Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 13-08-2020, 07:54 PM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_ View Post
I don't own the L-Pro, but have the L-Enhance. Apparently that is 7mm with thread or 5mm without thread, so it should fit OK I would think. It isn't something I actually checked so... I hope

On the mechanical diagram for the drawer it looks like it has 8mm of clearance, and ZWO's own filters are 5mm high without thread so I assume it will fit. That said, the size of the Optolong I obtained from a review, I haven't seen it listed on an official spec sheet...

The L-Enhance and L-Pro are dressed the same, so if your L-Enhance fits, then I should be right.

Would appreciate it if you can confirm when you have all the parts. I have yet to order the filter. Still shopping around, so it might be a while.

I'm still building my image train trying to sort out the required back-focus distance.
Old 13-08-2020, 08:07 PM
Craig_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidy View Post
The L-Enhance and L-Pro are dressed the same, so if your L-Enhance fits, then I should be right.

Would appreciate it if you can confirm when you have all the parts. I have yet to order the filter. Still shopping around, so it might be a while.

I'm still building my image train trying to sort out the required back-focus distance.
No problem. It's not supposed to arrive until next week according to DHL but given it arrived in Sydney so fast maybe it will hit tomorrow instead.

The Esprit 80 I image on thankfully has a fairly uncomplicated back focus. The rings that came with the scope and the camera were all that was needed The filter drawer at 21mm perfectly replaces one of the camera rings, so happy days there.
Old 13-08-2020, 08:21 PM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
No problem. It's not supposed to arrive until next week according to DHL but given it arrived in Sydney so fast maybe it will hit tomorrow instead.

The Esprit 80 I image on thankfully has a fairly uncomplicated back focus. The rings that came with the scope and the camera were all that was needed The filter drawer at 21mm perfectly replaces one of the camera rings, so happy days there.

Haha, yeah well, I can't say the same. My Edge HD needs exactly 146.05mm and I want to use the focal reducer but can't even get the rear collar (I think it's called an adapter plate) off as it seems to be stuck. Need to buy a strap wrench.

I thought astrophotography was meant to be fun? Well, I wouldn't know as all I've contended with so far are issues
Old 13-08-2020, 08:25 PM
Craig_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidy View Post
Haha, yeah well, I can't say the same. My Edge HD needs exactly 146.05mm and I want to use the focal reducer but can't even get the rear collar (I think it's called an adapter plate) off as it seems to be stuck. Need to buy a strap wrench.

I thought astrophotography was meant to be fun? Well, I wouldn't know as all I've contended with so far are issues
Apparently the introduction of a filter to the optical path can also impact backfocus I am already using the Enhance (it screws into one of the extension rings after the field flattener) so it seems to be fine for me, but if you need 146.05 exactly you may also need to account for the thickness of the filter glass... apparently. I think the Esprit has a small margin of error in the back focus rather than needing absolute precision.
Old 13-08-2020, 08:27 PM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
Apparently the introduction of a filter to the optical path can also impact backfocus I am already using the Enhance (it screws into one of the extension rings after the field flattener) so it seems to be fine for me, but if you need 146.05 exactly you may also need to account for the thickness of the filter glass... apparently. I think the Esprit has a small margin of error in the back focus rather than needing absolute precision.

Oh great, more problems
Old 13-08-2020, 08:48 PM
Hayden

Craig I ordered a ZWO ASI385MC for Planetary work. I have been using a modded EOS 450D for this up till now.
Old 14-08-2020, 11:39 AM
Craig_

My ZWO order just arrived

Ordered 07/08 (one item on backorder)
Shipped 11/08 (free shipping >$199USD - DHL)
Delivered 14/08
Old 14-08-2020, 11:59 AM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
My ZWO order just arrived

Ordered 07/08 (one item on backorder)
Shipped 11/08 (free shipping >$199USD - DHL)
Delivered 14/08

7 days! Not bad.