Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-07-2014, 09:43 PM
thunderchildobs

USB Hubs and USB to Serial Adpators Issues

I am running a Windows 7.1 laptop with Sky 6 pro connecting to an unmodified NEQ6.

Everything works fine when the USB to Serial Adaptor is plug directly into the laptop. TheSky connects via com 4.

I then added a generic Dick Smith 4 point USB hub to the same USB point on the laptop. After some messing around, the USB to Aerial Adpator was recogonised on 3 of the ports on the hub. It would not recogonised the adaptor in the 4th port which previously had a mouse attached to it. I could then connect using COM 10 to 12. TheSky then worked with Com 10 to Com 12.

After a few reboots, TheSKy can longer connect via the hub to Com 10 to 12. However, when the USB to Serial adaptor is plugged back into the orginal USB port on the laptop, TheSky connects to com4 and everything works. The hub has power light on.

Any suggestions?

Brendan
Old 13-07-2014, 10:55 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Brendan, you should label all the ports and cables so you can always plug each cable into the same port. Windows has this delightful habit of allocating a different COM port number every time it finds the same USB serial adapter in a new USB port.

I find the following works for me sorting out USB, but I stick clear of el cheapo hubs and serial converters.

Unplug all the USB devices except keyboard and mouse. Go into "Device Manager", tick the "Show hidden devices" option and delete all the COM ports that belong to USB devices and the USB serial controllers.

Reboot. Go back into Device Manager and "Scan for hardware changes".

Now plug in your hub and once that is recognised and drivers installed plug in the serial converter, let it be recognised and drivers installed, and finally connect the NEQ6.

Repeat the last few steps for your other devices.

Label all the cables and ports.
Old 14-07-2014, 08:29 PM
thunderchildobs

Thanks Andrew.

All is working fine (until windows does it evil thing again)
Old 14-07-2014, 11:02 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderchildobs View Post
Thanks Andrew.

All is working fine (until windows does it evil thing again)
Brendan, if you stick to plugging things in the same ports (maybe in the same order) every single time then Windoze's idiotsyncrasies shouldn't bite you.