Old 11-11-2018, 04:04 PM
namtao (Trung)

Thanks Gents. This is more complicated than i was expecting, but it's a very worthwhile learning exercise. I will definitely doing some researchs on the local amateur astronomy group, and will try come along during the summer break.

From what i gathered, Dobs are the best bang-for-the-bucks if i don't mind the size. On the other hand, a similar size Mak-Cassegrain is more compact, but i will cost many times more than the dob.

Regarding using my balcony, if i can use it, that's a bonus, if not, no big deal, like i said, i'm happy to walk down the park - i actually prefer it there than at home.

I saw a TAL150 posted on gumtree yesterday - do you guys think it's worth having a look? He's about 20 mins drive from where I am.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:44 PM
netwolf

I think the TAL150K is a kind of maksutov the corector is in front of the secondary instead of behind.

Here is a review on them
https://www.cloudynights.com/article...the-mk-67-r805

I have seen them for less on Gumtree than what is being asked but condition can vary as they have been made in various time frames. For that Price a Skywatcher Maksutov 150 would be far better, there is one in the Classifieds section. If i had the money i would be buying that one to replace my C6.
There is also a 127 there and 180 any of these would be much better than the TAL150 imho. And then there is the EQ mount on that one with RA drive only, Equatorial mounts are not really something I would recommend for beginners. Alt/Az are far easier to deal with.

Here is an older version of the 4SE.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tura...ope/1200172404
Looks like a Star Discovery type with a 5" Mak this is a nice combo and you could likely change the OTA to a 6" but its in SA.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bank...ion/1200613723
Goto 8" dob good price.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/well...ian/1200494699

Last edited by netwolf; 11-11-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:54 AM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwolf View Post
Equatorial mounts are not really something I would recommend for beginners. Alt/Az are far easier to deal with.
The other problem is where Trung is. Melbourne metro. Light pollution and being able to see the necessary stars for alignment of an EQ.

Quote:
Here is an older version of the 4SE.
This one is intriguing to me.
Going by the photos, it looks as if the mount can work as a tabletop or tripod.

Quote:
Goto 8" dob good price.
This one is in Brisbane, so the freight costs to Melbourne where Trung is would not be nice.
Buying online from a local Brisbane astronomy shop, Trung could buy the same telescope new for $1431 which includes the shipping to Victoria.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:18 AM
netwolf

The goto dob looks like the same in in the Iceinspace classifieds here going by pictures.

If the existing owners have good packaging and easy and good option for interstate shipping is e-go there depo to depo option is quiet cheap. But you have to have it packed already. If no packaging then Pack and Send depot to depot. I recentloy paid 120 for CPC fork arms 17kg to from Melbourne to Sydney packed really well by sending Depot near Nare Waren. Previously I have sent a LX90 to QLD via P&S about 175. And alos had a LX90 picked up by Depot manager and shipped to me from South Australia.

For a beginner it maybe better to find local. the local so you can get previous owner to show its working etc. also local astronomy group is also a good place to ask.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:50 PM
namtao (Trung)

Thanks for your insights Netwolf, for used equipment, i would definitely stick with locals.
Old 16-12-2018, 08:34 PM
FredinBroome (Fred)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwolf View Post
Aus Geo are overpriced.

I live in regional WA and so everything needs to be freighted to me. Aus Geo don't charge freight on stock over $100 so everything I may purchase from their website is shipped free of charge. This means walk in customers are paying a premium for the shop's products as I see it as a freight component must be included. I find their telescopes way overpriced anyway. I got an new Saxon 200/1200 Dobsonian for $502 delivered off Ebay compared to their lofty price which you can go check yourself. Definitely pays to shop around