vimeo ' HD Videos which are outstanding on this type of TV.

I'm sure other members here who have a Ultra 4K TV will testify to the outstanding quality they produce....and prices are starting to fall also.

Highly Recommend this type of TV.

Flash......

Last edited by FlashDrive; 04-09-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:47 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Good call. We've got a 5 year old Sony 46" Bravia which is still quite brilliant but Samsung looks to be our upgrade path. Features and performance wise. Thanks for the info and report on your buy.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Very nice!

My 2c, I recently moved out of home and needed a cheap TV (but still something that works well). I ended up getting a Dick Smith 55" full HD TV for only $650 which includes 3 years in-home replacement warranty. Comes with a tuner, 4 HDMIs and USB input too. Not a smart TV but the image quality is excellent and especially for the price, cant go wrong. Great for anyone looking for a no-frills large TV
Old 04-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Poita (Peter)

I run a 1080P projector, we run it about 3m wide, (about 135" diagonal) I couldn't go back to a TV again.

My daughter came home from a friend's house who just bought a new 80" television. I asked her what she thought of it...

"It was okay, but the screen was pretty small"

Find someone to calibrate the screen properly if you want to get the most out of it.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Poita (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive milne View Post
Are these screens a realistic option for use as a computer monitor for image processing?

Regards
c
I run a 4K 39" screen for programming and for image processing, but mainly for cleanup work, the current 4K sets aren't great as far as colour uniformity and reproduction goes, and they don't calibrate all that well.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:42 PM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Haha! Yes we got a projector in the main living room and agreed, once you go projector it's tough to go TV. Only caveat is that it's difficult to view during daylight
Old 05-09-2014, 10:16 AM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

Two things that are probably the most important are refresh rate and contrast ratio. the higher the better. Low refresh rate and the image will stutter when it pans and a low contrast will give you bad dynamic range from white to black and can result in the the transition between shades looking blocky and pixelated.

If your screen has poor colour rendition you will filter it out and not notice after a will but artifacts due to refresh and low contrast ratio is something you will notice every time the image pans or there is a scene that is dark on the screen.

The lower end screens will have a 50/60hz refresh the higher end will have 200hz.
Lower end contrast ratio can be as low as 4000:1 higher end can have 30,000,000:1

Cheers.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:19 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
Two things that are probably the most important are refresh rate and contrast ratio.

The lower end screens will have a 50/60hz refresh the higher end will have 200hz.
Lower end contrast ratio can be as low as 4000:1 higher end can have 30,000,000:1

Cheers.
Well I have to say my new TV is way in front of your suggested specs...

Mine has a ' refresh rate ' of 1,000hz...

see here for a short description ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN1lyudt7os

I just read the Manual that came with my TV .... and under the ' Spec's ' it says ' diagonal measurements is 55'' inches ..... not 50'' inches as advertized where I bought it..... woohoo

Flash......

Last edited by FlashDrive; 05-09-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:51 PM
gary

Hi Col,

If you invoke the YouTube app on the set so that it will render at the
highest resolution available, this BASE jump video from the Burj Khalifa
skyscraper in Dubai streams in Ultra HD 2160p which is breathtaking to watch :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD4qsWnjsNU

This short video shot in Costa Rica using 4K at 60fps is also a nice one
to show visitors :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNJdPyoqt8U
Old 05-09-2014, 04:40 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Just had a look at those 2 clips.......Spectacular ..... just....Awesome on the 4K Screen.

Thanks for the links.

Col.....
Old 05-09-2014, 04:56 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Watch this one on the Ultra HD .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yid59_nd9-8

Col........
Old 05-09-2014, 08:06 PM
bobson (Bob)

What do you guys think about Hisense and TCL brands for Ultra HD? They are half price of Samsung and the rest.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:09 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Bob ... I don't know those brands very well....I've seen them in the shops....but in the years I have had ' electronic ' devices.... years back Sony had a huge following and so did Panasonic ( Holden v Ford )...then along came Samsung / LG / both of which have a decent market share now.

Some say Samsung has taken the lead now from Sony....very true in the Mobile Phone Market....as for TV's ... Samsung , Sony and LG , all these 3 brands are well regarded by most Consumers.

That's not to say other lower priced units don't make the grade....it all comes down to the ' Spec's ' of the item your buying.....inputs / connectivity .. eg . wi-fi / size of Screen / refresh rates / and of course the ' Brand ' you feel comfortable buying.

If you have one of the TV's your talking about , and your happy.... that's what counts.

I chose the Samsung Ultra HD over the Sony ... purely from reputation / recommendation from other people / and I liked what I saw ... and of course I got a decent salesman who gave a very impressive
demonstration of the 4K over just ' full HD ' .

Last night I downloaded a heap of Ultra 4k Videos ... some up to an hour long .... straight from ' YouTube ' ... which I played on my new TV....and I was absolutely amazed at the ' clarity and crispness ' .

Just a few ' shot's ' of my purchase......doesn't do justice in these ... but you get the idea..

Col
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (P1014338.jpg)
98.4 KB14 views
Click for full-size image (P1014339.jpg)
100.0 KB12 views
Click for full-size image (P1014340.jpg)
87.9 KB11 views
Click for full-size image (P1014341.jpg)
115.4 KB10 views
Click for full-size image (P1014347.JPG)
120.7 KB11 views
Click for full-size image (P1014348.JPG)
142.0 KB10 views
Click for full-size image (P1014353.jpg)
138.3 KB12 views
Click for full-size image (P1014377.JPG)
164.5 KB10 views

Last edited by FlashDrive; 06-09-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:07 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Hey Col,

Can I come over to your house and watch YouTube?

Sorry, just doesn't have the same ring to it to excite me.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:19 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgerdes View Post
Hey Col,

Can I come over to your house and watch YouTube?

Sorry, just doesn't have the same ring to it to excite me.
... I saved these ' clips ' to my Hard Drive which is connected via USB to the TV.....I then ' watched ' them as ' stand alone ' clips off the Hard Drive .

The ' clips ' still retained all the 4K Qualities as I viewed them..... btw...the pic's below are from ' time lapse ' videos taken as they were played ... just brilliant at 1,000hz refresh rate.

Col........

Last edited by FlashDrive; 09-09-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:48 AM
bobson (Bob)

Thanks Col, your TV looks impressive mate. To be honest I didnt even know they can have 1000hz refresh rate. I thought 200hz is high end. After reading this it makes more sense to buy smaller screen 50-55" with better specs than 65" with lower specs for the same money.

cheers