Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2019, 02:35 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Thinkin' about quitting...

I'm not getting much use out of my equipment these days. My last image was 2 months ago; and that was 2 months after the one before that. Got a few in September, but that was after a 4 month hiatus.

The forecast had been looking good for tonight and tomorrow night, but once again has changed for the worse. Soon winter will be here and with it the fog that rolls in from about 9pm.

Looking back at the 5yrs, 7months I've been into this hobby (which I have enjoyed greatly for the most part), I've averaged about 1 "keeper" image every 2.5 months.

Thing is, I'm getting to the point where I don't really miss it any more...

I could just put all my equipment in storage and wait until I catch the bug again, but I'd estimate there's about 20k worth of equipment there... I could sell most of it off and put it towards other endeavours, maybe get back into "normal" photography. It's a lot of money to leave in storage for a 37yo with a mortgage. I don't mind spending some money, but I need to be getting value out of it...

If I do sell the gear off it'll be at a loss... most of it was purchased new from overseas; it's not like I purchased it second-hand here and I could sell it with minimal loss. If I did want to get back into the hobby it'd be pretty much impossible to convince the wife to let me buy another Mach 1.

I had thought maybe there's a compromise; sell my current gear and get a D810a and chuck it on Star Adventurer or similar for super wide-field stuff but it doesn't look like there's any filters that could be used to make the D810a suitable for daylight photography. Anyone have any suggestions on that front?
Old 09-03-2019, 03:42 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Hi Lee,

Once or twice similar thoughts crossed my mind recently, so I think I understand how you feel. I thought of going totally visual, as well is selling all gear and putting funds towards an access to a remote site.

I think you could quickly get bored with imaging super wide fields, but I might be wrong. If it is really only the lack of clear nights that is getting in the way, then two possible solutions would be hiring a spot for your rig in a remote observatory or paying for accessing remote telescopes with some top skies.

I'm truly sorry that you are not getting much use of your equipment, particularly after significant recent investments. It has been about 5 months since the last time I took the scope out - I accepted that imaging in NQ is only possible for about 4-5 months / year, so I got a tinny to keep myself busy during the wet and humid season
Old 09-03-2019, 03:54 PM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
I'm not getting much use out of my equipment these days. My last image was 2 months ago; and that was 2 months after the one before that. Got a few in September, but that was after a 4 month hiatus.

The forecast had been looking good for tonight and tomorrow night, but once again has changed for the worse. Soon winter will be here and with it the fog that rolls in from about 9pm.

Looking back at the 5yrs, 7months I've been into this hobby (which I have enjoyed greatly for the most part), I've averaged about 1 "keeper" image every 2.5 months.

Thing is, I'm getting to the point where I don't really miss it any more...

I could just put all my equipment in storage and wait until I catch the bug again, but I'd estimate there's about 20k worth of equipment there... I could sell most of it off and put it towards other endeavours, maybe get back into "normal" photography. It's a lot of money to leave in storage for a 37yo with a mortgage. I don't mind spending some money, but I need to be getting value out of it...

If I do sell the gear off it'll be at a loss... most of it was purchased new from overseas; it's not like I purchased it second-hand here and I could sell it with minimal loss. If I did want to get back into the hobby it'd be pretty much impossible to convince the wife to let me buy another Mach 1.

I had thought maybe there's a compromise; sell my current gear and get a D810a and chuck it on Star Adventurer or similar for super wide-field stuff but it doesn't look like there's any filters that could be used to make the D810a suitable for daylight photography. Anyone have any suggestions on that front?
Sorry to hear this Lee. We’ve been IIS members for about the same time I guess, tho not sure if we’ve spoken.

Perhaps I could help...I will personally mind all your equipment for you here and return it to you when you’re ready to get back into things. And to make sure it’s always in good condition I’ll ALSO regularly use your equipment.

All this for you my IIS buddy... FREE. OF. CHARGE.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:00 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Hi Lee,

Selling your gear, you will regret.
I live in a country with a much worse climate in the sense of both cloudiness and light pollution. Winters are much colder, not as bad as e.g. Russia or E Europe, but colder than the coldest places in Australia. And in summer it gets barely night due to the high latitude. Sometimes there is a 2-3 month interval between two astrophotos when at home.
I am in the lucky position I can make yearly trips to South Africa or Australia (I am in the latter right now) help me continuing this hobby, which I have been doing over 50 years. This allows me to see real dark skies and the southern skies.

Get a decent DSLR e.g. the Nikon Z6 which is lighter than its D750 predecessor, mirrorless and mounts all Nikon F mount lenses and a lightweight travel scope + mount or, what you say, a Star Adventurer which can carry a Nikon DSLR + 300mm lens.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:07 PM
glend (Glen)

Lee, been there mate, although my re-evaluation was brought on by health issues. In my case i realised there were other things I wanted to do, and having completed the Southern Hemisphere nebula imaging i was losing inspiration anyway.
I have sold off most of my scopes, kept just the CGX in the Obs, an my APO, if the inspiration returns. I do not regret selling my scopes, well maybe the MN190, briefly. With some of the money from selling scopes I am able to fund new hobbies.

There are plenty of potential interests/hobbies for a youngster like yourself.

Last edited by glend; 09-03-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:57 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Lee,

I recommend storing your gear away somewhere and spending some time on regular photography. If you want a new challenge, try imaging something really small, really close - try insect macro.

I'd be willing to bet you will want to come back to astro after giving it a complete break for a while.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:52 PM
Wavytone

Hi Lee, you’ve pretty much summed up why I do not do photography anymore - not enough time in dark skies to make it worthwhile. I do a bit of visual just for fun these days.

If you have kids it just gets worse until they’ve developed some independence - 10 years at least - by which time the electronics will be well and truly obsolete - if they work at all - and in this respect I’d suggest consider parting with the cameras.

A good mount and scope are worth keeping though if stored so they don’t grow fungus - as they don’t really become obsolete provided the electricals work.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:39 PM
JimsShed (Jim)

Sounds like you need a new direction in the hobby, or a new hobby. Regardless I’d suggest you start by selling some surplus bits that you just don’t use anymore, and consider going visual for a while (you must have at least one good eyepiece) as this will help you overcome the “output quota” mindset, then see how you feel.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:57 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Maybe cash it in and go for a smaller set up. A HEQ5 and a camera, even an 80mm triplet is not that much of an investment..run short subs unguided..make it more like fun rather than hard work.
And if its simple you can drag it out or put it on away with less effort and therefore less disappointment if the weather lets you down.
I have been doing widefields the last couple of days because the weather threatened clouds and moisture...but with the simple set up ( old mount with no dec just a ply plate to mount the camera) and low fl so polar align is not critical it has been fun. 30 second subs so no guiding, no lap top and pack up just put the camera away.
Tonight I set up the 80mm guiding lap top narrow band camera poper polar align with pole master and it was too moist to really do anything...lot of effort no result...so I wished I had gone the widefield tonight also...
You are a young person so give it a rest downsize to get the odd night out....but one keeper every two and a half months is good going really.
Alex
Old 10-03-2019, 01:13 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Act in haste repent at leisure
Old 10-03-2019, 10:20 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
That pretty much sums up my past year or so. When it isn't overcast, its a full moon, blowing a gale or so hot that the CCD can't reach anything below zero. Then there's the usual malaises that go with long gaps such equipment playing up, forgetting how to configure stuff, and so on.

I have not processed an image in almost 18 months now and that's another skill that is slipping away. Not that I ever had much of it to start with pf course.

I've decided to give this winter a final go and decide after that whether to persevere with this hobby. It's a shame but sometimes, you just have to say enough.

Peter
Old 10-03-2019, 10:32 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

Sorry to hear this Lee. For one, your thread on tilt in your newt got me to think about my setup and got me on the path to sorting it out. I was getting rubbish images before I followed that thread. Now, they are a bit less rubbish - but at least the tilt and coma artefacts are greatly reduced.

The pressures of mortgages etc do make it difficult to justify expensive hobbies. I'm lucky I'm of the age where mine is nearly done with.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:41 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Interests come and go. Don't sell anything in rush though. You never know, you might be missing it when it's gone. Hobbies are like life. The more diversified the better. Obssession is not good for one's mental health imho, whatever your drug is. But you have to admit looking up with a reclining chair and a pair of binoculars sipping on some port never gets old where ever you are.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:44 PM
Spartacus

Hi Lee,

Most of my enjoyment from this hobby has not been measured in keeper images, although it's great for all the "stars to align" so to speak. The most enjoyment has been from meeting technical challenges inherent in the hobby and the camaraderie from getting together with like minded people. You can still do this and have a great evening with no images but time spent sharing experiences and tips etc.
You don't live far from the Maleny Golf Club astronomers. They have a great dark site up there (plenty of power too) and although you still get the mist it's high enough that it is not a problem every night. Plenty of people of all sorts of abilities so lots of opportunities to share. Look them up on Facebook if you are interested. This can be a way of getting your mojo back.

Regards,

Mike
Old 10-03-2019, 02:37 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

You could always take a new direction as others have suggested. Why not get involved in variable star observations through the AAVSO, or even get into asteroid occultation measurements? Your gear could add a great deal of data to science.
As for the D810a I shoot one during the daylight and it doesn't need any filters. Some pros even prefer it for portraiture as it does give a slightly warmer cast to skin tones, but I'd challenge anyone to pick it unless they were looking for it. Happy to share heaps of daylight images with you if you need to be convinced.
cheers, and hope you hang around the hobby a bit longer.
Andrew.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:12 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Sorry I did manage something after my post last night so it was not a total loss.
The D810a (download in camera and avoid a lappy or desk top) an 80mm on an unguided heq5 simple but I would expect one would get satisfying results.
alex
Old 10-03-2019, 03:37 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

I think the longest I have gone, with consecutive clouded-out new moons, plus work commitments, was 18 months a few years back.

I recall sitting with the scope afterwards, reminding myself how it all worked.

It would be a rare person who doesn't go through what you are going through right now. The QLD weather of late may not be helping, either... My advice would be to stick with it, at least through the cooler months that are coming. Hopefully, the weather steadies for you (and me!), and you pick up that desire that you have presently misplaced.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:56 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

I've been able to do very little imaging since I got my new 183. But I accept that living in Mackay comes with long spells away from astro.

I've just taken on a mortgage here too so will have very little for any new astro gear. So I'm keeping everything and while cloudy get into cloud photography. If you can't beat em, join em.

Have I been missing astro? Yes and no. It's hard work. Rewarding though.

Take up another hobby but keep your gear. That's my advice, from a hoarder.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:07 PM
glend (Glen)

While it is great that so many folks want Lee to stick around, at 37 he is at an age when many folks do make some changes. Family, work, mortgage, and other commitments are all important, and mid-career decisions are often made in the late 30's to early 40s. It is, i believe, fairly common that men put aside some of the hobbies and distractions of younger years to dedicate themselves, and their time, to things that are just more important. It happened to me, and others I know well. This does not mean Lee's astronomy interest is gone forever, just sublimated by more important aspects for some time. Many of us have returned to astronomy in retirement, or picked up other interests which we could not explore (or afford) in more demanding times of our lives.
I think Lee deserves our support in making the decision which is right for his circumstances at this time.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:58 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

it was a clear evening night in melbourne but the smoke haze from the recent fires killed it