Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 05-08-2020, 09:08 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

My aim on this one is to generate an image that is a very wide scale but higher resolution than you normally see, but with enough subs on each panel that the noise is really restrained as well. It makes it a bit of a project when it was going to be 12 panels at least, plus some tricks and extra panels to solve some reflection issues, and I could only really get date the handful of days each side of the new moon. If the weather had played ball I would have got all I wanted.

At least restarting it with the ASI2600 it increases the area of each panel and will probably cut it to 9 panels from 12.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:19 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

I think by saying that wide field images 'rule' is really saying that they can be more popular for the masses that are only looking for a pretty picture. As to one's personal opinion, it really depends on what you are looking for be it technical perfection or a reasonably realistic portrayal of the object that you are imaging.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:11 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

This is such a thought provoking thread and strangely, it got me to thinking something similar, namely, what is better?.. long shoe laces or short? a difficult and complex topic I know. I find the long ones can go through the many holes of my high top hiking boots but the short ones just don't have the same effect there, so I use those in my ankle height shoes, like my runners for when I am walking/running or just going to the shop and tend to keep the long shoe laces for my hiking and work boots, for the mountain trips and construction work, it's really cool, works a treat

..but in the end horses for courses I guess?

Mike

Last edited by strongmanmike; 07-08-2020 at 11:23 PM.
Old 21-08-2020, 09:47 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

I'm only starting out at this, but I'd really like to try imaging small galaxies and planetary nebulae with my mak. I think the detail would be very good, but a high degree of difficulty @ 2700mm f/l native, pushing it out to 5400mm with my 2x powermate. I have my NEQ6 head on a nice pier, but would need to really have the tracking dialed in, which I'm struggling with at the moment.